Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Feb 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #272 of 500
Hey Jude,
(no pun intended there), are you experiencing a dropped signal like a lot of other people here?  I could see it with Bluetooth, but this should be different.   I use my Jaybird Sportsband headphones when I run and I get a lot of dropped signals with the ipod adapter....but I kind of expect that.  Bluetooth capability is only so good at this point.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #273 of 500

Quote:
Hey Jude,
(no pun intended there), are you experiencing a dropped signal like a lot of other people here?  I could see it with Bluetooth, but this should be different.   I use my Jaybird Sportsband headphones when I run and I get a lot of dropped signals with the ipod adapter....but I kind of expect that.  Bluetooth capability is only so good at this point.

I am not experiencing a dropped signal (unless I go out of range), nor am I experiencing hum/whine.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #274 of 500
I remember at IFA one of the Sennheiser technicians i'm sure was saying how the batteries in the RS220 needs to be of the highest quality 800mAh.

The batteries included with the RS220 are 930 mAh, which theoretically means they hold more power than batteries rated 800 mAh. That makes me wonder, (1) was the technician implying users should change out the stock batteries for aftermarket 800 mAh batteries, and, if so, (2) why would 800 mAh batteries be better than 930 mAh batteries for use in the RS220?

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #275 of 500
Still no hum/whine, no dropouts, charge light takes forever to go out (but does eventually), and limited but acceptable range.  Sound is very good as reported before with movies, music, TV.  For me it works.  Pricey but worth it.  I might add I've never owned wireless headphones before these, and listen to Stax with dedicated tube headphone amp in my main rig, so it isn't really a fair comparison.  For my purposes in my bedroom system it is just right.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #277 of 500
still think its really weird that a lot of posters are having problems and just a few aren't...

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #278 of 500
^^Yep.  There has to be something to this.  It sure seems like some sort of channel interference with a router.  I can't remember seeing if anyone has tried this, but maybe shutting down their router completely and using their 220 for about an hour or 2 to see if they are still getting drops.  If the drops are still happening then it has to be something with the unit sending the signal.  So strange. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #279 of 500

Quote:
The batteries included with the RS220 are 930 mAh, which theoretically means they hold more power than batteries rated 800 mAh. That makes me wonder, (1) was the technician implying users should change out the stock batteries for aftermarket 800 mAh batteries, and, if so, (2) why would 800 mAh batteries be better than 930 mAh batteries for use in the RS220?

The batteries that came with my 220's are 800mAh GP's, so pretty much GP's standard Recyko without the fancy stickers. I think the technician must've meant that you should use at least 800mAh quality batteries, because on cheaper batteries the voltage tends to dip when the charge is depleted, and that might result in the phones not getting enough power to work. I've been using several GP Recyko 850mAh and 800mAh and Sanyo Eneloop 800mAh batteries without problems, those are apparently some of the best ones available when it comes to longevity and keeping the charge and a steady voltage throughout the charge.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #280 of 500
still think its really weird that a lot of posters are having problems and just a few aren't...

Yes, and it's also frustrating we haven't heard anything from Sennheiser regarding the issue. I'd like to know if they're planning a recall, or if they just expect consumers to take a gamble with their purchases.

I can't remember seeing if anyone has tried this, but maybe shutting down their router completely and using their 220 for about an hour or 2 to see if they are still getting drops.

I did suggest that a few weeks ago, but I don't recall reading where anybody has tried it, although it's possible I missed it.

The batteries that came with my 220's are 800mAh GP's, so pretty much GP's standard Recyko without the fancy stickers. I think the technician must've meant that you should use at least 800mAh quality batteries, because on cheaper batteries the voltage tends to dip when the charge is depleted, and that might result in the phones not getting enough power to work.

I wonder why the manual specifies 930 mAh, if they're only including 800 mAh?

