Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,596 of 7,699
Quote:
I got mine cable from Seller Zeroshoe on ebay (Silver Galaxy Cable). He is a great seller and very helpful. You can haggle him down on the price a bit to save some money.

Do you know whether Silver Galaxy cable is made of OCC silver? From the photos at ebay and the description (4X 4N silver wire), there are 4 silver wires braided and placed inside a clear teflon insulation. Is that right?

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2,597 of 7,699
Any metal heads here? I ask because i have a few rock songs in my collection, like a couple that i listen to. For some reason rock songs dont seem to sound as brilliant as others do with these headphones. Soundstage seems to be smaller and instruments seem to be congested. I have this with some of my Linkin Park and Pendulum songs.

Now is this the fault (or feature) of the IE80 or are rocks songs like this in general?

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,598 of 7,699
They are not the best phones for rock/metal. I've got lot of songs in my discography and IE8 makes superb quality only with CD-players.
Another genres sounds good on different players, metal/rock only on a powerful, little bright, aggressive sources.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,599 of 7,699
Quote:
They are not the best phones for rock/metal. I've got lot of songs in my discography and IE8 makes superb quality only with CD-players.
Another genres sounds good on different players, metal/rock only on a powerful, little bright, aggressive sources.

I find the IE80s to excel at rock IMO especially after the silver cable upgrade. It has a euphoric sound with rock and the sound stage really brings the recordings to life.

You can contact zeroshoe regarding the cable but he told me that it is silver cable and not silver plated copper.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2,600 of 7,699
Quote:
Any metal heads here? I ask because i have a few rock songs in my collection, like a couple that i listen to. For some reason rock songs dont seem to sound as brilliant as others do with these headphones. Soundstage seems to be smaller and instruments seem to be congested. I have this with some of my Linkin Park and Pendulum songs.

Now is this the fault (or feature) of the IE80 or are rocks songs like this in general?

I love my silver cabled IE80s with my metal music.  Nice and aggressive, with an excellent soundstage.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #2,602 of 7,699
I used to own IE8 a couple years ago, but then I accidentally steppd on it and broke it :/
Since then I've been using my westone 3 but lately I've been thinking about getting IE80
Anyone that owns all of these can give a comparision? I really miss my IE8's bass but the westone 3 is just so comfy. 
And where should I get it in the US (online)?

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,604 of 7,699
Contact Razordogg from ebay. Pay him via paypal to bypass ebay to save him and you money. Tell him your lee730 from headfi sent you. He'll give you a good deal.

The IE80 is an overall improvement IMO over the IE8. The IE8 mid bass was just too much for my tastes, overpowering the mid range and treble. I don't use EQ on my IE80s either which is amazing as I don't like stressing out over EQ settings.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,605 of 7,699
I have decided to get the Silver Galaxy cable and send a message to zeroshoe asking him for a special price. However, he has not reply yet.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,606 of 7,699
You can make an offer and he can accept or decline it. I think I got him down $5.00 on the price. You may be able to get this down a bit more. For my Silver LOD I got him down $10.00.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2,607 of 7,699
Quote:
You can make an offer and he can accept or decline it. I think I got him down $5.00 on the price. You may be able to get this down a bit more. For my Silver LOD I got him down $10.00.

Submitted an offer, the offer has been accepted and payment made. The painful wait begins...

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,608 of 7,699
I heard that the build quality of the silver galaxy cable is pretty poor.

However i managed to find another aftermarket cable provider, Toxic Cables. It's run by a single man who hand makes all his orders. He receives so much praise for how well built his cables are, not to mention the great sound improvements. Currently he doesnt have the IE80 cable on offer but if he receives enough requests then he might start making it. If you look at page 8 of the thread you can see that he's already making a Shure iem compatible cable which looks fantastic.

I suggest you guys read his official thread. Excellent thread and excellent service he provides.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,609 of 7,699
Quote:
I heard that the build quality of the silver galaxy cable is pretty poor.

Really?  What's wrong with the build quality of the (Song's) Silver Galaxy cables? I have the Universe Silver Cable and it seems built quite well, and it sounds very nice, too.

I have owned mine for over a year now with no issues AND it has the correct Sennheiser style connectors so no patience is required.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,610 of 7,699
In reply to those who think that the Schitt Lyr and IE8 or IE80 has anything special, well forget it, there is no obvious benefits, in fact there is an obvious noise floor even with the volume down at minimum, the noise is also carried on to when they are scaled up, so you have noise under the music. Truly detrimental.

Tried the IE80 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back