Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #17,116 of 41,070
I might have to pick up some Sweet Potatoes to go with dinner tonight! 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #17,117 of 41,070

this is my bedroom set up not as good as most i'v seen but it does the job very well for me.

Unless you have it EQ'd out, that's got to be quite a bassy setup. The Reference One is an extremely hard-hitting can.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #17,119 of 41,070

Really enjoying this retro 80's stack. The great thing about buying vintage gear is that you can pretty much change your system every month for not much money. None of those individual components cost more than $100.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #17,120 of 41,070

Really enjoying this retro 80's stack. The great thing about buying vintage gear is that you can pretty much change your system every month for not much money. None of those individual components cost more than $100.  

x2  Rotel, NAD, Carver, technics, Marantz... Great gear for the $$$.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #17,123 of 41,070
  I don't think it is overly bassey at all. But then again i am new to all this. i don't think the referance  1s are any more bassey than my sennheiser HD435

It's possible that Klipsch has retuned the design since I last owned a pair (~2 years ago), since they got a lot of criticism from audiophiles who said they were far too bassy. I found them good a portables, but I agree with the general consensus that they need to be EQ'd down somewhat.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #17,126 of 41,070
What is this?

Abraxas audio Spud.

I think they were available in either kit or assembled for more $$.  I wonder how they get around not having filter caps in the output stage?  I was told a filter capacitance reservoir is required even though output transformers only pass AC.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #17,127 of 41,070
My amplifier...

Single ended pentode by Jef Larson...tube rectified 6CL6 Spud

Sexy!
Is it based on some design that can be build as diy or only from jeff?

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #17,128 of 41,070
Sexy!
Is it based on some design that can be build as diy or only from jeff?

I am not sure how active Jef is. We must wait to see if/when he relaunches his site: http://abraxas.jefdeb.com/
The old site had lots of schematics and ideas so hopefully the new site will be equally useful.

An early version is sold in kit by a friend of Jef's. http://spudkit.com/
If you read through all the Hawthorne forums you'll also see modifications by Terry G to upgrade the kit.

Jef's builds do exceed the kit in every way. He went all out on mine, including screen regulation and the headphone adapter/output.

Cheers!

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #17,129 of 41,070
  Abraxas audio Spud.

I think they were available in either kit or assembled for more $$.  I wonder how they get around not having filter caps in the output stage?  I was told a filter capacitance reservoir is required even though output transformers only pass AC.

Jef (Abraxas) doesn't sell kits but he does give away a lot of his ideas. His old site was renowned for it's content.
The kit version was based on the second Spud Jef designed (V2) around 2007 but is different from mine.
I don't think Jerry, who made up and sold the kits, even credits Jef for the original design anymore.

Jef has only built 4-5 Spuds over the years, each one a little better.
Mine is his latest (V4), built because he had some new ideas re: screen regulation and also preloaded the output transformer secondary for the phones.
He doesn't like to build the same amp twice unless someone really asks for one. 
Sorry, can't answer your technical questions, but the amp is genius on speakers or cans.
I couldn't be happier....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back