Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Apr 28, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #4,187 of 4,849
Hi everyone, I have been away from iems for a very long time. I think 2008ish. To my surprise the landscape has totally changed.
Back in the day ma favourite iem was the ie8. Loved the soundstage and the fact that it has bass unlike a lot of balanced drivers. Surprised and shocked at the prices for high end iems though. Probbably want to buy the ie900 in june or july to combine with the ru6 by cayin. Anyone tried this combo?
I must say its difficult to make a goo dlongterm choice with the over saturated and ever changing market but I think i will really like the ie900 sound. A bit concerned about fit though.
Would like to tip roll a bit to make sure i get the best possible sound and fit can nayone tell me where you can buy the spiral dots or spin fits online as a eu citizen?
I personally never really liked comply/foam tips.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,
I use my ie900 with the N6ii + R01 quite a bit, sounds good to me but I don't think I've ever plugged the ie900 into any source and not liked it. As long as its a decent source, as the RU6 is you will be fine.

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #4,188 of 4,849
I got a Valentinum Case on Etsy to protect my favorite IEMs of all time - the Sennheiser IE900s. Valentinum is a leather crafter from Ukraine who makes brilliant leather cases for things like the Chord Mojo 2 and the Cayin N6ii. I wanted a small leather case to protect my IE900s with a magnetic closure instead of a zipper like the current case. I contacted him and I finally got 'em.

Highest possible recommendation! I don't think I'll ever switch from the IE900, but this will always be my IEM case.

IMG_0334.jpegIMG_0333.jpegIMG_0332.jpegIMG_0331.jpeg
Do you have a link to this you can share?

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #4,189 of 4,849
Hi everyone, I have been away from iems for a very long time. I think 2008ish. To my surprise the landscape has totally changed.
Back in the day ma favourite iem was the ie8. Loved the soundstage and the fact that it has bass unlike a lot of balanced drivers. Surprised and shocked at the prices for high end iems though. Probbably want to buy the ie900 in june or july to combine with the ru6 by cayin. Anyone tried this combo?
I must say its difficult to make a goo dlongterm choice with the over saturated and ever changing market but I think i will really like the ie900 sound. A bit concerned about fit though.
Would like to tip roll a bit to make sure i get the best possible sound and fit can nayone tell me where you can buy the spiral dots or spin fits online as a eu citizen?
I personally never really liked comply/foam tips.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,
I used to get it from Amazon.
Personally I have struggled with tons of IEM to get a great fit.
So much so that I use headphones now more than I do IEM but IE900 was one of the more comfortable ones I ever had the pleasure of using.
Even with stock tips I found them excellent but I have to put them in my ear in one very specific order of moves, motions cause else the tips compress and do not form the seal that I need.
If I insert them that “right way”, they are probably the most comfortable tips and iem I ever used.

May 1, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4,190 of 4,849
I used to get it from Amazon.
Personally I have struggled with tons of IEM to get a great fit.
So much so that I use headphones now more than I do IEM but IE900 was one of the more comfortable ones I ever had the pleasure of using.
Even with stock tips I found them excellent but I have to put them in my ear in one very specific order of moves, motions cause else the tips compress and do not form the seal that I need.
If I insert them that “right way”, they are probably the most comfortable tips and iem I ever used.
Agree totally that the IE900 are one of the if not THE most comfy UIEM i've tried. These are still a VERY capable all-rounder IEMs. If i'm just listening to random playlists, they are my go-to. My Acoustunes will change chambers for the different genres I listen to for more precise match ups. But sometimes i just want to lay back and just enjoy recommendations, and the IE900 come back on.

May 1, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #4,191 of 4,849
Just about to get me a pair to use with my RME ADI-2 FS, Mojo 2 and Fiio M11 Plus ESS. Can't wait ... Just hoping the tips fit well..

May 4, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #4,192 of 4,849
Just about to get me a pair to use with my RME ADI-2 FS, Mojo 2 and Fiio M11 Plus ESS. Can't wait ... Just hoping the tips fit well..
Getting a good deep insertion is essential. Else you are getting sub-par performance - which i suspect is the case with many of those who didn't find the IE900 performing as well as other similarly priced or cheaper alternatives.

May 4, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #4,194 of 4,849
If you have problem with fit like me, try foams. From fabric tips set I found only foams to fit well.
You mentioned foams the Marmite of the IEM world. Lots of people won't use them on here and look down on the people that use them the "foamies" as they call them because "they change the sound".

I honestly think one or two forum members started saying they change the sound and now everyone on here repeats the myth. I say if you are happy with the sound balance and the fit then use foams.

From a fellow sometimes "foamie" :)

May 4, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #4,195 of 4,849
You mentioned foams the Marmite of the IEM world. Lots of people won't use them on here and look down on the people that use them the "foamies" as they call them because "they change the sound".

I honestly think one or two forum members started saying they change the sound and now everyone on here repeats the myth. I say if you are happy with the sound balance and the fit then use foams.

From a fellow sometimes "foamie" :)
I'm not convinced they change the sound. They block out outside noise which is essential. I always use foam rather than silicon.

May 4, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #4,196 of 4,849
I saw that Sennheiser are looking at creating custom tips for the ie line. That's interesting to see a major company offering that service.

May 4, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #4,197 of 4,849
I'm not convinced they change the sound. They block out outside noise which is essential. I always use foam rather than silicon.
In my experience, foams change the sound considerably on the ie900s (and all the other IEMs that I've used) - they tend to add to the bass end and limit the treble/resolution. that may well suit some, which is fine. As you say, foams are better if you need/prefer extra sound isolation. I used foams for years, but when I tried silicone and noticed what I'd been missing I couldn't go back. With the ie900 I find that JVC spiral dots and Sony EP EX-11s give the best fit/sound, with the spiral dots edging it. That said, all ears are unique and YMMV.

May 4, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #4,198 of 4,849
I saw that Sennheiser are looking at creating custom tips for the ie line. That's interesting to see a major company offering that service.
It's as interesting as it's sort of required to engage the pro market more. Pro artists don't have the time to lurk on headfi in search of a tip that will provide a secure fit during performance, and customs provide exactly that. And since Sennheiser is an OG in the pro market, they should have made the move to customs eons ago, really

May 4, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #4,199 of 4,849
It's as interesting as it's sort of required to engage the pro market more. Pro artists don't have the time to lurk on headfi in search of a tip that will provide a secure fit during performance, and customs provide exactly that. And since Sennheiser is an OG in the pro market, they should have made the move to customs eons ago, really
Agreed

May 4, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,200 of 4,849
I am happy with my Azla SednaEarfit Max on my IE900.

Thank you for the info!

Edit: More info on Sennheiser website

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back