Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #24,556 of 41,202
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #24,558 of 41,202
Nice :) and welcome!

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #24,559 of 41,202
<$4K.....maybe stretch to 5....
I'm considering the Spendor A7....??

You'd need to get stands for this: based on my extremely good results w/a pair of ATC studio monitors in my desktop rig (SCM12 Pro), I'd recommend their larger volume 2-way, SCM 19. No sub required here; bass power & impact is very high for a 2-way. This tweeter is just about the best I've ever heard in all these years...

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/entry-series/scm19/

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #24,560 of 41,202
Here is my setup in it's current state. Recently added items are below.

Metrum onyx -> Hugo TT2
Auralic Aries G1
Transparent powerbank -> transparent power wave
Solidsteel audio rack

I know that some folks might take offense but, I was auditioning an mscaler with the TT2. I used to own one with a hugo 2 and thought that it made a bigger difference with the hugo 2 than it does with the TT2. I actually found the addition of the Auralic to make a bigger sonic improvement than the Mscaler. I am finding this improvement to be more apparent on my speakers than with my Abyss. The improvement is there but it just shows more on the Magicos.

That is a beautiful PRS axe!

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #24,561 of 41,202
<$4K.....maybe stretch to 5....
I'm considering the Spendor A7....??

You could get some used Dynaudios in that price range (creditingkarma had a nice set prior to the Magicos), if you wanted active you could check out some of Focal or Adams studio monitors too.

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #24,563 of 41,202
Check out some of the Tekton speakers. They are being touted as giant killers in most every review.
When I’m ready to go 2 channel, the Tekton Double Impacts are the front runner for now.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #24,565 of 41,202
I have my sights set on the DIs myself. They are some big speakers though, not very high on the W.A.F.
Don’t worry, the DIs will accept your wife if she’s nice...

Let her pick the finish and call it even.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #24,566 of 41,202
I have the Brilliance and even they are large. The sound is very good.
customer8-orig_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #24,567 of 41,202
Yup, it’s the good old approach of „let’s use loads of tweeters and make a line source“...

Infinity used to be good at this (back in the 80s).

Now I wonder how a pair of RS1b would sound on the back of a modern digital (Class D) amplifier. These days, power is cheap. In those days, they were considered virtually undriveable!

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #24,569 of 41,202
Yup, it’s the good old approach of „let’s use loads of tweeters and make a line source“...

Infinity used to be good at this (back in the 80s).

Now I wonder how a pair of RS1b would sound on the back of a modern digital (Class D) amplifier. These days, power is cheap. In those days, they were considered virtually undriveable!

From what I know of the RS1b, they came with an external crossover, allowing use of a big SS amp on the bass towers & tubes on the mids/treble ribbons. In that scenario, any good class D amp would certainly be smaller & throw off less heat (pretty easy to get 500 WPC w/class D amps). But there were some behemoth A/B SS amps back in the day, especially big mono's (1 per bass tower).

I heard the IRS very briefly one time, but never the RS1b/RS2b's. My speculation is that if any part of that system would sound "out of date" (ie, less than high-level audiophile range du jour) it would be those ribbon mids/trebles, and possibly the external crossover. The latter is something often modded/upgraded by latter day owners, to very good effect.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #24,570 of 41,202
You could get some used Dynaudios in that price range (creditingkarma had a nice set prior to the Magicos), if you wanted active you could check out some of Focal or Adams studio monitors too.

I really enjoyed the Dynaudio C1 that I had. If @nordkapp is interested the dealer that I got the magico from has the C1 and is selling them for around $4,400. Which is a great price for an incredible speaker. I am not sure where @nordkapp is located though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back