Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #36,856 of 41,133
Right now I am content with my gear and only curiosity drives me to audition new stuff, not dissatisfaction.
Love this.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #36,857 of 41,133
We all know, end-game does not exist,

yet there can be surprisingly long periods of satisfaction. I have reached a stage, where there is no itch to change or upgrade anything in my system. This is partly, because I have hit my financial ceiling. :) If finances are no consideration, there is always higher up. Currently I have maxed out my budget.
I also managed to own or audition most DACs, amplifiers and headphones in the price categories I can still afford. I know my taste, I know what the market offers and I have an idea of the actual value of the next £1000 upgrade.

Of course, there are always some new products that peak my interest and at some point I will definitely audition them (Caldera for example), but not because I am unhappy with a certain tiny aspect of sound in my system, only out of pure curiosity. For many years I was chasing upgrades due to certain unsatisfaction in my audio chain. Now I am honestly content, but still somewhat curious.
Every ear, taste, priorities and budget is different, so my case will most likely not bring you the same satisfaction, yet my experience might serve as an orientation point to others. Let me take you on a quick personal tour:

DAC:

DAC matters. For a lot of technicalities and big chunk of sound the DAC is responsible. The amp can only amplify the signal it gets from the DAC. Delta/Sigma DACs can get very clean, very technical and detailed, but all of them sound a bit flat/2D to me (RME-ADI-2). Also, the sound of most d/s DACs is quite 'digital', machine-like reproduction. Chord DACs (Qutest, TT2) are special in this regard, they offer more 3D space and a more lifelike perception. Yet even Chord DACs can't beat the natural and lifelike, soulful sound of good R2R technology. R2R DACs are special. R2R to d/s is like vinyl to digital. R2R DACs in general are more spacious with more accurate staging. D/S DACs can be quicker and more precise, but R2R will always win on natural timbre and lifelikeness. I wouldn't bother with the most 'entry level' R2R DACs as they can indeed be too warm, smeared, soft and hazy. But if you go just a little higher, clarity and technicalities start to shine through in R2R DACs too.

I personally picked the Musician Pegasus. I immediately fell in love with the real R2R treats, after the lukewarm R2R experience of Soekris 2541 (lack of bass extension, impact). I didn't feel I have to make an extreme compromise in technicalities, even after the Chord TT2. Yes, the TT2 is more technical and detailed (micro dynamics) but IMO the Pegasus's tonality and lifelikeness is a lot more enjoyable.

I also replaced the fuse in the Pegasus with the SR purple fuse, which to my ears enhanced clarity and technicalities by a surprisingly great margin. I was very sceptical and almost found the idea of upgrade fuses ridiculous, but this purple fuse does work. I tried other audiophile fuses too, but none of them brought this level of additional clarity. IMO the Pegasus with the purple fuse is around the level of £2000 R2R DACs and to me beats d/s DACs at twice that price.

Amplifier:

I had several SS and some hybrid amps (Liquid Platinum), but the first proper tube amp I actually own is the HA-3A. Regarding SS amps, just to bring some examples: CMA-600, Taurus MKII, iFi Pro iCan og and Signature, Bryston BHA-1, Burson Soloist 3XP, Chord TT2, CMA-15.
Yes, some of these have exceptional technicalities like speed, detail retrieval, bass extension and impact, yet when I compare any of these to my HA-3A I found that the Cayin TC tube amp is a lot more enjoyable. There is more space, better imaging, more lifelike and natural sound. A sweeter representation which I simply love. Feels more real versus any SS attempts.
A tube amp though brings the hassle/fun of tube rolling. I would say it is 50% hassle and 50% fun. But if you find a set of tubes that you like, that can be immensely satisfying and can lead to many joyful listening hours.

Headphones:

Being in the hobby for many years allowed me to own and audition many headphones. To give a rough line of upgrade route I loved the following headphones for extended periods: Audeze LCD-2C, LCD-X, Empyrean, Final D8000, Meze Elite. Along this rough personal line I owned and auditioned several others, covering pretty much 80% of what is available today. I like a lifelike, warm and musical planar. I was never keen on dynamic drivers, wasn't a fan of the Utopia, Clear, not even the otherwise remarkable Verité open. HiFiMans are too bright or just thin and diffuse to me (Arya, HE1000 series, Susvara). Sure, I am missing some contenders from my list like Kennerton, Caldera and Stealth but honestly I don't expect to like DCA flagships after finding the Æon series so disappointing. Caldera is intriguing though, despite I wasn't keen on the Verité, Eikon or Atticus. I could go on, but I will stop here as I think you get the point. I auditioned LCD5, Solitaire P and other flagships too. I like Solitaire P a lot. I like LCD4 too, but can't bear it's 700g+ weight. Soli P is very special, LCD5 is a bit cold and mechanical, I couldn't connect.

