Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Apr 10, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #4,171 of 4,848
I didn't remove the OEM cable after initial (brand new) MMCX cable unit it wore out 14 mos later. Replaced it w/better, but low-cost eBay cable made for IE-200 to 900.
I never swap cables because the MMCX is always moving and swiveling in normal use wearing itself out. It is POOR connection format that inspires little confidence in daily use. Especially that center, thin cylinder on the female side -- very delicate. Two-pin is much superior.
Before initial install, I do dab a TINY amount of CAIG DeoxIT, #D100L-2DB (via Brush) on both ends of connector.
That Deoxit is a good idea!

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #4,172 of 4,848
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #4,173 of 4,848
For Deoxit, use the (nail polish) brush stuff. Not spray. The chemistry is different. The "nail polish" DL100 is more durable, lubricates and is much longer lasting than spray.

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,174 of 4,848
Be carefull members, here are many fakes, the most visible difference in this ring - it is hot red, the original has cold red
I attached the image of fake one
IMG_20230411_223352.jpg

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #4,175 of 4,848
At least they did not use the Sennheiser Logo.

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #4,176 of 4,848
In this post I'll include some additional measurements of the Sennheiser IE 900 made on the Brüel & Kjær 5128 that I wanted to include in the video, but, again, I was trying to keep it at/under 15 minutes.

In the video, I included this measurement (Fig.1 below) comparing the frequency response of the Sennheiser IE900 with the Sennheiser HD650, normalized at 1 kHz. Since the other frequency response comparisons shown were normalized at 1 kHz I chose the same for this comparison. The frequency you pick to match up two frequency response curves for comparison can have a substantial impact on its interpretation. I wanted, then, to include the comparison normalized at 500 Hz, too (in Fig.2 below):

FR---Sennheiser-IE900-and-Sennheiser-HD650.jpg
Fig.1: Sennheiser IE 900 and Sennheiser HD650 frequency response comparison, normalized at 1 kHz (as shown in the video).
FR---Sennheiser-IE900-and-Sennheiser-HD650_normalized-0500Hz.jpg
Fig.2: Sennheiser IE 900 and Sennheiser HD650 frequency response comparison, normalized at 500 Hz.

Also, while in the video I mentioned the Sennheiser IE300 (which was released earlier this year), I did not show a frequency response comparison of the IE900 and IE300. Here it is (in Fig.3 below):

FR---Sennheiser-IE900-and-Sennheiser-IE300.jpg
Fig.3: Sennheiser IE900 and Sennheiser IE300 frequency response comparison, normalized at 1 kHz.

In the context of discussing the Harman Target, I also thought about discussing the AirPods Max in the video. Deciding it might be a bit of a contextual stretch in a video that's supposed to be about the IE900 (and in the interest of time), I opted not to include it.

The Apple AirPods Max is Apple's first premium over-ear headphone, and AirPods Max has, in my opinion, the best default tuning of any wireless ANC (active noise canceling) headphone I've heard to date. I suspect Apple did extensive research to arrive at the tuning of the AirPods Max (yet will almost certainly never publish any research of this type), arriving at a tuning that is different from Harman but (to my ears) every bit as safe a tuning. That is, the Apple AirPods Max tuning is one I think many people will like (and that many people seem to like). It's worth reading comments about (and reviews of) the AirPods Max, even in audiophile circles. Is the AirPods Max my top reference headphone of any type? No. Is it the best sounding default tuning in a wireless ANC headphone? For me, so far, yes.

Compared to the AKG K371 (which is one of the closest matches to the Harman AE/OE Target), I find the AirPods Max to have more neutral sounding midband and treble. I understand some will agree and some will disagree, but that's part of the point I was making in the video.

While the IE900 and AirPods Max do not sound the same, they share some qualities I like, so I thought you might like to see the frequency response of the Apple AirPods Max compared to the Sennheiser IE900 (Fig.4 below):

FR---Sennheiser-IE900-and-Apple-AirPods-Max.jpg
Fig.4: Sennheiser IE 900 and Apple AirPods Max frequency response comparison, normalized at 1 kHz.

In the Sennheiser IE900 video I only touched on the topic of the Harman Target. There's a lot more discuss, and I think we should continue to do that.

The measurements in this post were made using:
I'm off to buy a pair...

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #4,177 of 4,848
That depends on your preferences.
I would not pay the full price for the IE900 but I like it more than IE600.

I just picked up a refurb 900 on eBay for a little less than IE600 new, holy moly this is a beautiful IEM (not a fake either). So much detail in the treble yet not fatiguing either.

Would it be considered a downgrade to get a 600 as well or more of a sidegrade?

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #4,178 of 4,848
I just picked up a refurb 900 on eBay for a little less than IE600 new, holy moly this is a beautiful IEM (not a fake either). So much detail in the treble yet not fatiguing either.

Would it be considered a downgrade to get a 600 as well or more of a sidegrade?
For me, IE900 has better bass, more details and a safer sound, so it is an upgrade.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #4,179 of 4,848
A while ago I gave my ie800 to my brother and had a listen to them again recently and wondered how the ie 900s sound in comparison.
I really like the ie 800 and I am in the market for a new set of items to partner my meze advars my source is the ifi gryphon and qoubuz.
If the 900s sound like but better than the 800 then they are for me.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #4,180 of 4,848
Anyone running their IE900 with Mojo 2? Care to share the EQ settings you use?

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #4,183 of 4,848
Great pairing. Doesn't need EQ, IMO.
Seconded, it's my work combo. Due to the durability of metal shells as well.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #4,184 of 4,848
Anyone running their IE900 with Mojo 2? Care to share the EQ settings you use?
I don't use any EQ. I think IE900 sounds great out of the Mojo 2 as is.
Sometimes I use moderate crossfeed (green light) for classical music for a wider soundstage and more airy feel.

Apr 21, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #4,185 of 4,848
Hi everyone, I have been away from iems for a very long time. I think 2008ish. To my surprise the landscape has totally changed.
Back in the day ma favourite iem was the ie8. Loved the soundstage and the fact that it has bass unlike a lot of balanced drivers. Surprised and shocked at the prices for high end iems though. Probbably want to buy the ie900 in june or july to combine with the ru6 by cayin. Anyone tried this combo?
I must say its difficult to make a goo dlongterm choice with the over saturated and ever changing market but I think i will really like the ie900 sound. A bit concerned about fit though.
Would like to tip roll a bit to make sure i get the best possible sound and fit can nayone tell me where you can buy the spiral dots or spin fits online as a eu citizen?
I personally never really liked comply/foam tips.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back