Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #1,921 of 41,461

Quote:
I wouldn't call Lyr + LCD-2 a 'humble setup'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Compared to some of the stuff around here, it's quite pedestrian!

Quote:
I'm suprised though that the Marantz is able to act as a DAC for the iPod though. I think most USB DAC's can't do that.

It's really a versatile unit!
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SA8004

And it sounds incredible vs iPod line out to the Lyr. Direct digital connection to the iPod, and being a great SACD/CD player is exactly why I bought it. I supports optical as well, though I haven't tried it yet, my laptop is pretty firmly anchored in the living room, though I want to try out some 24bit files on it, which the iPod wont handle, so I need to try that out soon.

They tell me that most of the SACD/CD player components are the same as, or as good as the players from the reference series.
I listened to the reference series in the showroom, they sounded great obviously, but IMO, nothing to warrant the cost, and the lack of iPod direct digital connection.
Perhaps they are better, but not enough for my money, and I forgo a separate DAC, really a great solution for me.

Quote:
I wonder how the Lyr compares to the headphone output of the Marantz

It drives the D7000s and the 900s flawlessly. It also does well with the LCD2s, but I like the Lyr better with them.
Though by default I just plug everything into the Lyr as everything I have sounds great coming out of it.

Cheers!

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #1,922 of 41,461
You guys don't get a pic of my main setup until I buy my new PC case and my new keyboard. But for the meantime you can see my bed/ portable rig.
Here is my new portable setup. Everything in the pic is less than a month old except for the RE-262.
This is a CF WhipMOD > Whiplash Audio Reference LOD > Ray Samuels SR-71B > Balanced HE-300 (HE-6 cable re-terminated with SR-71B connector)
This was the setup a week ago when I was vacationing in Cancun.

And this is it now:frowning2:

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,924 of 41,461
The Marantz SA8004 will probably be my next (first) cd player then!

Go for it man. I currently want not.
It will drive most cans fine, and be as good of a DAC as most in it's price range.
If you look at it like that, you are getting an SACD/CD player free while solving most of your component chain.
Have a.look in the source forum for the Maramtz SA8004 thread,
you'll be glad when you buy it

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #1,925 of 41,461
So is it good even as a standalone DAC let alone a redbook player (I own no SACDs yet)? I'll probably connect a 160gb iPod Classic 7th or the new 8th gen if announced to it with ALAC and play redbook CDs. I have Senn HD650s BTW

Quote:
Go for it man. I currently want not.
It will drive most cans fine, and be a better DAC than most in it's price range.
If you look at it like that, you are getting an SACD/CD player free while solving most of your component chain.
Have a.look in the source forum for the Maramtz SA8004 thread,
you'll be glad when you buy it

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,926 of 41,461
If you don't have any SACD's, I think the SA8004 is overkill.

If you do have a collection of SACD's, then another (more future-proof) option is the Oppo BDP-95.

It can play SACD's just like the Marantz, but will also play BluRay music discs and FLAC files. And it has HDMI 1.4.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,927 of 41,461

Quote:
If you don't have any SACD's, I think the SA8004 is overkill.

If you do have a collection of SACD's, then another (more future-proof) option is the Oppo BDP-95.

It can play SACD's just like the Marantz, but will also play BluRay music discs and FLAC files. And it has HDMI 1.4.

Overkill leaves not a shadow of a doubt :).
Most of what we do in this hobby is overkill by nature :).
That being said, I would still opt for the Marantz UD5005 over the Oppo personally for a universal deck with HDMI and so forth, maybe I'm a fanboy...

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,928 of 41,461
Got my SCHIIT Lyr yesterday, so here is my test rigs for today:
- RME HDSP 9632 (CANARE RCA-RCA coaxial cable) -> Audio-GD NFB-10ES [Non-USB, Upgrade 80M TCXO] (moon-audio Black Dragon power cable) -> HiFiMAN HE-6 (moon-audio Silver Dragon [Neutrik 4pin XLR])
- RME HDSP 9632 (CANARE RCA-RCA coaxial cable) -> Audio-GD NFB-10ES [Non-USB, Upgrade 80M TCXO] (moon-audio Black Dragon power cable) -> SCHIIT Lyr [JJ E88CC Tubes] (Audio-GD Interconnect RCA-RCA cables) -> HiFiMAN HE-500 (moon-audio Silver Dragon [Furutech 6.3" Plug])

Tomorrow Lyr is going to my work rig, because HE-6 sound better on balance from NFB-10ES then from Lyr... but thats OK, because I was planning to buy Lyr for my work rig, but also wanted to check if it could beat NFB-10ES balanced amp... well HE-6 is certainly sound good with Lyr, but when I plug it to 4pin XLR on 10ES the choice which is better is obvious
Anyway HE-500 is fantastic with Lyr (and HE-4 too, have a chance to listen it a little yesterday) so no regrets at all, Lyr certainly a great amp for orthodynamic headphones... but HE-6 needs more to make them sound their best

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,929 of 41,461
Ah yes, and the oppo doesn't support idevices, much less direct digital, that was a key factor as my collection is all ALAC for iPod use.
it serves as an easy and familiar remote for the unit, and obviously contains my lossless files.

For me it's been ideal.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,930 of 41,461
Good point, I'm not an "i" guy.

I do really like the current Marantz line. They were in the toilet for a while but have really come around in the last few years. Really strong stuff that pays homage to their glory days.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,931 of 41,461
Just got my new desk set up and everything situated. Really login' actually having a desk and my MX518 (master race) mouse.

No DAC or Amps atm, just running the HD 598 and Pro 750 out of the headphone jack for the Logitech speakers. It actually gets pretty loud.

Logitech 2.1 speakers (soon to be replaced with Audiengine A5s), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Logitech MX 518 Mouse, 27" iMac (w/ Win. 7 64 Bootcamped for games), Magic Trackpad, HP Touchpad, HP Photosmart printer.

CD on the desk is 'These Hopeful Machines' by BT

EDIT: New chair on the right, crap my computer WAS sitting on to the left. Cables have since been brought under control (I hate unorganized cables)

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,932 of 41,461
not much has changed since last time i posted here. just decided to add another studio gem to my collection.

DSC01131.jpg

it's one on the right. the original 1976 pioneer monitor 10's. amazing headphone. also i decided to rip apart some old guitar stand i had so i can start hanging my headphones up during the night after use. sorry about bad pic. i am not very good at picture taking and was using some sony digital cam as well.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,933 of 41,461
^ lucky dog.  I want each of these to hop in my box of vintages.

Quote:
[snip] also i decided to rip apart some old guitar stand i had so i can start hanging my headphones up [/snip]

excellent idea! are others doing this as well?

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,934 of 41,461

Quote:
Hmm, picture is kinda crummy, it's from my cellphone. Maybe I'll take a nicer shot with my SLR later on.

I said I would, so here is one. It's cross posted from the Headphone Pics thread, but it still shows the setup, and it's much prettier.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,935 of 41,461
Beautiful pic, and I am so jealous of that Marantz. Maybe once I get out of college I can reward myself with one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back