Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #17,596 of 41,326
When there are enough records that you can almost say they are a load bearing wall...
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #17,597 of 41,326
so is it more than 4000 ? 

I estimate ~5K; never counted. If you include the 7 boxes of lesser pressings in my closet, add a few hundred more. I don't shop at garage sales - well, not since the good stuff was mostly spoken for in the 90s, some by me - don't shop at thrift stores. Quality is paramount.

Going back ~15-20 years, it was harder and harder to buy new LPs, especially the kind of stuff I look for. New titles? Forgetaboutit. So, I got myself an account with a couple of distributors, started receiving bulletins with new releases, and supplemented my collection in such a manner. As such, I have quite a few titles that are highly sought after, almost solely, because they were rarely seen in stores. I also worked in radio for a time, and have many promos. My stint in the audio business brought in just as many audiophile pressings, and so it goes. I still go record shopping weekly, but these days my purchases are ~60% CD. So inexpensive, they're hard to pass up.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #17,598 of 41,326
When there are enough records that you can almost say they are a load bearing wall... :blink:

:D

:)

We knew that shelves would have to be built before moving into the house. It took about a year to get all the ducks in a row. During that time, the boxes of LPs sat in a spare bedroom. After 6-8 months, we noticed crack starting to develop between the floor and the wall closest to the boxes. Needless to say, the shelves are indeed built on a load-bearing wall.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #17,599 of 41,326
Even though there are 3 dedicated headamps (4 if you count the receiver) and 8 cans in the pics, you're right - it's not a headphone system. Thank you for the kind words.

Am sorry..didnt see that correctly..i was confused by the huge speakers..what brand are they?

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #17,600 of 41,326
smily_headphones1.gif

We knew that shelves would have to be built before moving into the house. It took about a year to get all the ducks in a row. During that time, the boxes of LPs sat in a spare bedroom. After 6-8 months, we noticed crack starting to develop between the floor and the wall closest to the boxes. Needless to say, the shelves are indeed built on a load-bearing wall.

Well it seems that you've already exceeded the one wall. Clearly, the only solution is to buy a new house
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #17,601 of 41,326
Am sorry..didnt see that correctly..i was confused by the huge speakers..what brand are they?

They're Dunlavy SCIV.

It's my third pair of Dunlavys. Started out with SCIV. They were black and I truly hated that, so when an opportunity came up to upgrade to SCV - about 70% bigger (for reference) - in a finish of my choice, I jumped on it and ordered a pair in cherry. Had those for 7 years or so, and decided that I liked the SCIV better. So I'm back to SCIV and very happy about it. Plus, they're not nearly as demanding of a partnering amplifier, making my life easier with 2 kids approaching college-age.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #17,603 of 41,326

You should really try my Grado pads mod:

My station is really simplistic, not sure if temporary, but it's doing the job. It consists of a fairly narrow 1-meter long stand up desk :) it's a chest of drawers, with no chair to be found anywhere close to it, I hate those); the keyboard and mouse on top of it fall at navel height on one end, and on the other (facing the wall) lies a jacked up laptop with its screen at just over a meter (or ~1.5x arm) from me, and the only thing lying between me and the computer is ^that^ headphone's resting place (on toilet paper squares). Accessories and adapters are in the drawers inside my “desk”, and I'm not using any amplifier or external DAC, even though I own a few in storage (those in my signature).

I've moved in this room 2 months ago and I'm finding myself satisfied with just that and a bed right next to it. I have a few boxes of stuff that I've not opened but really not that much stuff at all.

I most certainly will! :)

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #17,606 of 41,326

still having a lot of fun with the combo thanks to a couple of members who helped in the journey :)

on orders the JKenny usb to SPDIF converter to , hopefully, improve the combo 

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #17,610 of 41,326
Nice setup! New Matrix mini-i (I had the original once upon a time) and a WA6 without a rectifier 
blink.gif
 or a really small hidden one.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back