Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,581 of 4,836
Hey everyone!
Ear tips and comfort are key to in-ear wearing comfort and forming a good seal for isolation and bass response. To help in this regard, Sennheiser includes tips in foam and silicone, in three sizes each, and each tip can be used in two positions!

Sennheiser just released this illustration to better demonstrate the two positions and insertion depth options on the included ear tips:

As you can see, the tips can be pushed all the way down over the nozzle for a shallow insertion depth, or the tip pulled out to reveal some of the stem of the nozzle and to have the ear tip extend deeper into the ear. The tips hold these two positions by having two grooves in both the silicone and the foam tips, as shown here:

The sound and comfort will vary based on an individual’s ear shape, where the first bend of their ear canal is, and personal preference. We encourage all users to experiment!
Well, it's been several months now. I want to have replacements on hand. I went to the Sennheiser website (US), and it pointed me to cushions for the IE-300, and to top it off:
1637273591709.png

Needless to say, my first reaction is What The eFF? Oh, and another thing, when I push the dual-fit cushions into my ears (Medium), they collapse down to the flush setting.

What is happening? Will these dual-fit cushions become available in the US?

Thx,
Steve

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #2,582 of 4,836
+1. That said, if it's only the occasional track that's tripping you up, don't stress too much. Also, higher volume exacerbates bright treble, so maybe dial it down for harsher tracks. If you're finding IE 900 excellent for most of your music, that's the goal. No IEM will be 100% perfect for 100% of your music - there's always the odd poorly recorded or bright or distorted track that a high-end IEM will expose. That's just the way it is.

I think it might be poorly recorded too. So I am guessing I still have to find ways to get my IE 900 sound the way I want.

I will start with the Acoustune AET07 tips first. Then maybe tweak around the settings of my W2 like using low gain so volume is generally lower to prevent harsh treble.

Well, nothing is perfect. But overall the IE 900 has been a joy to listen to and that is the most important part right? 😁

I will report on the changes that I make when I think its close to perfect. Thank you for chiming in guys. I appreciate it.

Edit: on another note, I think the Spinfit CP360 is meant to boost treble so it might be the cause. The stock foam rarely produces the peaky treble but its borderline.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,583 of 4,836
Well, it's been several months now. I want to have replacements on hand. I went to the Sennheiser website (US), and it pointed me to cushions for the IE-300, and to top it off:
1637273591709.png
Needless to say, my first reaction is What The eFF? Oh, and another thing, when I push the dual-fit cushions into my ears (Medium), they collapse down to the flush setting.

What is happening? Will these dual-fit cushions become available in the US?

Thx,
Steve
Hey Steve, maybe if you use that article number and give Sennheiser a call during business hours, they might have some or be able to give you a more accurate answer?
1-877-736-6434 extension 1

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,584 of 4,836
Great combination. One of the best all-terrain Iems I've ever heard.

Any genre you put on them is good for them, and even more so when you associate them with a Gadget as solvent as the Dx300Max .. 8)
It joins comfort, full sound, detailed, with a lot of punch ... what more could you ask for?

20211119_165539.jpg

Best Regards

Sisco

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,585 of 4,836
So I've gotten a pair of these for a few weeks now so a couple of thoughts. Having to give up my Z1R due to fit issues was truly tragic because until the IE900 I haven't been able to find anything to impress me the same way (except the u12t but that one's more for reference listening). The subbass feels even more intense and rumbly than the Z1R, the mids aren't as recessed as the Z1R which bothered me sometimes, and most importantly these are tiny and have that Shure tier negative profile fit which is absolutely perfect. Stock tips are kinda meh, settled on L sized Final E tips for a good deep seal (shallow fit causes peaky treble for me). Having 3 cables is really nice, though not particularly a fan of the embedded memory wire. Maybe in the future I will invest in an EA ConX cable + connectors as I feel like this cable will end up getting sticky like the Z1R's cable did after a few months.

I've waited almost 10 years for a successor to my EX1000 as a single dynamic flagship, and the IE900 fills it pretty well. My EXK still does some things better than the IE900 but as a total package it checks off almost everything I want in my list. I think the u12t is still a level above in absolute technicalities and correctness of tonality, but it certainly is not as fun to listen to as the IE900 so I find myself reaching for these far more often as of recent.