Also, I just noticed my Energizer rechargeables are only 700 mAh. Does the mAh level affect what charger can be used on which batteries, or only the amount of time it takes to charge them? My charger is also Energizer, which was marketed to go with their batteries. It would be nice if I could use it on higher mAh batteries, as well.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #281 of 500
For people with hume/whine/dropouts, have you checked out your 'wifi neighbourhood' to see how crowded it is? If you have an Android device, it's very simple to do so with this app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Don't think there's anything like it available for iUsers any more unfortunately, unless your device is jailbreaked. Yay, Apple...

Oh, by the way... if you have issues with your RS 220 at home, have you tried them at any other location?

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #282 of 500

Quote:
For people with hume/whine/dropouts, have you checked out your 'wifi neighbourhood' to see how crowded it is? If you have an Android device, it's very simple to do so with this app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Don't think there's anything like it available for iUsers any more unfortunately, unless your device is jailbreaked. Yay, Apple...

Oh, by the way... if you have issues with your RS 220 at home, have you tried them at any other location?

I had the same issues in different locations in the house, at least some of which do not have crowded wifi.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to try in a different location other than home -- that's a good idea, and would have been informative.  The headphones have been returned, so I can't try it now.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #283 of 500

Quote:
^^Yep.  There has to be something to this.  It sure seems like some sort of channel interference with a router.  I can't remember seeing if anyone has tried this, but maybe shutting down their router completely and using their 220 for about an hour or 2 to see if they are still getting drops.  If the drops are still happening then it has to be something with the unit sending the signal.  So strange. 

I do remember reading a post on here of someone that disconnected their wifi in an apartment building, but they said that there were two other wireless routers within the vicinity (i.e. different apartments) so I don't know if that played a role, but he was still getting micro drops. Like many have said here, for the price this should not be happening, I mean a wireless $600 headphone should be pretty close to perfect I think haha.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #284 of 500
I do remember reading a post on here of someone that disconnected their wifi in an apartment building, but they said that there were two other wireless routers within the vicinity (i.e. different apartments) so I don't know if that played a role, but he was still getting micro drops.

I checked the number of wireless networks in my area. It can vary depending on the strength of the signals at different times, but at one point it was as many as six (including mine), and never went below four. So, even if I were to unplug my router - which obviously isn't a practical long-term solution - there will still be plenty of other routers in the area. And that doesn't include other potential sources of interference. I get the feeling I might have a problem with dropouts.

I agree with you: Sennheiser needs to design these things with an eye to their practical use in real environments. While they may be awesome when functioning perfectly, if the reports here are anything to go by, they do seem pretty susceptible to problems in crowded wireless "neighborhoods." What a drag. I get encouraged when I read reports like those from Jude or Head Dragon, but among those reporting here (and I don't see any reports of production models anywhere else), it seems more people are having problems than not.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #285 of 500
If I had to choose just one, it would definately be the RS220, just due to the sound quality. I actually haven't listened to my 180's for more than maybe 5 minutes since getting the 220's two weeks ago, and I have been listening to much more music than usually. For me the whine (that the 180's also have) and slightly worse range and battery life are just minor niggles compared to the ramp up in the quality of the audio. I might still have to do a direct side-by-side comparison and write something about it, but considering I've used the 180's daily for two years I think I have a fairly solid grasp on their sound.

However, when you factor in the price it does change the things a bit. For me, this was a no brainer when I saw them at lookat for 300€, since I have two pairs of 180's that both were around 250€ two years ago when I got them. But now that the price seems to have normalized to about double that of 180 both in Europe and US, it is a bit trickier. I think LiavTeichner pretty much sums it up in his message on the previous page [ http://www.head-fi.org/t/574847/sennheiser-rs220-availability/195#post_8135466 ]. If you're just going to have one pair of headphones, go for the RS220 since they do pretty much everything well, but if you already have high-end wired headphones for more serious listening and only need wireless for late night movies and tv and for casual listening around the house, go for the 180's. 

Thanks mate, book-marked....
I'll get them in the new year I think...
Already pretty happy with the 180's for casual use.
Been meaning to get a good corded pair for "years".
So it might be time to finally get them first.
I have most of the gear to justify it now.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back