Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Mar 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #301 of 500
Quote:
I consider the Sonys to be superior to the RS220s in sound quality when in a lossless setting such as Dolby TrueHD or DTSHDMA which I believe is when they are transmitting at 24/192.

All of that refers to the INPUTS (which is why the literature uses the word "sources").  The RS220 undoubtedly uses the same third-party DSSS transmission chip as the Sony, so both are 16bit 48khz, which is "lossless", which is also true of the RS180 a year or two ago, so the "first lossless" sales pitch is complete BS.

I would expect the Sonys to have the same "micro-drops" when mounted in exactly the same spot as the RS220.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #302 of 500
All of that refers to the INPUTS (which is why the literature uses the word "sources").  The RS220 undoubtedly uses the same third-party DSSS transmission chip as the Sony, so both are 16bit 48khz, which is "lossless", which is also true of the RS180 a year or two ago, so the "first lossless" sales pitch is complete BS.

I would expect the Sonys to have the same "micro-drops" when mounted in exactly the same spot as the RS220.

I'm having trouble finding literature on this model, since everything I've found so far is in Japanese. In his review of the DS7500, George includes a translated blurb: "Also supports high-quality source with more than six times the amount of information about 192kHz, 24bit maximum." Based on this, I would tend to agree this suggests the inputs can accept the hi-res signal, but not necessarily that the transmitter transmits in the same signal. It would be helpful, though, if there were more to back this up. Can you direct us to more information, kstuart?

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #303 of 500
I am actually getting a refund. I put in a tech support ticket with Sennheiser and received no reply. Actually make that two tickets from two different email addresses. I have contacted the folks that sold them to me and i was waiting on a RMA, but... They still have no stock in, so i will send these back and get a refund (minus the Fedex charge)

The sound is incredible for wireless cans, but I couldn't even watch a full movie last night as the sound kept dropping in mid conversation. I purchased a set of rs160's for a buck 40 and while they definitely do not sound as good, they don't drop and if there is audio playing the hiss is not that bothersome. Shame cause I was really looking forward to these. But I'd rather use my Shure 535's wired than have to go through these micro drops, really is a pain in the ...

I am very happy for those that do have units that function correctly, but I have tried everything even to the point of shutting down all other wireless signals in my home (cell phones included) and still get the drops when sitting three feet away from the base.

Maybe when they get the bugs iron out I may bite again...

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #304 of 500

Just a quick impression versus the HD600 with these...

I did find static to be an issue with RCA out of the AudioLab M-DAC to the RS220 base unit, same deal
 with the iPhone's headphone out 3.5mm to RCA for the base unit.

It all worked very nicely though when I connected up a Nordost SPDIF cable from the Coax out of the DAC
 and ran that to the RS220 receiver.

Overall, I was quite impressed - the sound stage feels wider than the HD600 but critical listening reveals
 that the HD600 offer superior tonality across the range, the HD600 also digs a little deeper and offers more
 bass detail.

Still for the cash and convenience - 99% of non audiophiles will seek these out over a HD600 in my opinion.

The bad news is that if you're looking for a wireless HD650 - you will be disappointed, these ain't warm.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #305 of 500
Gwarmi, thanks for the impressions. Your take that the RS220 isn't on a par with the HD650 was particularly interesting. It sounds like the static problems you had were connection-based, rather than problems with signal transmission. Did you notice any issues with micro-drops, or whine/hum, related to transmission?

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #306 of 500

Quote:
Gwarmi, thanks for the impressions. Your take that the RS220 isn't on a par with the HD650 was particularly interesting. It sounds like the static problems you had were connection-based, rather than problems with signal transmission. Did you notice any issues with micro-drops, or whine/hum, related to transmission?

First up I did try it - straight out of the iPhone headphone out with a 3.5mm to RCA Nuforce cable and there
 was no hum or static to mention, however drop-outs were occurring approximately 6 to 7metres+ away from
 the base unit. Switched over to Coax/SPDIF and everything was trouble free concerning the usual wireless
 gremlins. When I went back to the iPhone later in the day - that's when the static emerged.

What did surprise me - and this is where the 'HD650' comparison came in, is that they're fairly sparkly
 and full of treble energy, interesting that Sennheiser chose to voice them as slightly brighter than a 
 HD600.

Anyone coming from a HD650 to these as a second set for general use eg, movies, TV, casual listening
 could end up finding them to be quite confronting and fatiguing.

