Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #40,621 of 41,119
Mojo OG out, Mojo 2 in :L3000:

IMG_20240318_155846.jpg

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #40,623 of 41,119
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #40,624 of 41,119
IMG_7551.jpeg

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #40,628 of 41,119
@jonathan c what made you decide on the Musician Taurus DAC? Looking at some of their stuff now , interesting.
Great setup there looks awesome.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #40,629 of 41,119
I've seen & heard this amp at several shows. It was everywhere in CanJam/NYC a couple weeks ago. IMO it looks and sounds beautiful.
sounds even better then she looks

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #40,631 of 41,119
@jonathan c what made you decide on the Musician Taurus DAC? Looking at some of their stuff now , interesting.
Great setup there looks awesome.
• I have been using Mojo Audio EVO Mystique for almost four years and was looking for a 'backup' R2R NOS/OS DAC -- just in case of Mystique operational outage.
• I did research in the R2R arena, read commentaries on Draco, on Pegasus, on Aquarius. Then I thought: "why not top of the line?"
• Taurus price is a fraction of that of the specific Mystique (plus updates) that I have. Also, the distributor that I used is Power Holdings - which handles Lake People, Violectric, Keces and others. I greatly trust Arthur Power's judgement as to brands with which he is affiliated.
• All the above, for me, made the purchase of Taurus a low-risk proposition. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #40,632 of 41,119
• I have been using Mojo Audio EVO Mystique for almost four years and was looking for a 'backup' R2R NOS/OS DAC -- just in case of Mystique operational outage.
• I did research in the R2R arena, read commentaries on Draco, on Pegasus, on Aquarius. Then I thought: "why not top of the line?"
• Taurus price is a fraction of that of the specific Mystique (plus updates) that I have. Also, the distributor that I used is Power Holdings - which handles Lake People, Violectric, Keces and others. I greatly trust Arthur Power's judgement as to brands with which he is affiliated.
• All the above, for me, made the purchase of Taurus a low-risk proposition. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Next, you'll have to do a complete 180 and get a Cen.Grand from Power Holdings. Multibit? Nahbro you only need one 😜

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #40,633 of 41,119
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #40,634 of 41,119
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #40,635 of 41,119
20240318_200210.jpg

Oh man, in the battle of the previous gen DACs, the Spring 2 KTE may be losing out. Finally fired up the DS DAC mk1 after a long break and for some time now the poor spring has sat there with "UNLOCK" on its screen.

When I got the Spring it made me realize how multibit tends to have a certain character, especially in the bass, that I was kind of missing. But now that I'm running Ian Canada HATs on a raspberry pi 5 and feeding the DS DAC i2s, it feels like a game changer. The bass feels much fuller now. What a difference a source makes!

It's interesting to me how much s**t the DS DAC tends to get. People mod it saying that the xformers were incorrectly selected as well as changing out other components. And people complained about what apparently was extremely low-level xformer hum in the mk2 (you have to get your ear right next to the chasis in near silence to hear it I believe), as well as (IIRC) some ugly-looking frequency plots in the ultrasonic range.

Almost seems like Paul McGowan and Ted Smith, the DACs designer, just let their forums go in all directions, not trying to control the narrative or correct people, and this whole community of modders sprung up and the perception of flawed designs took hold. I actually kind of admire their laissez faire approach, and hey, you can get a DS DAC mk1 for a steal on the used market if you keep your eyes peeled.

Don't believe the haters, this is a fantastic DAC if your taste is anything like mine! May be a spring 1 or 2 KTE in the classifieds soon 🙂 Just gotta decide which one I'll use in the studio for DSD mastering. /endrant

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back