Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #3,451 of 41,158

It seems like I will always ask someone how there setup deals with Metal or fast-paced music, but really, how well does this setup do Metal?  It looks like a decent and nice setup to me.

Quote:
New bedside rig; sounds great for the small size. The Senns are growing on me big time...and as a consequence haven't placed the DT 990s on my skull for some time. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #3,453 of 41,158

Is that a Music Collector screen I see on your monitor? I also have the Tivolo stereo radio, mine's clock with  CD player, it's a great little unit. I'd like to find the sub for it a reasonable price.
Quote:
New pics for 2012

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #3,456 of 41,158
Ok, got a better picture of my dac/amp:

Here are my portables plus a custom 2 foot extension cable I had made so I can use comfortably from where I sit.  The adapter is from Vmoda (allows for smartphone compatible headphones to work with 1/4 adapters):

Surprisingly my Phonaks take a bit to push them.  Probably the most power hungry headphones I own.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,458 of 41,158
Quote:
Enough beer, or did your girl(LCD-2) need some too?
beerchug.gif

Those are just some of the empty bottles I've collected over the semester
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #3,459 of 41,158

well its basically unchanged as far as the system goes. theres my WA2 and WA6SE on the stand....

heres the 3 monitor setup again, now with eyefinity! 

also notice the cheap HTIB speakers on the wall, and the klipsch pro media 2.1 as well...

\

and here are all the headphones laying in my counter.

just got the dt 990s back from beyerdynamic and theres my brand new LCD-2!!!!oh and lets not forget the d2000!

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3,460 of 41,158

Quote:
It seems like I will always ask someone how there setup deals with Metal or fast-paced music, but really, how well does this setup do Metal?  It looks like a decent and nice setup to me.

I've yet to find any genre the HD600s don't do well. I listen to a lot of Tool, Chevelle, and Rock in general, and I have no complaints. I still have moments where my jaw just drops and I have to smile at how much fun I'm having. People say senns are usually laid back and have a...cough...cough...'veil' to the sound, but I have yet to find such a thing. I get impressive bass impact, beautiful mid range, and sweet treble. If I had to pick what this set up does well, or at least the HD600s, I would say guitars never sounded so clean, detailed, like an actual guitar to put it bluntly. Also, I don't miss the massive bass of my DT 990s, as the HD600 does well in this department and I feel it's a more realistic amount of bass. 

Back to your original question, yes this setup does Metal / Rock quite well for me, but I've always heard Grado rules in that department, a brand I have yet to delve into. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #3,461 of 41,158

Quote:
I've yet to find any genre the HD600s don't do well. I listen to a lot of Tool, Chevelle, and Rock in general, and I have no complaints. I still have moments where my jaw just drops and I have to smile at how much fun I'm having. People say senns are usually laid back and have a...cough...cough...'veil' to the sound, but I have yet to find such a thing. I get impressive bass impact, beautiful mid range, and sweet treble. If I had to pick what this set up does well, or at least the HD600s, I would say guitars never sounded so clean, detailed, like an actual guitar to put it bluntly. Also, I don't miss the massive bass of my DT 990s, as the HD600 does well in this department and I feel it's a more realistic amount of bass. 

Back to your original question, yes this setup does Metal / Rock quite well for me, but I've always heard Grado rules in that department, a brand I have yet to delve into. 
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, if you like the hd 600s now when it comes to rock, you ain't heard nothing yet. wait till you pop in a pair of SR-325is and play Forty-Six & 2 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,462 of 41,158

Quote:
+1 I love the synergy between my Sennheisers and the EF2A, especially with the NOS Raytheon tubes.

Thanks. I bought a bunch of tubes off of ebay, some Tung Sol and Raytheon, and I'm having fun swapping and attempting to put a finger on the change in sound. Good way to burn up some free time.  =)        Could I ask what your source / DAC is? I have an issue with the massive amounts of gain on the EF2A. I have to put iTunes on half volume to be able to turn the EF2A up at all and not blow a driver. I'd be curious to know if you have the same 'issue', and how you work around it with sound quality in mind.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3,463 of 41,158

Quote:
Thanks. I bought a bunch of tubes off of ebay, some Tung Sol and Raytheon, and I'm having fun swapping and attempting to put a finger on the change in sound. Good way to burn up some free time.  =)        Could I ask what your source / DAC is? I have an issue with the massive amounts of gain on the EF2A. I have to put iTunes on half volume to be able to turn the EF2A up at all and not blow a driver. I'd be curious to know if you have the same 'issue', and how you work around it with sound quality in mind.

I have the same problem, unfortunately, with my EF2A and HD580s. I usually set my system volume in Windows to 85-94% so that I can turn the volume pot up high enough to be free of channel imbalance. I don't have this issue when I plug in my iPod or CD player line-out into the amp, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back