Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 28, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #26,552 of 41,191
Sony_TA_DUNU_Studio_SA6.jpg

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #26,553 of 41,191
Isn't that how most people listen to music?
Yep. Almost everybody “hears” music, but only a few of us actively “listen” to music. I’m the only one in my large extended family.

Sep 28, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #26,554 of 41,191
Got to playing around a bit with the iPhone 11 Pro Max wide angle.. never have been able to get in a single wide shot what is really the 'control' area for the entire home A/V. And the television for the extra bedroom we are looking at :) It's really "old school" but still a helluva picture at the proper viewing angle, even if it only has 768p vertical resolution. It is from the heydays of Panasonic's plasma production, I think right before or around the time Pioneer quit making the glass for their Kuro panels and started sourcing Panasonic made panels for them.

The likewise "old school" home theater with JVC D-ILA 1080p RS46 shining on a 2.35:1 103" DaLite Cinema Contour screen and Martin Logan active Purity speakers as the mains is on other side of wall; currently active as source in the theater is an old Dune streamer hard wired back to control and managed by Zappiti.

But the rest of the house including the bonus room two floors up with 65 inch 4k HDR Samsung, all have either Rokus or Apple TV. So control center down here is a PLEX server with the Dune/Zappiti on the way out as soon as I get a capable 4k HDR projector.

So overall I am still waiting on what I want to do with the theater. It was state-of-the-art circa 2012. So its ancient lol. Lots of upgrades to do if I can kick some of the head-fi habit! Haha.

Therefore of course most all the time spent here at the desk is with headphones. Rarely a moment they aren't on while I'm browsing headfi or really anything

IMG_0016.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #26,555 of 41,191
Guess I put my foot in my mouth this time. Needless to point out that, except for Macbeth, I’ve never read Shakespeare. Nice quote Pharmaboy.

Maybe I misread it but I thought he said discretion is the better part of velour- as in go leather :D

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #26,557 of 41,191
DEB639F6-FBD1-4BDA-86F8-B2538392739E.jpeg

My audio exploration station. Fresh today, just for you. With a couple of easter eggs.

The position of that volume control on your V280 with the 800s is more than scary given you have the RME in line-out mode as it should be :D

I'm at -12 dB on my presets and I don't think I have a pair of headphones I can't set on fire with the volume at 2:00 in the afternoon!

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #26,558 of 41,191
Yep. Almost everybody “hears” music, but only a few of us actively “listen” to music. I’m the only one in my large extended family.

Same here, even my mom thought I got autism when I did that (when I was a kid). I almost thought what I did also a weird thing, but still, I keep did it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #26,559 of 41,191
The position of that volume control on your V280 with the 800s is more than scary given you have the RME in line-out mode as it should be :D

I'm at -12 dB on my presets and I don't think I have a pair of headphones I can't set on fire with the volume at 2:00 in the afternoon!

Well spotted. The volume is from last nights listening session which was a Kraftwerk live bootleg via my NOS dac. It puts out a puny 2V on RCA and needs the help, though I may have been enjoying it too much near the end. On the RME I’ll be less than 11 o’clock and very happy. :)

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #26,561 of 41,191
Same here, even my mom thought I got autism when I did that (when I was a kid). I almost thought what I did also a weird thing, but still, I keep did it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Interesting comment.

Many years after childhood I realized I'd had synesthesia as a child, say from age 4 or 5 up to early teens. It only happened when I listened to classical music with my eyes closed. Then I would "see" striking visual simulations based on the music--constantly changing, colorful, geometric/architectural figures. Bach's fugues caused the most extravagant visual simulations (all that counterpoint & harmonic variation).

I thought nothing of it, never bothered mentioning it to anyone. I listened very passionately to music as a child & just assumed everyone experienced the same things as I did.

It still happens a bit now, though way lower in amplitude/noticeability.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #26,562 of 41,191
Interesting comment.

Many years after childhood I realized I'd had synesthesia as a child, say from age 4 or 5 up to early teens. It only happened when I listened to classical music with my eyes closed. Then I would "see" striking visual simulations based on the music--constantly changing, colorful, geometric/architectural figures. Bach's fugues caused the most extravagant visual simulations (all that counterpoint & harmonic variation).

I thought nothing of it, never bothered mentioning it to anyone. I listened very passionately to music as a child & just assumed everyone experienced the same things as I did.

The same with me. I just thought everybody saw visuals when listening to music. Then I learned about synesthesia. I don’t see colors, but I see amazing shapes, waves, “fireworks,” etc.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #26,563 of 41,191
Interesting comment.

Value added to the experience!!!

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #26,564 of 41,191
IMG_20200930_151616.jpg

Small gun vs Biggg gun

The THX 789 's 3.5mm output is really great for portable earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back