Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #2,626 of 4,902
This has probably been done to death with I'm wondering what people's opinions are on what they consider to be the best overall DAC/AMP (one unit, not stacks) that pairs nicely with the IE900 for optimal detail retrieval, imaging, separation, and generally good synergy.

For portable use and moving room to room (I don't use my IE900's outside) I'm happy to use my Creative SXFI Amp. It's actually a very good and well implemented device, very underrated IMO. I did try the L&P W2 (with the IE900 & SE846) but it always sounds lifeless, flat, emotionless.

I'd like something to sit down properly with for critical listening with great technicalities but also still has "emotion" ... any suggestions? It has to be 3.5mm SE only as I don't want to swap cables.

It could be the SXFI amp is all I need but looking for opinions from experience.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #2,627 of 4,902
This has probably been done to death with I'm wondering what people's opinions are on what they consider to be the best overall DAC/AMP (one unit, not stacks) that pairs nicely with the IE900 for optimal detail retrieval, imaging, separation, and generally good synergy.

For portable use and moving room to room (I don't use my IE900's outside) I'm happy to use my Creative SXFI Amp. It's actually a very good and well implemented device, very underrated IMO. I did try the L&P W2 (with the IE900 & SE846) but it always sounds lifeless, flat, emotionless.

I'd like something to sit down properly with for critical listening with great technicalities but also still has "emotion" ... any suggestions? It has to be 3.5mm SE only as I don't want to swap cables.

It could be the SXFI amp is all I need but looking for opinions from experience.

Thanks.
I also have the Creative Sound Blaster Z card and it sounds awesome.
Since you looking for SE only device with more lively detail retrieval, try driving IE 900 with Chord Mojo. It will probably do well of adding more "emotion" to the sound :ksc75smile:.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #2,628 of 4,902
Been reading reviews on how to get most of my IE900 and one particular review stood above all the others.
Sennheiser IE900 Review by Precogvision

For me, most interesting part of the review is where he talks about how little bit of EQ could alter sound of IE900 for better.
Same details also can be found here in the forum as well.

I tried the EQ preset using Equalizer APO and all I can say, I am in WOW!!!

I have copy pasted below the settings for easy reference
  • Frequency: 1360, Gain: -1.3, Q: 1
  • Frequency: 2900, Gain: 4.8, Q: 1.25
  • Frequency: 4000, Gain: 2.6, Q: 1.95
  • Frequency: 5500, Gain: -3.2, Q: 4.90
Huge thanks to Precogvision and his friends who made this possible for all of us.

Since Equalizer APO is for Linux and Windows only (sadly not for Android ), I wanted to find a way to get it work work with my android phone LG V50.

Here is the best part!!!. You can do it with no added cost using Wavelet

I have a previous post here on how to experiment with different built in Wavelet profiles. however they were not meant for IE900 exact frequency target and I have exported the above EQ settings to closely match above EQ.
Simply import the attached EQ settings file in Wavelet and here the difference. To me, it takes my already beloved IE900 to another level.

If you own Android phone, please try this and see how much of a difference it makes to the sonic characteristics of IE900.
Took directly Precogvision's comment below to encourage you all to try this out :).
What a remarkable difference it makes. In fact, if this was the stock tuning, I'd easily say the IE900 is the best single DD IEM that I've heard to date!
- Precogvision
Blow is how it should look like after importing the EQ to Wavelet app.
Screenshot_20211129-131547[1].png

Hope you all try this out and happy listening.
Do let me know if you have tried this out and found it useful.

Attachments

• IE900V2.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #2,629 of 4,902
Ha, this review actually mentioned problem of stock tips
https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/sennheiser-ie900-review

They frequently break seal, likely a result of the overly thin walls collapsing against the ear canal when inserted. Pretty much everyone I've talked to has this issue to some extent, and this means that I have to angle the IE900 slightly clockwise when seating them in my ear.

