sennheiser Px 200-II or...?
Sep 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

floyds

New Head-Fier
Hello guys
biggrin.gif
. As you may notice i'm new around here, and i'm also new to the audiophile world. Now i just love music, can't live without her mainly Rock, Psy Rock, Progressive, Blues, but i'm open to mostly everything out there except maybe hip hop, so the extra bass issue just don't touches me XD. The prob is this, i have a Hd 555 home listening, Akg k141 when i play the bass, and had (because they broke up) a pair of Yuin Pk2 (of course being a student I dont have the possibility to purchase high end headphone although i would love a pair of HD 650 or some good Grado) so now i'm thinking of some new headphones for my Walkman X and laptop. The prob is that i can't decide what exactly i should get for not more than 100 Euros. Earbuds, or On Ear. I fear the quality of the earbuds generally...i dont know maybe a pair of Sennheiser Px 200 II or HD 229/239 would be better, what do you think guys, what can i get for 100 E? Of course the sound is the most important thing, than portability but i wouldn't like to go around with a pair of Sony ZX700. Leave it to you guys 
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 20
I had the Sennheiser PX200-ii headphones which I bought for work purposes, but eventually gave them to my parents as I didn't care much for their sound. I significantly prefer my Yamaha EPH-100 IEMs at work. Better isolation and sound quality, especially bass, in my view. If you work in a noisy environment the sound isolation offered by IEMs are invaluable. Can't offer you much advice on ear buds though. If you like rock music the Grado SR60i is worth looking into, but it will leak a lot of sound and offer little isolation.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 20
Well first thing, thankyou for your replay :)
Actually i would be using them in a noisy environment. I've heard about the Yamaha..the only thing i don't like about them is the fact being in-ear, i hate in-ear headphones, too much isolation and they just heart my ears, that's why i was headed to earbuds not in-ear. about the Grado never had the possibility to listen to them but they seem to be a great pair of headphones, only con is exactly what you said, they leak a lot..

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 20
Maybe the HD25-1-ii would be something to look into. It is a bit more than your budget would allow for, but it has great noise isolation and it is an pretty engaging headphone to listen to if you like rock music. Thought they were a bit more uncomfortable than I would have liked so that is something to watch. You could also check out the Sennheiser HD449 as they are pretty decent allrounders. I had the older HD448s and they were very midcentric and the bass wasn't too good unless you used an amp.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Maybe the HD25-1-ii would be something to look into. It is a bit more than your budget would allow for, but it has great noise isolation and it is an pretty engaging headphone to listen to if you like rock music. Thought they were a bit more uncomfortable than I would have liked so that is something to watch. You could also check out the Sennheiser HD449 as they are pretty decent allrounders. I had the older HD448s and they were very midcentric and the bass wasn't too good unless you used an amp.

Yeah i've checked the Hd25 and they seem a very good headphone, a little out my budget (like 50 €) but i will consider them, about the HD449 they seem too big to me. I've checked a couple of in-ear (i should get used to the fact that they are destroying classic earbuds) even though i hate them (guess i'ved tried the ones that comes along with the mp3 players and never a good pair of them) like the Yamaha you've mentioned (they seem pretty solid and rocky XD) and the HifiMan Re262 along with the X10 (but i doubt the build quality of the Klipsch) what do you think about them? Majorly on sound and comfort 
smile.gif
 although the Sennheiser hd25 are really tempting me!

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 20
Unfortunately have no experience with those IEM models. I would have suggested you look at Shure as their olive foam tips are the most comfortable I have used, but the updated shape of the ear pieces used in the #15 series don't appear as comfortable as those used in the previous  #10 family. The oval shaped ear tips on the Klipsch IEMs also look very comfortable, but as I said I have no idea how they sound.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 20
I use everyday px 100, and it s a gréât product for thé price.
I think PX 100 is a must have !

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Hello guys
biggrin.gif
. As you may notice i'm new around here, and i'm also new to the audiophile world. Now i just love music, can't live without her mainly Rock, Psy Rock, Progressive, Blues, but i'm open to mostly everything out there except maybe hip hop, so the extra bass issue just don't touches me XD. The prob is this, i have a Hd 555 home listening, Akg k141 when i play the bass, and had (because they broke up) a pair of Yuin Pk2 (of course being a student I dont have the possibility to purchase high end headphone although i would love a pair of HD 650 or some good Grado) so now i'm thinking of some new headphones for my Walkman X and laptop. The prob is that i can't decide what exactly i should get for not more than 100 Euros. Earbuds, or On Ear. I fear the quality of the earbuds generally...i dont know maybe a pair of Sennheiser Px 200 II or HD 229/239 would be better, what do you think guys, what can i get for 100 E? Of course the sound is the most important thing, than portability but i wouldn't like to go around with a pair of Sony ZX700. Leave it to you guys 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'm with the same dilema and there are so many models on the market it's very difficult to choose.
I'm targeting the Senn px200, beyer dt235 and dtx501, and jvc s500, but open to suggestions.

