Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #1,876 of 41,293
The whole mid-fi thing drives me crazy. To me it just smacks of elitism and is completely ridiculous. Get what you like, get what you can afford and classification be damned.

Quote:
Aw, man!

Don't put me in a category I ain't ready for yet.  I would rather be at the upper border of the mid-fi than the very bottom of the hi-fi category. 

Everything in my setup is sub four figures, doesn't that qualify me for mid-fi status?  I HAD to get the LCD-2s recabled and the only reason I could get them is because I had a rad tax return. 

Anyway, there are only two tube amps, with the one on top being cheaper than the Lyr.  And the thing to the left is my DAC (Havana), which was the last thing I did before jumping to the vinyl.

Mid-fi 'till I die!!  Or until I get a much more lucrative job!

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,877 of 41,293
I certainly could care less, truthfully. 

To be honest, I got the only stamp of approval I wanted a few days ago.  My dad listened to the system on his recent visit.  When I put "Breakdown" on by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, the deal was done.  He realized I had done some research or, at the very least, gotten lucky. 

He approved.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,878 of 41,293
...thanks for that Head-Fi (and 32 Ohm Audio in Portland).

beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,879 of 41,293

Quote:
I certainly could care less, truthfully. 

To be honest, I got the only stamp of approval I wanted a few days ago.  My dad listened to the system on his recent visit.  When I put "Breakdown" on by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, the deal was done.  He realized I had done some research or, at the very least, gotten lucky. 

He approved.

I'd say the only stamp of approval needed is your own.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,881 of 41,293

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #1,883 of 41,293
Those are the JB3 by John Blue.  As with many of my purchases through my local store, I went in kind of wanting something different, but with the ability to "test-drive," I quickly ended up with these.  I bought the dac/amp combo at that store (before diving into the Lyr/Havana combo), and I used their model to test out some speakers.

Those JB3 speakers ROCK!  They really get the full range in a few songs.  They can sound thin at times, but with more than a few recordings they absolutely sing.  I mentioned "Breakdown" in an earlier post, the JB3s seem to hit every frequency in that song.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/johnblue/jb3.html

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #1,888 of 41,293

My music creation and listening station. The only audiophile cans I have at the moment are my M50s (I'm too poor to hang onto anything else when I can make money), but I also have some generic cans that I'm too lazy to identify (left), Sennheiser CX150 (Center), and WeSC Maracas (Right). The WeSC cans are actually surprisingly good for $40-dollar style headphones, and the CX150s are okay for cheap bass buds. A friend of mine is currently borrowing my FiiO E3 and my Bithead is in another room hooked to a desktop for better internet music experience, but you can see my Yamaha keyboard, Washburn Lyon, crap CD player, and my $10 Aldi-bought bean-bag chair that I use instead of buying myself a desk for my netbook. My favorite CDs (punk, jazz, and ska) are in the right corner next to my guitar amp.

It's a very basic setup and not very nice, but it lets me compose my stuff (instrumental techno and punk) and hear it through various cans. I use the M50s when composing, but after I record bare-bones melodies on my keyboard I play them back through all of the other HPs.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #1,889 of 41,293
My HeadFi / Work station. All my inspiration comes from this station, definitely can't live without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back