I love a bright signature but felt that this particular 'fizzy' sound signature needs to be expressed for anyone
 considering a pair. I'd recommend an audition if you're not partial to a bright sound.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #307 of 500

As a brief 'bright benchmark' ~ I'd say they're more or less on par with these Beyer T70p's I've got on hand at the moment
 in terms of being, neutral yet a little fizzy beyond the upper mids.

Not sure what anyone else's take is on these but I'm keen to hear some opinions.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #309 of 500

Quote:
Does the brighter signature come at the expense of the HD650's bass response, or is it in addition to it?

These do not touch the HD650's bass response at all - in sheer quantity or in quality and detail.

I'd say it's the weakest suite of the audio spectrum for the RS220 actually, it did not even make the
 mark against the HD600 in that sense, never mind the HD650's more robust bottom end.

I could live with it but anyone desiring HD650 or DST990 like bottom end is going to be
 let down, bassheads who love 'all you can eat bass' - even more so.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #310 of 500
Very helpful insights, Gwarmi. I will be interested to hear others' takes on this. So far, sonic impressions have been positive, but most descriptions have been fairly general. Can anybody else comment on the specifics of the sound signature?

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #311 of 500

Quote:
 First up I did try it - straight out of the iPhone headphone out with a 3.5mm to RCA Nuforce cable and there
 was no hum or static to mention, however drop-outs were occurring approximately 6 to 7metres+ away from
 the base unit. Switched over to Coax/SPDIF and everything was trouble free concerning the usual wireless
 gremlins. When I went back to the iPhone later in the day - that's when the static emerged.

What did surprise me - and this is where the 'HD650' comparison came in, is that they're fairly sparkly
 and full of treble energy, interesting that Sennheiser chose to voice them as slightly brighter than a 
 HD600.

Anyone coming from a HD650 to these as a second set for general use eg, movies, TV, casual listening
 could end up finding them to be quite confronting and fatiguing.

I love a bright signature but felt that this particular 'fizzy' sound signature needs to be expressed for anyone
 considering a pair. I'd recommend an audition if you're not partial to a bright sound.

This is good to know, besides the drop out issues some have reported, I am treble sensitive so I think the RS220 has been officially ruled out! haha for those who have tried the RS180 how is the top end on those phones? are they mellow like the 650 or pretty sibilant? 

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #313 of 500
A little more information. Just off the phone with Sennheiser technical support, got to speak with a live person. They asked me if the room I was in had high ceilings and yep lo and behold my ceiling are about 17 t0 10 feet in a slant. He said that the 2.4 Ghz frequency they  run on does not do well with very open rooms with high celings and that I should try to position the base closer to the lowest part of the ceiling as it may work better.

I will try this tonight to see if this in anyway betters performance, because I would hate to give them up. Do they sound as good as my shure 535's? No, but... The dont have wires :)

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #314 of 500
I said in a previous post that other impressions of the sound signature have been general, not specific. After actually going back and looking at a few of them (not all...so there may be more I missed), I see I was wrong.

To me, the RS-220 sounds more like the LCD2 than the HE-500.  More directly, it sounds to me like the HD-650 that I had for a while.  Lush midrange, good bass, recessed treble  (which I now like more than I did when I had the HD 650).  I find I can listen at extremely low volume and still feel I'm enjoying the musicality, and getting pretty much the full range. 

My initial impression is that they sound quite full in the mid range, have ample bass, tight not flabby,
and the treble is clear but slightly laid back... not bright or harsh

It's interesting to note the differences between Otinkyad's and Head Dragon's impressions - which are more or less in agreement with each other - and Gwarmi's. Not to put down anyone's observations - it's just striking how subjective this hobby is.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #315 of 500
He said that the 2.4 Ghz frequency they  run on does not do well with very open rooms with high celings and that I should try to position the base closer to the lowest part of the ceiling as it may work better.

Boy, there sure are a lot of qualifiers as to whether or not the RS220 is a good purchase for someone - not only should you live in an environment relatively wi-fi free (good luck with that), but now, it turns out, you shouldn't have vaulted or high ceilings, either. From a marketing perspective, it's easy to see why they don't include this information in the manual or the marketing literature. Still, it sounds like the RS220 has the potential not to work well for a lot of customers, and Sennheiser is content to let people find out for themselves, rather than advising them up front.

At any rate, I'll be interested to hear how re-positioning works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back