Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #2,611 of 4,806
I am still on my stock silicone M. I tried so many eartips including the AET07 which many here liked it and the Final Audio Type E but still went back to the stock haha. It sounds so good with the stock.

You're 100% correct. They sound much better with stock tips.

I've noticed that stock tips have another 'sound pass'...
Here is stock tips near the Sony and Comply tips.

Attachments

• IMG_4702.JPG
    IMG_4702.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #2,612 of 4,806
You're 100% correct. They sound much better with stock tips.

I've noticed that stock tips have another 'sound pass'...
Here is stock tips near the Sony and Comply tips.
The tube hole needs to be very large to feed your ears properly without impacting the sound quality... till now the only after market tips I have found with a long and large tube are the AZLA SednaEarfitLight ... no other one could replace the Sennheiser for sound quality. The Azla are far easier to put inside the ear canal than Stock Sennheiser for IE900..

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #2,613 of 4,806
The tube hole needs to be very large to feed your ears properly without impacting the sound quality... till now the only after market tips I have found with a long and large tube are the AZLA SednaEarfitLight ... no other one could replace the Sennheiser for sound quality. The Azla are far easier to put inside the ear canal than Stock Sennheiser for IE900..
Interested in this but my local store only has the short version.

Another reason why I like the stock tips is because it has waxguard and foam insert so I feel safe about not letting anything goes inside my IE900. I find it amusing how sound is still so good with those in the eartips haha. Amazing job Sennheiser!

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #2,614 of 4,806
Interested in this but my local store only has the short version.

Another reason why I like the stock tips is because it has waxguard and foam insert so I feel safe about not letting anything goes inside my IE900. I find it amusing how sound is still so good with those in the eartips haha. Amazing job Sennheiser!

You can take some wax protection from the foam tips and stick them in the azla tips.
I agree, I really enjoy the sound quality of the Sennheiser standard tips with the IE900, the only real issue is that it's a bit too tricky to seal them perfectly in the ear canal (but it can be done).

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,615 of 4,806
the only real issue is that it's a bit too tricky to seal them perfectly in the ear canal (but it can be done).
That issue should be more commonly known. Since i read/saw about 10 reviews and each of them praised how comfortable these new earphones are.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,616 of 4,806
That issue should be more commonly known. Since i read/saw about 10 reviews and each of them praised how comfortable these new earphones are.
We are many in this thread from the beginning to struggle to seal the standard IE900 tips and keep them seal for a long time....so I gave up and I tried to find some other tips.

Otherwise, In my case, the Xelento is more comfortable than the IE 900 (Sennheiser cable is too noisy and hard and makes it a permanent feel around the ears).
But I still prefer IE900 SQ... less than IER-Z1R SQ and a bit more than Xelento...
Xelento is really the most comfortable, the IE900 less .. and IER-Z1R, even less than the IE900, and can't be used lying down with the head on the side.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2,617 of 4,806
Agree. I think the issue is because the flaps are very thin. Don’t know if flaps is the right word for it haha. But I think they get folded sometimes while in the ear canal. Got to readjust till they have a good fit. That’s the annoying part. But once it fits, its good to go.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #2,618 of 4,806
Agree. I think the issue is because the flaps are very thin. Don’t know if flaps is the right word for it haha. But I think they get folded sometimes while in the ear canal. Got to readjust till they have a good fit. That’s the annoying part. But once it fits, its good to go.
This exactly. I come across this mistake at times in my IEM journeys. If you make a thin silicone tip, it has to be moldable. In this case, when it's pushed out of the shape it wants to be it folds. That's not the reaction you want, it should flex not fold.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #2,620 of 4,806
I wonder which IEM would complement best with IE900 ?
Thinking about UM MEST MK II or U12T, but haven't tried any of those.
I previously had Andromeda, and don't think they are great combo with IE900.
Which music do you listen to that you don't think the IE 900 excels at, it that you want to hear presented differently?

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #2,621 of 4,806
Which music do you listen to that you don't think the IE 900 excels at, it that you want to hear presented differently?
That’s a good point ! I listen to rock , classical / OST and EDM and IE900 is really good at those . I just feel I want to switch to another IEM to listen the same music with a different sound signature , maybe something a bit warmer, but still technical, with good amount of details and big soundstage

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #2,622 of 4,806
That’s a good point ! I listen to rock , classical / OST and EDM and IE900 is really good at those . I just feel I want to switch to another IEM to listen the same music with a different sound signature , maybe something a bit warmer, but still technical, with good amount of details and big soundstage
The only way up from IE 900 in that case is perhaps something like a Legend X or EVO, but they're both much more expensive. The VE EXT is probably also a step up and in line with that sonic profile. You can also get a warmer IE 900 (though less technical and resolving) for 1/4 the price in the IE 300.

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,623 of 4,806
I have Mest II and I think it has similar signature to IE900, not the step up. I would definitely try the VE EXT when it's available as a step up.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2,624 of 4,806
The only way up from IE 900 in that case is perhaps something like a Legend X or EVO, but they're both much more expensive. The VE EXT is probably also a step up and in line with that sonic profile. You can also get a warmer IE 900 (though less technical and resolving) for 1/4 the price in the IE 300.
Thanks for recommendations, I haven’t heard of VE EXT, but Empire IEMs seem to be not on the comfortable side. Anyway better to try before buying

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,625 of 4,806
I have Mest II and I think it has similar signature to IE900, not the step up. I would definitely try the VE EXT when it's available as a step up.
Thanks! How would you say IE900 do in comparison with Mest MKII ? Does any of those have better bass / soundstage / detail retrieval? Or, as you’ve mentioned, they are on the same level ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back