Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #19,276 of 41,202
Where does the "U" go in your Head-Fi SetUp?

More clearly, where and on what do you sit/sprawl/lie? Several of the stations are at a desk, which to me implies that you listen while sitting on a desk chair at the desk. Often there is a computer at the desk. Does that mean that you work (or play) at the computer while listening? Do you sit with the attentive posture associated with keyboard typing?

Or do you sit on a big armchair, perhaps that reclines and has a footrest?

I sit on this folding chair, which I can put away in the corner of the room when not in use: 

While listening to this - no browsing, no nothing, just listening (I think everyone who had a speaker system that didn't use the PC as a source does that):

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #19,278 of 41,202
Great Post. Here's mine: Herman Miller (the empty chair, not the IKEA chair that my annoying cat is sleeping in)

Best chair on the planet! It's the Stax of work chairs :D

Love my Aeron chair!!

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #19,279 of 41,202
Ahh...Herman Miller!! Had one of these at my first job. Never gonna forget them. Freaking expensive though. Good choice!

I have troubles of just relaxing and listening to music. Mostly I sit on my desk where my speakers and HP setups are. I have a couch directly behind my chair which I can use but I never do :)
Usually I listen to music when doing something else on the PC: work, browsing or gaming. I think I need to change that habit

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #19,280 of 41,202

Fantasmic, one of my favourite NW songs! Good choice :)

It just sounds grand and epic, especially on the right system. Like when I tried the album on B&W 800-series speakers 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #19,281 of 41,202
  Ahh...Herman Miller!! Had one of these at my first job. Never gonna forget them. Freaking expensive though. Good choice!

I have troubles of just relaxing and listening to music. Mostly I sit on my desk where my speakers and HP setups are. I have a couch directly behind my chair which I can use but I never do :)
Usually I listen to music when doing something else on the PC: work, browsing or gaming. I think I need to change that habit

Yes, expensive. But I bought mine in 1996 and it works/feels like a brand-new chair. Worth every penny.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #19,282 of 41,202
Well, if that is the case then it's not expensive at all...that's almost 20 years :)
Having received my first back problems 2 weeks ago (had two nice injections) I have to agree with you!

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #19,285 of 41,202
The Aeron is a great chair. It was a hard decision between that or the Steelcase Leap V2, but I managed to snag a used Leap 2 off of CL for about $250, so that was that.

@whitemouse : Good stuff. That's an Ibasso player, right? How does that drive the LCD?

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #19,286 of 41,202
The Aeron is a great chair. It was a hard decision between that or the Steelcase Leap V2, but I managed to snag a used Leap 2 off of CL for about $250, so that was that.

@whitemouse
 : Good stuff. That's an Ibasso player, right? How does that drive the LCD?

Yes, DX50.

It drives LCD-2 suprisingly well, volume is about 3/4 of the way, visually, most of the time. Gain set to High of course.
DX50 at max volume with LCD-2 is too loud, but there is NO distortion coming from Audezes whatsoever, sound just becomes louder and louder, and at some point too loud for comfort..

that is sharp contrast compared to Grado PS-500, the Grados don't like being overdriven at all, sound becomes very distorted and very quickly.
The PS-500 sound really nice hooked to Sony ZX1, my friend here has the Sony. But ZX1 is hopeless with LCD-2, not nearly enough gain.

I always thought it's the DAPs, that cause the distortion after certain level of amplification, amp clipping or something... But no, DX50 certainly does not start distorting when driven past comfortable listening level, neither does Fiio E18.

I prefer Fiio E18 over ibasso DX50 by far! It is just the mess of USB connection and phone connected, you can have all that fit in jeans or shorts pocket, if jeans baggy enough, but I always adjust volume, and change tracks, the phone and dac in same pocket quickly becomes tiresome. Maybe a small bag on a belt would help.

