Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #22,771 of 41,122
I have worked there for the last 4 years in the "renovation" unfortunately it is going to looks nothing like that once finished and the only place you can see it from is the river because they are building so much stuff right around it!

939-Aerial_River.0.0.1475135014.0.jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #22,772 of 41,122
I have worked there for the last 4 years in the "renovation" unfortunately it is going to looks nothing like that once finished and the only place you can see it from is the river because they are building so much stuff right around it!

Thanks for the insight and the great pic.
Looks much different than the place that was used for the Pink Floyd Animals album in 1977.
I saw a show from the Animals tour in Cleveland, Ohio....great stuff!

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #22,773 of 41,122
Just remodeled
DSC_2052.JPG

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #22,775 of 41,122
I recently finished building a new audio stand out of ash and re-purposed the old hardware from my Salamander stand. I wanted something a bit wider and with three legs instead of four. It's a lot heavier and more sturdy than the MDF they use!

003.JPG

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #22,776 of 41,122
I recently finished building a new audio stand out of ash and re-purposed the old hardware from my Salamander stand. I wanted something a bit wider and with three legs instead of four. It's a lot heavier and more sturdy than the MDF they use!

So you did the ash glue-ups, edge relief, wood finishing--and used three steel stands from previous table/stand? That's nice work!

I never worked with ash. Heard it's pretty hard, but no nothing else. Grain looks rather nice.

Edge-glued wood, especially when the difference pieces are carefully matched in grain cross-sectional direction to avoid cupping, is 1000x sturdier than MDF. Sturdier even than wide wooden boards...

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #22,777 of 41,122

looks great

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #22,778 of 41,122
So you did the ash glue-ups, edge relief, wood finishing--and used three steel stands from previous table/stand? That's nice work!

I never worked with ash. Heard it's pretty hard, but no nothing else. Grain looks rather nice.

Edge-glued wood, especially when the difference pieces are carefully matched in grain cross-sectional direction to avoid cupping, is 1000x sturdier than MDF. Sturdier even than wide wooden boards...
Oh I didn't do nearly that much work, I just purchased the wood sized, routed and roughly finished. I just had to perform some finishing, sanding, drilling, and staining.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #22,779 of 41,122

Fantastic work. And three legs! Wish I had those woodworking skills. I have my living room stereo on my original 6-level Salamander Designs Archetype System stand (Natural Cherry) I bought back in 1995, I think through an ad in Stereophile or Stereo Review.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #22,780 of 41,122

Really liking that head stand, dont you find those types flatten the pads on 650s? mine molded to my head at a certain angle and i wouldn't want to ruin that.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #22,781 of 41,122
Really liking that head stand, dont you find those types flatten the pads on 650s? mine molded to my head at a certain angle and i wouldn't want to ruin that.

Yes! That's why he has the 600s hanging and the 650s on the stand :p

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #22,782 of 41,122

There's a simple solution to that should you want a head-shaped stand: have an anatomically perfect mold of your head done. Problem solved.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #22,783 of 41,122
Yes! That's why he has the 600s hanging and the 650s on the stand :p

Yup! The HD600's have the headband pad from the HD650's, so the depression in the foam is a perfect spot to hang them. The HD650's have been on the ceramic phrenology stand for a while and have never had issues with ear pads or headband pad deforming.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #22,784 of 41,122
There's a simple solution to that should you want a head-shaped stand: have an anatomically perfect mold of your head done. Problem solved.

Actually, probably not. To whatever extent any stand (whether a curved piece of wood, or a head-shaped stand based on a mold of one's head) allows pads to compress against it 24/7--that constant compression becomes the problem.

I'm reminded of the Sennheiser HD650, a headphone whose pads are pretty well known for eventually getting played (compressed to the extent they stay somewhat compressed), with the result this excellent sounding headphone starts to sound like ass. Just the pads will do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back