I've returned to the stock tips once again... I have no choice since SQ is significantly worse when using tips with non wide nozzle.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #2,630 of 4,902
Been reading reviews on how to get most of my IE900 and one particular review stood above all the others.
Sennheiser IE900 Review by Precogvision

For me, most interesting part of the review is where he talks about how little bit of EQ could alter sound of IE900 for better.
Same same details also can be found here in the forum as well.

I tried the EQ preset using Equalizer APO and all I can say, I am in WOW!!!

I have copy pasted below the settings for easy reference

Huge thanks to Precogvision and his friends who made this possible for all of us.

Since Equalizer APO is for Linux and Windows only (sadly not for Android ), I wanted to find a way to get it work work with my android phone LG V50.

Here is the best part!!!. You can do it with no added cost using Wavelet

I have a previous post here on how to experiment with different built in Wavelet profiles. however they were not meant for IE900 exact frequency target and I have exported the above EQ settings to closely match above EQ.
Simply import the attached EQ settings file in Wavelet and here the difference. To me, it takes my already beloved IE900 to another level.

If you own Android phone, please try this and see how much of a difference it makes to the sonic characteristics of IE900.
Took directly Precogvision's comment below to encourage you all to try this out :).

Blow is how it should look like after importing the EQ to Wavelet app.
Screenshot_20211129-131547[1].png
Hope you all try this out and happy listening.
Do let me know if you have tried this out and found it useful.
iOS cries looking at this :frowning2: Nice find though

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #2,631 of 4,902
iOS cries looking at this :frowning2: Nice find though
If your whole ecosystem is apple based finding a good systemwide PEQ hard it seems, though there are many programs with good built in PEQ only when using the player (only good for locally stored music collections). Since I mainly stream music from Apple music( previously Tidal and Deezer), that's where the advantage of android comes in.
crinacle talks about this setup and limitations with Apple eco system here

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2,632 of 4,902
Back in stock in the UK:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/ie-900

Wonder if they're still German made? it specifically says so in the blurb but it could just not have been updated.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #2,634 of 4,902
If the blurb is correct it's still Germany, however production was said to be moving to Ireland.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,635 of 4,902
The blurb has been updated:
  • Developed in Germany and manufactured at our state-of-the-art Ireland plant

Seems the new stock is indeed manufactured in Ireland. I'm sure the quality will be just as good so it'll make no difference. Saying that, I'm glad I managed to secure myself a 'late-production' original Made in Germany set.

Apparently just in the last minute also out of stock! These go quickly.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,636 of 4,902
The blurb has been updated:
  • Developed in Germany and manufactured at our state-of-the-art Ireland plant

Seems the new stock is indeed manufactured in Ireland. I'm sure the quality will be just as good so it'll make no difference. Saying that, I'm glad I managed to secure myself a 'late-production' original Made in Germany set.

Apparently just in the last minute also out of stock! These go quickly.
True, but i will still prefer a set made in Germany.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,638 of 4,902
F for my IE900....

Today it died way too young after just 3 month of use. Wish me luck for a quick replacement 🥲
Damn! If you don't mind me asking what's your serial number (or rounded to nearest 100), as I think the early units may have had a few teething problems (much like the IE300) - I'm sure issues were sorted on the later units? [could be entirely misinformed]

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,639 of 4,902
Damn! If you don't mind me asking what's your serial number (or rounded to nearest 100), as I think the early units may have had a few teething problems (much like the IE300) - I'm sure issues were sorted on the later units? [could be entirely misinformed]
Serial number is close to 3700.

The right headphone died for me. First i thought it might be the cable because when i moved it worked again but after switching cables the problem still was there. Either the connector is broken or some internals got loose. No matter what i expect them to just replace the whole unit because repairing doesnt seem like an option without damaging the casing or other internals to some degree and just swapping one unit wont work because the drivers are specifically matched with the IE900. Hopefully they can organize a replacement somewhat quick 🥲

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #2,640 of 4,902
Yeah all the best, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting it resolved. Repairing might be the option for them though as I doubt they have any stock sets kicking around purely for warranty purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back