Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 8, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #18,841 of 41,115
Of course it's magical.  Just not the tics and pops.  You train yourself to unhear them at a certain level.

After 20 years plus collecting and playing vinyl, I found better turntables go deeper into the vinyl groove and playback less pops and scratches. Who knew?

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #18,842 of 41,115

Of course it's magical.  Just not the tics and pops.  You train yourself to unhear them at a certain level.

After 20 years plus collecting and playing vinyl, I found better turntables go deeper into the vinyl groove and playback less pops and scratches. Who knew?

Absolutely.  Same here.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #18,843 of 41,115
Absolutely.  Same here.

Lighten up, y'all ... I grew up on vinyl and that's where I listented to Rush, along with everything else.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #18,844 of 41,115

Absolutely.  Same here.

Lighten up, y'all ... I grew up on vinyl and that's where I listented to Rush, along with everything else.

And yet, I don't see a TT in your profile.  What am I missing?  

You know, it can still be good.
smile.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #18,845 of 41,115

And yet, I don't see a TT in your profile.  What am I missing?  

You know, it can still be good.
smile.gif

Yeah... my local dealer keeps trying to pull me back in 
blink.gif
  I have boxes of carefully stored vinyl from my youth, including many Japanese "virgin vinyl" pressings from the '80s that were rarely played (most of them played only to record to tape).  It would be fun to go back.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #18,846 of 41,115

Yeah... my local dealer keeps trying to pull me back in 
blink.gif
  I have boxes of carefully stored vinyl from my youth, including many Japanese "virgin vinyl" pressings from the '80s that were rarely played (most of them played only to record to tape).  It would be fun to go back.

I have a some what empty table... that I've been wondering what to do with. At the Moment I use it to take my pictures, but I'm very tempted to set up a Vinyl Rig and run analog to a balanced Tube Amp... and just get super OMG harmonic mid heaven, oh and I could use a nice ADC as well for high quality digital rips 

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #18,848 of 41,115
Thinking bout picking up some cheap grados just for vinyl playback when I can't blare my speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

I would recommend you look into getting a Senn Grado, hit up JoeDoe or 7Keys. I've got a demo unit with me, and one being built for me, I think a bare bones build of one would be like $160 ish and for the money it sounds like super duper awesome sauce, even better it sounds even MORE awesome on my HM 801 [which has a SERIOUSLY "vintage analog" sound sig]

Though I'd love to actually demo a SR 80i 

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #18,850 of 41,115
  I would recommend you look into getting a Senn Grado, hit up JoeDoe or 7Keys. I've got a demo unit with me, and one being built for me, I think a bare bones build of one would be like $160 ish and for the money it sounds like super duper awesome sauce, even better it sounds even MORE awesome on my HM 801 [which has a SERIOUSLY "vintage analog" sound sig]

Though I'd love to actually demo a SR 80i 

Any threads specific to Senn/Grado?
Im very intrigued as I love both so combining the two can only be a good thang!!! :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #18,851 of 41,115
Oct 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #18,852 of 41,115

I've been putting off posting for the longest time, wanting to wait until I have a system that I feel is complete, but let's be honest in that will never happen. :veryevil: There is always something out there to pique your interest. Though I can confidently say that I don't see the Ultrasones going any time soon. The receiver is being used as a phono-stage since the sale of my Graham Slee, and also as a head-amp for the times I am between amplifiers.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #18,853 of 41,115

I've been putting off posting for the longest time, wanting to wait until I have a system that I feel is complete, but let's be honest in that will never happen.
very_evil_smiley.gif
There is always something out there to pique your interest. Though I can confidently say that I don't see the Ultrasones going any time soon. The receiver is being used as a phono-stage since the sale of my Graham Slee, and also as a head-amp for the times I am between amplifiers.

Wow, do those Edition 12's sound as good as they look? 

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #18,854 of 41,115
Wow, do those Edition 12's sound as good as they look? 

I think so, yes. :D Ultrasone describes them perfectly on their website, the treble is slightly silky. And they carry the Ultrasone sound I came to love with the PRO2900s, minus the horribly metallic/painful treble.

Picky with amps though, being that most of the high end amplifiers these days are specilized in planars it's difficult to find an amp with LOW enough power for these. I'm constantly finding myself running the volume near the bottom of the pot where channel imbalance sets in. If only more manufacturers used digital volume control.. then again that would probably make it impossible to use analog sources.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #18,855 of 41,115
I think so, yes.
biggrin.gif
Ultrasone describes them perfectly on their website, the treble is slightly silky. And they carry the Ultrasone sound I came to love with the PRO2900s, minus the horribly metallic/painful treble.

Good stuff, the treble always deterred me away from the lower end Ultrasone's, but hopefully I get a chance to try out their higher end stuff one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back