Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #3,421 of 41,060
The budget Stax was a Lambda normal bias and SRD-6/SB with a Fiio E7 and A1. Sounds really nice but distinctly metallic which some people might not like. Sound is pretty balanced and has good extension. It's clear and has good sound stage.

Vs ATH-AD700, the soundstage doesn't seem as wide but there's actual bass.
Vs M50, the metallic highs are sort of similar but the Lambda sounds more cohesive. The m50 bass sounds boomy in comparison.
Vs HD280, they don't really sound alike at all.

The Stax generally sounds better than other headphones I've listened to (K240S, SR60i, V6, mostly entry level). It seems fragile to me but I treat it carefully. The comfort is great because it's surprisingly light and has basically no clamping force. The sound leaks a lot though.

Hmmm. I'm thinking about getting a STAX rig too then, after I've saved up enough for an HE-500 first.
I might build an electrostat amplifier. Kevin Gilmore's design for a SS one seems very attractive, but I'll have a look around. After that I could buy a Lambda series one. Probably a 407, or a 507.

Soooo much stuff to buy, soooo little money to spend it on.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,422 of 41,060

Quote:
Very nice setup, obzilla.  Which Dell monitor is that, and where can one get that shelf? 
biggrin.gif

Yup, like above it is from Boltz. Heavy and sturdy as hell. I have another one just like it, with a 10" shelf on the bottome and industrial locking wheels.
They're a great outfit (Boltz), made in the US and relatively speaking a good deal for the money. Once I get my Woo WA22, I'll post a picture of that setup.

Quote:
Nice setup and great choice of music!

Nothing comes into this home without enduring the Rodrigo and Gabriela test 
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #3,432 of 41,060
I added a lamp today.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,435 of 41,060

Quote:
Whoa, very cool!  A penny for your thoughts on the WA3 and the HD650?

Thanks, I am pretty noob but i will try my best to describe  my experience, initially i used the halo claro(LME49720NA opamp) to drive my hd650, it's sounded good, very detailed, but the low was pretty hash, i get fatigue with only a few minutes of listening, i had EQ down the low to get a comfortable listen, i did some reading in head-fi, and concluded that the warm sound and price point of the wa3 suit me well, so i ordered it with Sylvania 7236 NOS and a pair of Philips 6922 JAN, i was right, the wa3 tamed my hd650, it sound great, it's no longer hash, i could listen for hour without fatigue, although i have to say i am not completely satisfied, i think it's probably because the wa3 haven't break-in completely with my around 10 hours of use,  also i am still using my halo claro as a temporary DAC,  i know that this is a rough work around the result is likely not the best. I will get a bifrost next month and i will update my experience after the break-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back