Finally, in the world of driver count wars and novel new driver types it's refreshing to see Sennheiser put serious effort into pushing the limits of a really well performing single dynamic driver IEM. I really respect companies like them and Sony that make their own hardware and not just pull a bunch of off the shelf components and shove them into a shell and call it a day like some IEMs I've seen and tried in the past. Of course not everyone that does this makes crappy headphones, as tuning components is a separate challenge, but it's nice to see some companies go the extra mile.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #2,586 of 4,836
So I managed to find an alternate store that had one left. Feeling pretty lucky, as these are hard to come by these days.

20211016_121148_2.jpg

Intriguing listen for sure. I would say I'm wow'd by them at first listen. Gonna hold off my complete impression until ample time and ear-adjusting to them. What shouldn't be a surprise is the bass is what grabbed my attention immediately, for better or worse. I knew these things were gonna be bass-strong, but it's more than would've thought Senn would do for a flapship. And I've only listened using my neutral Hugo 2 so far.

Unless you're a basshead, I would not recommend this is an only headphone. But in a collection, it's definitely one to have. To me it's a properly done IER-Z1R, which to me was a super fun IEM but missing refinement that the IE-900 corrects: a much less intrusive dip in the mids and crisper treble. It has a similarly wide soundstage like the Z1R, and maybe even stronger low-end (going by memory, as I haven't had the Z1R in a while). Senn also always has a natural and cohesive tone that I appreciate.

At this early point, I don't see this replacing my KSE1200, and honestly, it isn't technically close. It's easily discernable when analyzing the bass, since it's so loud. It's a good quality but doesn't have the micro details that the KSE and my Utopia reveal so easily. I am quite impressed with the IE-900's treble tho. It's super crisp and articulated without going over the edge to peaky. I am quite used to the KSE's treble though, which can be fatiguing. In comparison, the IE-900's treble is just right.

With fit, I totally get most peoples' criticism with seal. It was my hope that Senn would've learned from the IE-800's tips, but they're done in similar fashion here. They're stubby and and too soft (which affects both the chance of a good seal and isolation). Just like the IE-800, I have to shove them deep in my ears and play with them a bit to get a proper seal. But I guess nothing I'm not used to. Just something Senn should have improved by now. Fit can make/break an earphone; it's an important thing.

I like the look/feel of the cables a lot. I get peoples' complaint about the ear hooks/memory wire. My KSE has a similar offense. So again, if I wasn't used to it, I'd be complaining too. I have a Linum SuperBaX cable that I may try, if the MMCX socket fits.

All-in-all, I foresee the IE-900 being the set I have for causal listening (i.e. while working, travelling, just want to chill or want a bassy listen). It's the most balance I've heard between pleasantness and detail. But if you're an analytical listener like a lot of us on Head-Fi are, I would not recommend this as a primary headphone.
Totally agree, everything is great, just the bass is a little bit too much.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,587 of 4,836
For me the bass is just enough to keep things exciting but on the other hand I can tune in and listen critically. They balance that line very well imo.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #2,588 of 4,836
Great combination. One of the best all-terrain Iems I've ever heard.

Any genre you put on them is good for them, and even more so when you associate them with a Gadget as solvent as the Dx300Max .. 8)
It joins comfort, full sound, detailed, with a lot of punch ... what more could you ask for?

20211119_165539.jpg

Best Regards

Sisco

Do you happen to know the differences between DX300 and the MAX? Is it good with the IE 900? DX300MAX is not available in my local stores so I am looking at DX300 now. Mainly on Apple Music. Looking for DAP that can tone down treble a bit as well.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #2,590 of 4,836
Got my IE900 to upgrade Andromeda 2019. Some thoughts :
1) Both are comfortable, but IE900 is much better. Really impressed how much sound those tiny IEMs have!
2) Andromeda is more neutral and has sparkling treble, while IE900 is more punchy, more detailed , and treble sounds just different , doesn’t seem sibilant to me.
3) IE900 clearly wins on bass. Not an “LCD-3 scull rattling” type of base, but good enough for EDM and other bass music genres.

I tried ie900 with ifi iDSD Signature, it’s a bit on the warm side , so I prefer plugging them directly to my iPhone. Overall, it’s a good upgrade from Andromeda I’m very happy with them !

