Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #40,036 of 41,463
Actually, i meant making a sacrificial offering of bubble-wrap - the Shipping Gods are a fickle bunch. I guess now that I had to explain the joke, it must not have been all that good.🤷‍♂️
But $200 shipping… ouch!
It would have been $125.00 to ship it in slow motion, as I got it back. Yikes!

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #40,038 of 41,463
It would have been $125.00 to ship it in slow motion, as I got it back. Yikes!
I'm not sure if I missed it, but what went wrong with it? Your story has me a bit scared for my v281.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #40,039 of 41,463
As long as you are not in love with a pair of zmf headphones and living in Europe, specially Spain
Really...I pay 35-40% in total (no shipping calculated). Can you beat that?? :)

Not a while ago, I ordered some cables from the UK.

The law is that you don't pay customs if you order below 150 euros. Hmm, yeah, but they found a way to rip you off even then.

The post office (a public company, obviously) billed me 25 euros more because they allegedly opened the package.

Wow, that was hard work. I completely understand why they had to be rewarded 25 euros for such work.

So...Spain :)

Cheers!

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #40,040 of 41,463
I'm not sure if I missed it, but what went wrong with it? Your story has me a bit scared for my v281.
It just started cutting out and the bottom two lights would start flashing. As far as Violectric goes, I got this from Fried Reim:

"Hi Shane
We fixed your amp finally.
We replaced the input opamps and the fault never showed up during the past days.
We will ship tomorrow to your place, please check the address from the invoices attached.
Please note that this is no warranty repair because your item is too old (the 5-year warranty ended in November and I didn't have the receipt) and the fault was not caused by bad components or flaws from our work.
Maybe it was caused from EMC voltage on the inputs."

After speaking to Arthur, he dropped the service charge and I just paid shipping back. I still really have no idea what went wrong.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #40,041 of 41,463
I don't know if Asian stuff is cheaper/easier for Europeans than North Americans?
I don't know about Canada...but the US gets cheaper than Europe, and that's not all.

We don't pay the same in Europe either.

My country is near the bottom of that list; we always pay a bit extra, VAT is different, and it is 25% in my country. :) or :frowning2:

But $200 shipping… ouch!
amazon.jpg

An example is when you order from the US.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #40,042 of 41,463
I don't know about Canada...but the US gets cheaper than Europe, and that's not all.

My country is near the bottom of that list; we always pay a bit extra, VAT is different, and it is 25% in my country. :) or :frowning2:

amazon.jpg
Wow!
When we buy from the US we have to convert currencies (multiply the US price by about 1.35) and then pay tax at the border. For my province it is 15%. Not as bad as you guys, but it stings.

Asian stuff is usually free shipping and sometimes tax free.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #40,043 of 41,463
The law is that you don't pay customs if you order below 150 euros. Hmm, yeah, but they found a way to rip you off even then.

That's not quite correct. Since the change of European law in 2021, all purchases, or even gifts, from outside the EU are eligible for VAT (IVA in Spain). Products under 22€ used to be exempt of VAT on import.

What they set up was a system where anything that costs less than 150€ from an online portal would have VAT added at source and then the government would claim that back from the portal (such as AliExpress, Amazon outside EU etc.).

However, the seller has to opt in to that system and if they are not in the system and don't pay the VAT at source, then it is the importer that has to pay it.

What this has led to is all imports that are under 150€ that originate from a company or individual not on the list get stopped by the courier and the courier pays the VAT so they can then charge you a "handling fee" on top of it.

In the case of some companies such as FedEx and our beloved Correos (post office) they like to open all the packages, even the ones that are in the system to "check that the declared value is correct". They then proceed to charge you a fee for this as they never decide that the value is correct.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #40,046 of 41,463
On my last leg of vacation and snagged a brand new BHA100 amp while in Singapore.
Hotel desktop setup
IMG_7786.jpeg
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay (= US dollars)? And how does it sound?
Are you using NDH30's with it?

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #40,047 of 41,463

If I ordered that item from the US, my cost in Canadian dollars would be about $1710.00. Then add 15% tax and you're up to $1,967.00, without shipping.

But then you are paying that amount in US$'s. Yikes!

This is not a hobby for a poor man. :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #40,049 of 41,463

amazon.jpg
Sweet mother. It'd be cheaper to just pay somebody to keister it into the country for you

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #40,050 of 41,463
Running simplified:

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image0(13).jpeg
    image0(13).jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back