But DX50 solves all this, you give up some of the Fiio transparency and very clean overall sound, but I love ibasso industrial design, the look, and the 3 buttons, play/pause, back and forward, all thats needed.
For comparison, ipod 5 classic needs to be on max volume, then you can use it with LCD-2, and not bad at all. But some recordings are lower in level, then there's nothing you can do.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #19,288 of 41,202
Yes, DX50.

It drives LCD-2 suprisingly well, volume is about 3/4 of the way, visually, most of the time. Gain set to High of course.
DX50 at max volume with LCD-2 is too loud, but there is NO distortion coming from Audezes whatsoever, sound just becomes louder and louder, and at some point too loud for comfort..

that is sharp contrast compared to Grado PS-500, the Grados don't like being overdriven at all, sound becomes very distorted and very quickly.
The PS-500 sound really nice hooked to Sony ZX1, my friend here has the Sony. But ZX1 is hopeless with LCD-2, not nearly enough gain.

I always thought it's the DAPs, that cause the distortion after certain level of amplification, amp clipping or something... But no, DX50 certainly does not start distorting when driven past comfortable listening level, neither does Fiio E18.

I prefer Fiio E18 over ibasso DX50 by far! It is just the mess of USB connection and phone connected, you can have all that fit in jeans or shorts pocket, if jeans baggy enough, but I always adjust volume, and change tracks, the phone and dac in same pocket quickly becomes tiresome. Maybe a small bag on a belt would help.

But DX50 solves all this, you give up some of the Fiio transparency and very clean overall sound, but I love ibasso industrial design, the look, and the 3 buttons, play/pause, back and forward, all thats needed.
For comparison, ipod 5 classic needs to be on max volume, then you can use it with LCD-2, and not bad at all. But some recordings are lower in level, then there's nothing you can do.

Cool stuff. I think sometimes a lot of people forget how important usability actually is for portable gear. I quite enjoy only having to use a DAP/Phone with a decent pair of IEMs as opposed to a DAP+amp+over head cans.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #19,289 of 41,202
Where does the "U" go in your Head-Fi SetUp?

More clearly, where and on what do you sit/sprawl/lie? Several of the stations are at a desk, which to me implies that you listen while sitting on a desk chair at the desk. Often there is a computer at the desk. Does that mean that you work (or play) at the computer while listening? Do you sit with the attentive posture associated with keyboard typing?

Or do you sit on a big armchair, perhaps that reclines and has a footrest?

I have recently changed from listening at my computer desk to listening in an easy chair. I still have a listening station at each place. It is amazing how much better the system at the lounge chair is to listen to than the desk system.

How about you?

Personally, I never understood the attraction to a desk and an office chair. Sure, it's the only option that one may have at work, but doing it at home? Why? I sit on a very comfy couch, sometimes lie down to listen.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #19,290 of 41,202
Cool stuff. I think sometimes a lot of people forget how important usability actually is for portable gear. I quite enjoy only having to use a DAP/Phone with a decent pair of IEMs as opposed to a DAP+amp+over head cans.

Exactly!
When I bought the Fiio E18 dac/amp one year ago, the idea of Android phone connected to E18 seemed such a great idea, I even had the HTC Ond phone at the time, the Fiio website pages used E18 together with HTC.. looks very nice..
Until you start using them together lol.
Within a week, the HTC looked like it survived a war, scratched badly. Next thing, the short OTG usb cables constantly in pocket, rubbed enough of the HTC phone usb output socket, at slightest movement, the Fiio disconnected, no sound.. You then drag all of it out of the pocket.. It always takes several tries to get Fiio and phone to sync, uhhh... And then after 30 seconds you repeat all that lol, cos phone's usb out has been warn out, and the cable plug is loose, dac disconneects. Repeat!
Then you give up.. The Fiio and HTC One looked really nice on pics, but if you use hours and hours every day, it just isn't made for that. Or, if you had it all in a little belt baggy, probably would have been very different. Sound is great, no question.
Usability becomes very important, when using music rig for hours, walking around, sitting in coffee shops.
All in one player was a relief!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back