Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 23, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #39,076 of 41,290
image.jpg

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #39,077 of 41,290
Oct 23, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #39,078 of 41,290
Living room minimal setup.
1000004380.jpg

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #39,079 of 41,290
IMG_20231023_172809__01.jpg

What I'm currently looking at after a long weekend of reorganizing my gear. The chain you see is audiolab 6000cdt coax > audio-gd R-1 NOS RCA > nakamichi receiver 2 > my hd600's and at-wp900's.

Joe Hisaishi - Best selection

While the nakamichi is a temporary headphone amp, this sounds very pleasant and has kept me listening for over two hours.

I have a lot of gear and making the right decisions financially is very hard when you enjoy multiple amp's sound equally. I would like to hold on to this audio-gd because it's honestly the most unique component I own. Everything else though will need much more consideration, especially in this economy.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #39,080 of 41,290
20231024_013333.jpg

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #39,081 of 41,290

What I'm currently looking at after a long weekend of reorganizing my gear. The chain you see is audiolab 6000cdt coax > audio-gd R-1 NOS RCA > nakamichi receiver 2 > my hd600's and at-wp900's.

While the nakamichi is a temporary headphone amp, this sounds very pleasant and has kept me listening for over two hours.

I have a lot of gear and making the right decisions financially is very hard when you enjoy multiple amp's sound equally. I would like to hold on to this audio-gd because it's honestly the most unique component I own. Everything else though will need much more consideration, especially in this economy.
What do you intend by reorganising your gear? Do you mean system reconfiguration?

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #39,082 of 41,290
Working on a project to route my Lyr 3 to my living room table from the Eversolo XLR outputs. Then I can run the stereo system off of the RCA outputs and the Lyr from the XLR outputs (with adapters). Then if I want to sit on the couch and enjoy the headphones versus the speakers it's as easy as switching the output in cast mode on the phone control app for the Eversolo.

IMG_3645.jpeg

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #39,083 of 41,290
Excellent setup! […. Strayngs II update? 🤣]
Ha! it would be a bit dangerous to get a pic of him now with a pair of headphones on….2.5 yrs LOL. Headphones would have almost zero odds LOL. He is great though. He has grown a big Afro now days.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #39,084 of 41,290
Ha! it would be a bit dangerous to get a pic of him now with a pair of headphones on….2.5 yrs LOL. Headphones would have almost zero odds LOL. He is great though. He has grown a big Afro now days.

Well, if there is some kind of silver lining to the post-pandemic death of RMAF, it is that at least @Strayngs now has more money in their wallet.

*looks at the current picture of @Strayngs listening station*

Oh...nevermind. :wink:

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #39,085 of 41,290
Well, if there is some kind of silver lining to the post-pandemic death of RMAF, it is that at least @Strayngs now has more money in their wallet.

*looks at the current picture of @Strayngs listening station*

Oh...nevermind. :wink:
LOL. I do miss RMAF!

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #39,086 of 41,290

Nakamichi headphone amp circuits were/are typically quite good... implemented exceptionally well across almost all models from 1988 to 1994 and on par or even better than most of the Sony ES Line headphone outputs on similar equipment of the same time period. The RE-1 and the slightly lower-powered RE-2 both employed a novel wide-band, low-gain open loop high current amplification circuit design which was implemented at all stages of the receiver. Another key feature was/is Nakamichi's unique (and quite expensive for the time) isolated ground circuit system which stops interference noise around the ground line which makes for a pin-drop quiet background perfect for headphone listening. Additionally, Nakamichi remotes were/are awesome too! I hope you have yours still.

Even though your Nakamichi RE-2 headphone rated output is only 129 mW with an output impedance of 40Ω it could/can still drive both low and high impedance headphones with ease due to it's unique circuit's high current mode. So even with your 38Ω rated ATH-WP900 headphones I wouldn't be concerned about the 40Ω output impedance as Nakimichi engineers who designed the RE-1/RE-2 would tell you this was purposeful and will have no effect on any dynamic driver all the way down to 16Ω. Again the 1/8 rule doesn't always apply equally across all amplifier designs (e.g. Sony's S-Master HX) and transducers types and in this particular case you probably already have confirmed this by how good your ATH-WP900 and HD 600 headphones perform plugged into it :wink: . So outside of their tape decks, which are wonderful but problematic with age due to failing belts and difficult to procure parts, Nakamichi's other audio components are well-known for their longevity and robust builds.

So I would sincerely offer that your setup is already kick ass as is! Unless of course you are going to buy some very power hungry/demanding headphones and/or if your Nakamichi Receiver 2 (RE-2) is not functioning well I would honestly urge you to think twice about getting rid of it.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #39,088 of 41,290
Nakamichi headphone amp circuits were/are typically quite good... implemented exceptionally well across almost all models from 1988 to 1994 and on par or even better than most of the Sony ES Line headphone outputs on similar equipment of the same time period. The RE-1 and the slightly lower-powered RE-2 both employed a novel wide-band, low-gain open loop high current amplification circuit design which was implemented at all stages of the receiver. Another key feature was/is Nakamichi's unique (and quite expensive for the time) isolated ground circuit system which stops interference noise around the ground line which makes for a pin-drop quiet background perfect for headphone listening. Additionally, Nakamichi remotes were/are awesome too! I hope you have yours still.

Even though your Nakamichi RE-2 headphone rated output is only 129 mW with an output impedance of 40Ω it could/can still drive both low and high impedance headphones with ease due to it's unique circuit's high current mode. So even with your 38Ω rated ATH-WP900 headphones I wouldn't be concerned about the 40Ω output impedance as Nakimichi engineers who designed the RE-1/RE-2 would tell you this was purposeful and will have no effect on any dynamic driver all the way down to 16Ω. Again the 1/8 rule doesn't always apply equally across all amplifier designs (e.g. Sony's S-Master HX) and transducers types and in this particular case you probably already have confirmed this by how good your ATH-WP900 and HD 600 headphones perform plugged into it :wink: . So outside of their tape decks, which are wonderful but problematic with age due to failing belts and difficult to procure parts, Nakamichi's other audio components are well-known for their longevity and robust builds.

So I would sincerely offer that your setup is already kick ass as is! Unless of course you are going to buy some very power hungry/demanding headphones and/or if your Nakamichi Receiver 2 (RE-2) is not functioning well I would honestly urge you to think twice about getting rid of it.

Thank you for this info! Yeah the only reason I would have to use another amp would just be to side grade. I don't have the remote for mine so I might hunt for a used one. Also the plastic headphone jack snapped at the threads internally so I have a 1/4" adapter holding up the jack through the front panel. Works fine but would be cool to upgrade. I bought this receiver 2 for introductory use with my new infinity speakers since I was tired of fantasizing over $1k+ amps.

Also with the receiver in normal setting i can hear the hiss of the noise floor instantly when I turn the volume. I noticed that there is a audio mute button and mine still lets out some signal like a -20db switch kinda; not sure if its working right. With the mute enabled the noise on the headphone output goes away and I can crank up to 9 on the volume at the loudest. I'm yet to find a headphone amp that lets me past 12 without hearing the noise floor or becoming unlistenably loud.

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #39,089 of 41,290
20231024_213711.jpg

Here comes my latest addition of Nagra 300P, driven by 4 Elrog 300B in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back