sennheiser Px 200-II or...?
Sep 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
I'm leaning more towards the PX-200 because of the isolation and portability, since i'll use them mainly in the train. What others achieve this compromise better? I think it's a big plus the fact you can fold a pair of headphones and stick them in a coats pocket or the laptops backpack. 

Of the headphones I mentioned, the Beyerdynamic DTX-501p is about the same size and is as compact as the PX-200. It folds slightly differently (see photo). I feel that this headphone was designed specifically for commuters. It isolates very well and there is almost no leakage. It ships with a nice case and an airline adaptor, so I think they are targeting that type of use. It all comes down to personal opinion, and I am a fan of Sennheiser, but the DTX-501p really sounds a lot better than the PX-200. If you really prefer a flat response then the Senn is a good choice, but if you want some bass (not too much) and detailed mids with a very smooth treble then the DTX-501p is hard to beat.

I use it for the same purpose (I take the "El" train to work everyday in Chicago) and it's the best for that. The only other one I do use sometimes is the Noontec Zoro, which sounds great, folds very compact, and has a carrying pouch. (again see photo).

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 20
There is an import only from Japan model from JVC called the HA-S500.

They have a new material they use they call "carbon nanotubes". These things way out perform their price and I believe they will have a better overall sound than the px200. They are also very efficient and can be ran well with or without an amplifier.

Amazon has japanese sellers that import them.

Just a suggestion that may fit your budget.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #18 of 20
I also mentioned the S500, could they be in the market soon?

postrock those beyers look very tempting, but they are pretty new and the price is still a bit high. 
Price wise i'm looking at: Px-200 ii - €60  /  S500 - around €65  /  DTX501 - €90-100 
I think i'll wait till christmas or so to see if the s500 arrive in the rest of the world and the beyers sell for a little less

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
I also mentioned the S500, could they be in the market soon?

postrock those beyers look very tempting, but they are pretty new and the price is still a bit high. 
Price wise i'm looking at: Px-200 ii - €60  /  S500 - around €65  /  DTX501 - €90-100 
I think i'll wait till christmas or so to see if the s500 arrive in the rest of the world and the beyers sell for a little less

I'm very curious about the S500, but it's not available in the U.S. yet. When it is, I'll get a pair from my contact at JVC to review. Even the Beyers are not readily available here right except for direct from them. I feel like when they are the price will come down a bit. But I'm enjoying them. Have you ever looked into the AKG K422?  Those are sometimes available here way cheap, and they sound very good.

One last thought on the PX-200. I've tried other very neutral sounding headphones while commuting and I just don't get the same experience with them as compared to listening in the quiet of my home.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 20
driven to this forum cause in search of headphones

i m heading toward px 200-II which was my last years choice for my girlfriend. I can now get them at 68 euros
leaving the sound quality aside as drawbacks would sound
- the non detouchable cable ( prone to damages i guess). 
- the cable's thickness.. easily gets tangled

- the absence of the microphone ( for use with mobile device ) 

on the other side the px 200 IIi have the mic.. but the volume rocker works only with apple products.
-does any of you know if with any android app which modifies the controllers use can this thing be changed ? 
-do you think that for 13 euros extra cost the "i" version for the built-in mic is worth the money even if at the end i d have to adjust the volume through the device ? 

and my other option are the Sony's MDR-V55; Totally different option though.
-i haven't been able to find a pair to test them. 
-i like the look of them - although big. 
-i like the tangle-free cable. 
-i can get them more than 10 euros down the px 200ii price at the moment
what's your opinion comparing them to the px 200ii soundwise ? 

the spectrum of music i m into is wide. i m into electro, synthopop, britpop, goth rock, industrial, ebm, punk. noise, ambient, etc.. so i aim to all-arounder headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back