Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #40,021 of 41,463
My family is finally back together!
I sent my Violectric back to the Motherland for servicing. It took THREE months to get it back.
I paid big money to get it there in eight days from Canada. Due to religious holidays it took another week to get it actually delivered. It then took over a month to get it fixed, with weekly badgering. And then 43 days to ship it back.

Great to have it back and working, but wow!

I think my next amp will be a Schiit Mjolnir 3 or a used Bryston BHA-1. No more European gear.

Now, just to enjoy.

IMG_20240125_162257928~2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #40,023 of 41,463
From all that you wrote, I don't see anything to blame Violetric :)

Cheers!
Where did you read that I blamed Violectric?

Three months is a ridiculous wait time, but that is the result of buying European gear and living in Canada.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #40,024 of 41,463
My family is finally back together!
I sent my Violectric to the Mothland for servicing. It took THREE months to get it back.
I paid big money to get it there in eight days from Canada. Due to religious holidays it took another week to get it actually delivered. It then took over a month to get it fixed, with weekly badgering. And then 43 days to ship it back.

Great to have it back and working, but wow!

I think my next amp will be a Schiit Mjolnir 3 or a used Bryston BHA-1. No more European gear.

Now, just to enjoy.

IMG_20240125_162257928~2.jpg
@Shane D congrats on finally receiving your amp :) My Pro iCan died just few days ago and I need to send to to a local dealer so I fully understand how painful the situation has been for you. I do miss my iCan - IMHO with ifi house sound one of the best amps (I'm talking about original iCan, Signature is overpriced and has awful gold design add-ons, the original one looks like a British gentleman on the other side) for Focals, especially Clears.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #40,025 of 41,463
@Shane D congrats on finally receiving your amp :) My Pro iCan died just few days ago and I need to send to to a local dealer so I fully understand how painful the situation has been for you. I do miss my iCan - IMHO with ifi house sound one of the best amps (I'm talking about original iCan, Signature is overpriced and has awful gold design add-ons, the original one looks like a British gentleman on the other side) for Focals, especially Clears.
I am Really curious on how you make out as I also have the iFi Pro iCAN and it is a few years old (I bought it used).
I am thinking about cleaning house a bit and looking at just Canadian and American amps.

Asian shipments move pretty well and usually run two to three weeks or less. But their warranties are so weak. For something with no moving parts (outside the volume knob) you should be able to get a five year warranty on a $1,000.00 amp.

I was planning on making several changes to the set-up this year anyway.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #40,026 of 41,463
Where did you read that I blamed Violectric?

Three months is a ridiculous wait time, but that is the result of buying European gear and living in Canada.
Hahaha don't be mad...I am just joking :)

But it's the same for us in Europe buying expensive gear from North American soil...
I don't want to think about sending it to be repaired (coffee grinder).

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #40,027 of 41,463
Hahaha don't be mad...I am just joking :)

But it's the same for us in Europe buying expensive gear from North American soil...
I don't want to think about sending it to be repaired (coffee grinder).

Enjoy!

Cheers!
And if I was in Europe I would only be looking at European gear. I know what you guys have to go through hassle and money wise for American gear. I wouldn't do it. You have lots of great European brands.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #40,028 of 41,463
ou have lots of great European brands.
Mostly, yes...but lots of it we can't find here. One of the things is IER Z1R...at least for a decent price :)

But yes, I try to avoid hassle and stay domestic, at least for the more expensive stuff.
Still, there is a policy in Europe, which might be the newer one, that services can be up to 90 days, usually until the last day.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #40,029 of 41,463
Mostly, yes...but lots of it we can't find here. One of the things is IER Z1R...at least for a decent price :)

But yes, I try to avoid hassle and stay domestic, at least for the more expensive stuff.
Still, there is a policy in Europe, which might be the newer one, that services can be up to 90 days, usually until the last day.
When it comes to large, heavy objects that are expensive to ship, I will stay closer to home. For headphones, it really doesn't matter as it's more manageable.
For instance it cost me $203.00 (Canadian dollars) to send my amp to Germany in eight days. It was MUCH cheaper coming back ($77.00), but took Forty Three days!! That is nuts and I won't be going through that again.

I was just venting a bit, but it does get important as my gear gets older. Paying a lot for repairs and shipping and then waiting forever to receive stuff is not a future that I want for myself. :smile:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #40,030 of 41,463
Aghhh,BIG changes..New 55" Toshiba,w/aftermarket stand,allowing the new 2 can stand,the Deva Pro's on the HFM stand & the Pathos,to all sit nicely on top of the rack & freeing up the shelf below for cables..Simply can NOT believe the amazing picture on this tv & a total cost of $325.00 including stand BLOWS my mind..Sorry my pics don't do the tv picture justice..
Still hem hawing around on the Focal Clear MG purchase..With the new Silver over OCC cables on the iBasso's & Sundara's I just don't feel the need,+ I wouldn't mind putting that $ into REAL acoustic treatments & finally having a listening/viewing room instead of man cave hahahahaha.....Just sent measurements to Auralex Acoustics for recommendations on how to treat the room & cost so we shall see...
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #40,031 of 41,463
And if I was in Europe I would only be looking at European gear. I know what you guys have to go through hassle and money wise for American gear. I wouldn't do it. You have lots of great European brands.
As long as you are not in love with a pair of zmf headphones and living in Europe, specially Spain... They will rip you off at customs. Believe me 😔
But ye, now I am looking for a new amp, and won't go away from eu to get it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #40,032 of 41,463
When it comes to large, heavy objects that are expensive to ship, I will stay closer to home. For headphones, it really doesn't matter as it's more manageable.
For instance it cost me $203.00 (Canadian dollars) to send my amp to Germany in eight days. It was MUCH cheaper coming back ($77.00), but took Forty Three days!! That is nuts and I won't be going through that again.

I was just venting a bit, but it does get important as my gear gets older. Paying a lot for repairs and shipping and then waiting forever to receive stuff is not a future that I want for myself. :smile:
There are things to be said for staying on the same continent. Probably didn't help you were shipping it over the holidays either. Anytime I need to ship something during any holiday season, I always sacrifice a bunch of bubble-wrap to the Shipping Gods to try and minimize the amount of f-ery involved.:smile:

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #40,033 of 41,463
There are things to be said for staying on the same continent. Probably didn't help you were shipping it over the holidays either. Anytime I need to ship something during any holiday season, I always sacrifice a bunch of bubble-wrap to the Shipping Gods to try and minimize the amount of f-ery involved.:smile:
It got over fine, as I packed it well. And it came back in the same condition. They are even more anal than me when it comes to packing. I guess that is the German perfectionism.
It was Very expensive to get it over fast. It was Very cheap to get it back Very slow. :relaxed:

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #40,034 of 41,463

Isn't that a Sony, which is Japanese?
I don't know if Asian stuff is cheaper/easier for Europeans than North Americans?

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #40,035 of 41,463
It got over fine, as I packed it well. And it came back in the same condition. They are even more anal than me when it comes to packing. I guess that is the German perfectionism.
It was Very expensive to get it over fast. It was Very cheap to get it back Very slow. :relaxed:
Actually, i meant making a sacrificial offering of bubble-wrap - the Shipping Gods are a fickle bunch. I guess now that I had to explain the joke, it must not have been all that good.🤷‍♂️
But $200 shipping… ouch!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back