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #2,591 of 4,836
Got my IE900 to upgrade Andromeda 2019. Some thoughts :
1) Both are comfortable, but IE900 is much better. Really impressed how much sound those tiny IEMs have!
2) Andromeda is more neutral and has sparkling treble, while IE900 is more punchy, more detailed , and treble sounds just different , doesn’t seem sibilant to me.
3) IE900 clearly wins on bass. Not an “LCD-3 scull rattling” type of base, but good enough for EDM and other bass music genres.

I tried ie900 with ifi iDSD Signature, it’s a bit on the warm side , so I prefer plugging them directly to my iPhone. Overall, it’s a good upgrade from Andromeda I’m very happy with them !

Congrats on the sweet upgrade! I tried the Andromeda before and has the same thoughts as you as well. By plugging directly, do you mean using the Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle?

I have the IE 900 for almost two weeks now and still marvelled by how such a small IEM is capable of delivering such outstanding sound. I am still finding ways to push it even further for better sound. Currently tips rolling and finding correct settings on my LP W2.

Have fun and enjoy the IE 900 👍🏻

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #2,592 of 4,836
Yeah, I kinda learn to keep the ie 900 away from warm sources. I figured this much when it was already bass-heavy with my Hugo 2. Tried it the Mojo and the sound felt muddy.

I think ESS dacs would generally be a good pairing. They tend to be leaner in the bass. I pulled out my DP-X1 and surprised as it sounded stellar with this iem.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,593 of 4,836
I don't find the IE 900 bass heavy at all. In fact I think it pairs beautifully with the HiBy RS6, which is a bass-boosted warmer source. I also use X-bass when I pair it with the ifi Go Blu. It has the most phsycal, visceral bass but never overwhelms the mids and never gets in the way of vocals. It could probably even use a hair less treble, to be honest, to balance it out even more.

All that said, keep in mind I find the Empire Ears Legend EVO bass just about perfect for my liking, which is why I consider IE 900 my everyday 'reference' listen. I didn't like it out of the Hugo2, for example, as it got too bright up top.

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,594 of 4,836
Congrats on the sweet upgrade! I tried the Andromeda before and has the same thoughts as you as well. By plugging directly, do you mean using the Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle?

I have the IE 900 for almost two weeks now and still marvelled by how such a small IEM is capable of delivering such outstanding sound. I am still finding ways to push it even further for better sound. Currently tips rolling and finding correct settings on my LP W2.

Have fun and enjoy the IE 900 👍🏻
Yeah 3.5mm dongle for me + IEM is the perfect combo for me! Sometimes I feel the less elements are in chain, the better it is!

I actually hope that IE900 will start a new wave in industry of small IEMs that would be a comfort bliss to listen! Btw I find the stock silicone tips working the best, tried Andromeda foam tip, which sounds good but fatiguing for long listening.

Yeah, I kinda learn to keep the ie 900 away from warm sources. I figured this much when it was already bass-heavy with my Hugo 2. Tried it the Mojo and the sound felt muddy.

I think ESS dacs would generally be a good pairing. They tend to be leaner in the bass. I pulled out my DP-X1 and surprised as it sounded stellar with this iem.
Indeed! I haven't heard Mojo, but I tried Hugo 2 and liked it a lot, especially huge sound stage and details. I'm sure it would pair great with IE900

I don't find the IE 900 bass heavy at all. In fact I think it pairs beautifully with the HiBy RS6, which is a bass-boosted warmer source. I also use X-bass when I pair it with the ifi Go Blu. It has the most phsycal, visceral bass but never overwhelms the mids and never gets in the way of vocals. It could probably even use a hair less treble, to be honest, to balance it out even more.

All that said, keep in mind I find the Empire Ears Legend EVO bass just about perfect for my liking, which is why I consider IE 900 my everyday 'reference' listen. I didn't like it out of the Hugo2, for example, as it got too bright up top.
Interesting, I used to listen IE900 through iPhone on Spotify , but yesterday I decided to try Apple Music, and the same songs seemed to have a bit more bass ! I listen EDM music

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,595 of 4,836
Interesting, I used to listen IE900 through iPhone on Spotify , but yesterday I decided to try Apple Music, and the same songs seemed to have a bit more bass ! I listen EDM music
IE 900 is great for EDM. Plays fine out of a phone, but scales nicely if you add an amp/DAC dongle, or plug it into a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back