I can't close this headphone section without mentioning comfort. Comfort is huge. No matter how spectacular some headphones sound, if you can't have them on your head longer than 30 mins, they are useless. TOTL headphones to me differ maybe 10%-20% in sonic treats or technicalities (Elite, Abyss, ZMF, HiFiMan etc.). They all have their unique sound which one likes or dislikes, but objectively they are all pretty awesome. In comfort IMO the differences are bigger. If someone listens to headphones more than 2 hours a day, comfort becomes a huge factor. I would personally trade in 10% of sonic technicalities for 30% comfort increase any day.

Some folks in the D8000 thread really jumped at my throat when I put my D8000 up for sale after 6 months of ownership. I loved the Final, but found the Elite superior: more natural, more lifelike, more spacious; better for my needs. I was accused to swap my gear too frequently. I bought my Elite 14 months ago and still these are my current 'endgame'. I think the Elite smashes the D9200 which was a side-purchase in the meantime and I still prefer the tonality to the technically clearly superior and objectively wonderful Solitaire P (my second all time favourite to date).

Tweaks:

I can't let this post go without mentioning small tweaks like cables. I have already touched on the upgrade fuse in my DAC. Honestly, I never thought I will say an upgrade fuse can matter, but it really does.
After finding your ideal DAC and amp, choosing better cables can be beneficial too. Yes, my power cables indeed brought a little more clarity to the picture. Same with my pure silver interconnects and upgrade headphone cable. I don't want to initiate a cable debate, but cables matter to those who can hear the difference. Once you are generally happy with the performance of your system, cables should be the final tweak. Most of all they can improve clarity, regardless measurements or those YouTube gurus who try to prove or disprove cable effects.

Why this sharing?

I guess, I have just reached a happy stationary point in my long journey and wanted to share, this is possible for you too. :) Right now I am content with my gear and only curiosity drives me to audition new stuff, not dissatisfaction. Hence I became a bit lazy, but this is a good laziness, full of listening joy.

Unless something really bothers you in your system, give some time to yourself and enjoy the sonic qualities you have already achieved!

PXL_20230216_110202541.jpg
Excellent post that catalogues your search for gear that pleases your ears.

It truly is the journey, not the destination, that matters.

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #36,858 of 41,133
Been a while since posting on here, but why not. I finally got my setup to a point where I'm really quite pleased with it.
Still waiting on a headphone stand and a desk lamp of some kind, but this is going to be "end game" for a while for me.
Daily driver headphone is a Beyerdynamic DT-700 Pro X, along with a Sennheiser/Drop HD6XX. DAC/AMP is an SMSL M500 MkIII that when it doesn't power my headphones is the source for an Acurus L10/A100 set, that in turn powers my KEF RDM Two speakers and Definitive Technology SuperCube II subwoofer. Only thing that isn't vintage and old enough to vote are the headphones and DAC!

Cable management for all this was a *bear*, but I think it was worth it.

Attachments

• 20230310_142529.JPG
    20230310_142529.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230304_172947.JPG
    20230304_172947.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #36,864 of 41,133
ZMF Auteur (LTD Stabilised Takwin) as the featured soloist this evening ….
262E41BA-CE7D-427C-B878-F4B45EA1445F.jpeg

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #36,865 of 41,133
ZMF Auteur (LTD Stabilised Takwin) as the featured soloist this evening …. 262E41BA-CE7D-427C-B878-F4B45EA1445F.jpeg

I really like the look of that Auteur (original, right?). I see so many great looking ZMFs and I just do a 'Like', but this one really stands out. What kind of stabilized version / type of wood is it?

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #36,866 of 41,133
I really like the look of that Auteur (original, right?). I see so many great looking ZMFs and I just do a 'Like', but this one really stands out. What kind of stabilized version / type of wood is it?
Stabilised Takwin.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #36,867 of 41,133
Been a minute since I’ve been around so here’s my bedside setup as of an hour ago:

73D8A1EC-5D5F-4FC2-8A89-93EBA8068701.jpeg

ZMF Atrium and Audeze LCD-X hanging on the Salire. FiiO M11S DAP with some Thieaudio Monarch OGs, a set of 7Hz Timeless, and some ultra cheap RY4S earbuds. Amp is a Burson Conductor 3XP.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #36,868 of 41,133
ZMF Auteur (LTD Stabilised Takwin) as the featured soloist this evening …. 262E41BA-CE7D-427C-B878-F4B45EA1445F.jpeg
You change your setup more than I change my underwear. Not saying that's a good thing or bad thing, mostly. 🤣

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #36,869 of 41,133
Mar 19, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #36,870 of 41,133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back