Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #18,016 of 41,090
  Had far too much time on my hands last year. Wait, WHAT, I joined in 2012, well.. Um. I've been at this for a lot longer than I thought.. 

Anyways, just buy a budget headphone, which you already have, so leave. Or else, you won't have any money, ever!
eek.gif

I also started about around the same time.  For me it was because my old bose has just gone kaput and I had no idea what to get, so a good friend of mine told me to look up suggestions here.  Unfortunately for me I got way more into than him and am now a proud owner of way too much audio equipment.  Also I have always loved to build things, so DIY was a great way to get back into that...again unfortunately for my wallet.   All of this started for me when I decided to mod a pair of Fostex T50RPs.  

May 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #18,017 of 41,090
  I'm a 14 year old budding audiophile. All I've got now is a great pair of HD518s and an iPod Classic. How do you guys get started with this art of audiophilism?

You get started by looking for the next best thing for your system Either an update of phone or source. Looking for a positive change in the "I never heard that in the recording before zone." In your case you could compare the classic;s output to  your computers using flac files and see what difference it might make.

May 12, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #18,018 of 41,090

Testing mess on my desk.

My Rega DAC has Gone. A Metrum Octave came in  and lastly a Fiio E09k+E07k combo joined my desk.

I'm currently testing the Focal Spirit Pro vs Spirit Classic Vs NAD HP50 and Im comparing to my Ultrasone Signature pro and my HD800.
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #18,019 of 41,090
Ain't much but it's home. 
At some point I'd like to desk/wall mount the monitors ( or trade/sell them for some 1440p goodness ) and pick up a nice DAC/AMP combo dedicated for headphones, nothing wrong with the M38 for my speakers, but for Headphones it's very noisy and not in the right way. A lot of hissing as you'd expect from a cheaper computers front panel jack. 

iTunes> Denon M38 > Mordaunt-Short / Philips Fidelio X1

May 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #18,020 of 41,090

Testing mess on my desk.

My Rega DAC has Gone. A Metrum Octave came in  and lastly a Fiio E09k+E07k combo joined my desk.

I'm currently testing the Focal Spirit Pro vs Spirit Classic Vs NAD HP50 and Im comparing to my Ultrasone Signature pro and my HD800. :rolleyes:  
Please let me know what u think, I have the sig pro, had the 800 and may buy the focal.

May 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #18,021 of 41,090
Please let me know what u think, I have the sig pro, had the 800 and may buy the focal.

When I'll have a definitive opininon I'll give it in the SIg pro appreciation thread :wink: .

This headphone remains my favorite closed headphone and my favorite complement for my HD800. That been said, the focal headphones and the Nad represents IMO a tremendous value and they're maybe "better/cleaner" headphones. If you already own a sig pro , I don't think that purchasing a Focal Spirit pro is really useful. the FSP has a more balanced sound with definetely more mids but overally the SIg pro stays a more impressive headphone that brings something really special to the table. The choice can depend of what you usually listen to . Focal Spirit pro & Classic and the NAD Viso HP50 are really impressive and my preferred is the FSP by a slight but real margin because of its perfect balance and its overally crisp and clear sound while the NAD & the Spirit Classic offer a more relaxed (Focal Classic) or slightgly colored ( NAD) warmer sound.  THe Sig pro is less neutral than the FSP but sound so real to my ears with more detail, more depth, more textured sound , thicker bass, crispier treble. it's sooo engaging to my ears. Focals sound a bit too polite and the NAD is slightly too mellow compared to the Ultrasone.

My 2 cents.

May 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #18,022 of 41,090
Had a vision of doing a nice little headphone station setup awhile now, this weekend I finally finished it after I picked up the Perfectwave DAC.
I now have a little corner of the house I can call my own, the mrs. loved it too which was a plus, she actually sat there listening to music for the first time ever, and she was pretty impressed.

An Idyllic set up. Congrats 
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #18,023 of 41,090
  An Idyllic set up. Congrats 
beerchug.gif

I am seriously enjoying this tiny little corner of the world thank you appreciate the kind words.

May 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #18,026 of 41,090

You should really try my Grado pads mod:

Here's my improvised stand up computer station next to my bed:

I've been on that clothing drawer for three months but I just got a proper desk that I'm going to jack up (*May 20th edit, actually I'm changing place again, and I'll still be desk-less). No chairs to be found in my room.

May 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #18,027 of 41,090
Hello! Bought some new tubes here from another head-fi user :)

May 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #18,028 of 41,090
Just got my station back together with my new turntable! Little cluttered, but cozy, just like I like it. Really proud of my vintage/modern mix, such a great sounding system and headphone system. The 2252b is a beast of a headphone amp.

Overall room in my apartment. Been working on it for a while, just got my turntable back!

Really rare old fully automatic Pioneer table that has been in service for five months...mostly in perfect condition, but it pretty much just runs semi-automatic, as I have to put the needle down on the record. Other than that, it sounds wonderful and works great. My old one busted, but I saved the excellent AT cartridge it had on it.

Model PL-455, was impossible to get our hands on one for parts because it doesn't look like they made a lot of them. Great table.

My Sennheisers.

The Sennheiser Momentum (my portable phones.)

Audio rack, an old Salamander.

My prized treasure, my restored Marantz 2252b.

My MartinLogan 8" sub (perfect for music in an apartment.)

B&W M1, great little speakers with an awful speaker terminal.

May 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #18,029 of 41,090
This might be of interest:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/708714/dallas-tx-sunday-june-1st-2014-the-fickle-force-of-june-meetup

May 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #18,030 of 41,090
  Just got my station back together with my new turntable! Little cluttered, but cozy, just like I like it. Really proud of my vintage/modern mix, such a great sounding system and headphone system. The 2252b is a beast of a headphone amp.

My prized treasure, my restored Marantz 2252b.

Dat Marantz... mmmmmmmm 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back