Both of you have a lot of good choices available. Sorry that my latest roundup review is not done yet and will not be posted for 2 - 3 weeks. But I have most of these phones and I'm happy to give you some impressions.

Sennheiser PX-200 II - I don't own a pair of these, but have listened to them many times. Very, very weak bass but good mids and highs. Look around here and you'll find a lot of opnions. They have a few fans but many of the reviews are negative.

Sennheiser HD229 and HD239 - I am reviewing both of these currently. They are very nice sounding headphones with great detail and decent bass. floyds, based on your music tastes you would like these. They are super comfortable too. Both models sound similar but the HD239 is open and has a better soundstage. But know that they don't isolate very well. There is not too much leakage but you will hear a lot of what is going on around you. My only real complaint is that the cable is quite thin and flimsy.

Beyerdynamic DT235 - I have the older DT231 which is basically the same. Great sound and comfortable with pretty average isolation but the 8 ft. cable makes them pretty unsuitable for portable use.

Beyerdynamic DTX-501p - I just got a pair of this new model for my reviews. They are pretty exceptional. SQ is balanced and detailed with tight bass, rich sounding mids and smooth highs. They are lightweight and comfortable and one of the best small headphones I've ever used in terms of isolation. I have been using them on my commute and they are great for that. Ships with a nice small semi-hard carrying case. Of all the headphones you mentioned this would be my top recommendation.

I have about 25 headphones that will be in my next roundup. Some others that are standouts are:

Noontec Zoro - While these look like a blatant ripoff of the Beats Solo, the SQ is very hi-fi and they are comfortable and isolate pretty well. They have had almost entirely positive reviews everywhere. If you don't mind them looking like a Beats wannabe (but with MUCH better SQ) I highly recommend them.

Ultrasone HFI-15G - This model has been around for years. They recently updated it with a shorter cable (no more 8 ft. like the DT235) and the price has dropped. A really fantastic and polished sounding little headphone that is THE most comfortable I've ever tried. They remind me a lot of my Allesandro MS-1 (Grado) but without the comfort issues. These are my #1 choice when hanging out at home with a portable source. I could probably wear them all day with no discomfort. A very underrated headphone. The downside? Almost no isolation and lots of leakage so they are not good in a noisy environment or if you're concerned about bothering others.

Incase Sonic - Surpringly refined sound for an "Apple market" headphone. They are unique looking, comfortable, completely circumnaural (so good isolation) and well-made. I'm not sure about Europe but deals can be found here in the U.S. MSRP is $149 USD and they are usually sold by online retailers for $60-$80 USD.

Fischer Audio FA-004 (and all the re-branded versions) - Seriously good sound out of these and they isolate well. The only real reason to buy the Fisher Audio version (make sure you are getting the "v.2") is that they come with three different earpads of which one is velour. The velour pads make it a much more comfortable headphone. But even with normal pads this is a headphone that can be stretched and even bent a bit if they feel too snug. It's amazing how many other versions of these are on the market. And they are not copies or fakes, they are the same headphone. Some are as low priced as $35 USD, which is a steal for the SQ you're getting. Currently, these are also sold as:

Incipio f38
Brainwavz HM3
Ace MP-68
MC Crypt DJ-50
Maxell Retro DJ

Lastly, one of the more highly recommended headphones in this category is the Creative Aurvana Live!. Lots of discussion on those here. True they don't isolate all that well for a closed can, but the SQ is great and so is the comfort. I have the discontinued Denon D1001, which is almost identical, and they are perhaps my favorite all-rounder.

Hope that helps! Let us know what you get.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
I use everyday px 100, and it s a gréât product for thé price.
I think PX 100 is a must have !

The PX-100 II was the winner of my "ultra compact" portable roundup:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

I liked it more than the PortaPro, v-Jays, and AIAIAI Tracks, etc. But the headphones I mentioned in the above class are in a little different category.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 20
Hi Postrock,
I m totaly allright with your post.
I own Px100 and px100 seconde génération.
I prefer thé px100 orignal ( More natural Sound ) but px100 seconde génération is gréât too and have More bass.
I think it s thé best value on thé market.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 20
When i listen P5 I :D
So bad Sound for thé price compare to px100 !

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm leaning more towards the PX-200 because of the isolation and portability, since i'll use them mainly in the train. What others achieve this compromise better? I think it's a big plus the fact you can fold a pair of headphones and stick them in a coats pocket or the laptops backpack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back