Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2,611 of 7,699
Quote:
I heard that the build quality of the silver galaxy cable is pretty poor.

However i managed to find another aftermarket cable provider, Toxic Cables. It's run by a single man who hand makes all his orders. He receives so much praise for how well built his cables are, not to mention the great sound improvements. Currently he doesnt have the IE80 cable on offer but if he receives enough requests then he might start making it. If you look at page 8 of the thread you can see that he's already making a Shure iem compatible cable which looks fantastic.

I suggest you guys read his official thread. Excellent thread and excellent service he provides.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread

i think he already taking order for the ie8/ie80 cable

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,612 of 7,699
Hi

Does anyone know the least amount these IE80s are going for.. on ebay I have seen a few of them  going for 230-250 dollars and some sellers even in the Uk.. isnt it wise to save 200 dollars and get it from a source like that who claims they are genuine..

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,613 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi

Does anyone know the least amount these IE80s are going for.. on ebay I have seen a few of them  going for 230-250 dollars and some sellers even in the Uk.. isnt it wise to save 200 dollars and get it from a source like that who claims they are genuine..

get the IE8, rip them apart, sent them in for a warranty replacement and recieve a ie80 back 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,614 of 7,699
Wanted to replace my Westone 3's with a pair of IE80's and found a them online for $120.  What I didn't notice is they were being shipped from China and just found this thread after finding the sound questionable... I must have fakes, the highs are harsh and the bass boomy and undetailed.  The box is a perfect fake, magnetic seal, embossed lettering, but the serial starts with 0321004 PK_1.3_04042011.

Bought them with paypal so I guess I'll be starting a dispute request....

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2,615 of 7,699
Quote:
Wanted to replace my Westone 3's with a pair of IE80's and found a them online for $120.  What I didn't notice is they were being shipped from China and just found this thread after finding the sound questionable... I must have fakes, the highs are harsh and the bass boomy and undetailed.  The box is a perfect fake, magnetic seal, embossed lettering, but the serial starts with 0321004 PK_1.3_04042011.

Bought them with paypal so I guess I'll be starting a dispute request....

They are obviously fakes I assume, doesnt it ring a bell.. china with 110 dollar price tag and most of all appearence and sound quality.. What I am concerned is the ones sold on ebay for 200 or odd dollars.. is it fakes or just factory rejects or just a overstock of someone...

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,616 of 7,699
Quote:
get the IE8, rip them apart, sent them in for a warranty replacement and recieve a ie80 back 

Catch-a-Clue dude:

Sennheiser does NOT replace IE-8's with IE-80's. You get IE-8's if you send in your IE-8's under warranty. Also the warranty repairs/exchanges are done by a sub-contractor for Sennheiser, not the factory directly.

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #2,617 of 7,699
Quote:
Catch-a-Clue dude:

Sennheiser does NOT replace IE-8's with IE-80's. You get IE-8's if you send in your IE-8's under warranty. Also the warranty repairs/exchanges are done by a sub-contractor for Sennheiser, not the factory directly.

Burtomr I've heard that Sennheiser replaces the IE8s with IE80s. But regardless the person shouldn't recommend purposely damaging the item to get an upgrade as that will void the warranty.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,622 of 7,699
Quote:
If he said he scammed them I must've missed it. His pair of IE8's could've been legitimately broken for all we know ...

"get the IE8, rip them apart, sent them in for a warranty replacement and recieve a ie80 back"

It says pretty clear, maybe you should re-read his post.

Get ie8.
Rip them apart.
Send them to Sennheiser.
Get Ie80.
Profit.

In his post, he clearly stated, rip them apart on purpose so you can warranty it to get IE80. That's just low, real low.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,623 of 7,699
sjondenon,

Well my recent experience of sending in my IE-8's under warranty (because of a channel balance issue) resulted in a brand new pair of IE-8's being sent back to me.

How you managed to get IE-80's when you sent in IE-8's is very unusual to say the least. The Sennheiser warranty service agency has a large stock of replacement IE-8's for all those "defective" IE-8 warranty returns they may encounter so I really doubt anyone can get IE-80's in exchange for IE-8's.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2,624 of 7,699
Not sure if any of you guys have heard of cPlay but its an amazing Audio Player. It has solved the volume issues I once had with my O2 reference amp with my IE80s. The detailing is amazing on the O2 amp. A very good pairing with the DACport LX. The imaging and sound staging is uncanny. It's just so easy to place things. I really didn't think the IE80s could be this detailed but they sure are. If I was to make a comparison sound stage wise the presentation is really reminding me of the EX1000s hallway type sound stage. But I'm getting and even wider sound stage, headphone like at its best :).

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #2,625 of 7,699
Quote:
sjondenon,

Well my recent experience of sending in my IE-8's under warranty (because of a channel balance issue) resulted in a brand new pair of IE-8's being sent back to me.

How you managed to get IE-80's when you sent in IE-8's is very unusual to say the least. The Sennheiser warranty service agency has a large stock of replacement IE-8's for all those "defective" IE-8 warranty returns they may encounter so I really doubt anyone can get IE-80's in exchange for IE-8's.

The Dutch Sennheiser Service point sent me the IE-80 back...  And NO I didn't rip them apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back