Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #2,581 of 7,699
Quote:

Hmm you consider the mid range to be recessed? I consider my IE80s to be a bit mid centric TBH. The silver cable has also improved all 3 frequencies while improving the sound staging as well.

Which brand of silver cable are you refering to? Where can I get it?

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,582 of 7,699
Quote:

Hmm you consider the mid range to be recessed? I consider my IE80s to be a bit mid centric TBH. The silver cable has also improved all 3 frequencies while improving the sound staging as well.

Couldn't agree with you more about the silver cable. I am currently using Toxic Cables Cryo OCC Silver Plated Copper cable with my HD650. It further brought out the beautiful and lushness mid and treble in HD650. The silver cable should make IE80 shine further if it has the same affect as the Toxic Cables.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,583 of 7,699
Quote:

Found below cables on previous posting. I also found out that Moon Audio also have silver cable for iem but ie80 is not listed as one of the terminations. Too bad.

Silver Galaxy Cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Upgrade-Cable-for-SENNHEISER-IE8-Galaxy-silver-/120916313726?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c272c867e

Silver sonic MKIII - Beat Audio Earphone Cable
http://www.custom-iem.com/silver-sonic-mkiii-beat-audio-earphone-cable-p-664.html?zenid=1e226cd80503adae66dfb3b2b48a86d7

Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 IEM Cable (no termination for IE80)
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-iem-cable.html

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,584 of 7,699
Quote:
Wow that is an amazing deal! I might place an order tonight. Any reason it's so cheap? Is it a sale or just regular price?

The fact that I can't speak German makes it a bit tough though...

Cheers,

Got my pair today. less than 5 business days I'm impressed! They shipped out on last Wednesday. Arrived in Sydney on last friday. Delievered to my work today.

It's their normal price. Sennheiser being a german brand it has always been cheaper in Germany/Sweden etc. I used google translator just copied the whople page into the translation box.

Burning in now. Couldn't help having it on for one song. Clearer than IE8 in memory but a bit too airy. Mid-Bass stronger than EX1000. I'll wait for a week till I try it on again :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #2,585 of 7,699
Quote:

I got mine cable from Seller Zeroshoe on ebay (Silver Galaxy Cable). He is a great seller and very helpful. You can haggle him down on the price a bit to save some money.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #2,586 of 7,699
I just got my iPod classic back with a new battery and installed Rockbox on it.  I can't believe that I thought my Zune sounded good with the IE80s!  I am seriously in awe of the sound quality being put out by this iPod and my E11, my IE80s, and the silver cable!

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2,587 of 7,699
I just got my iPod classic back with a new battery and installed Rockbox on it.  I can't believe that I thought my Zune sounded good with the IE80s!  I am seriously in awe of the sound quality being put out by this iPod and my E11, my IE80s, and the silver cable!

The classic 5.5 receives so much praise, I should really find one.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #2,589 of 7,699
Quote:
You guys think it ends there :wink:. The Rocoo BA and Studio V will blow your mind.

totally agree. the studio v is really good with the ie80
etysmile.gif
. my other music player have been collecting dust since the studio v arrives.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2,593 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi Guys I'm back! Been having my IE8 for couple of years and cooled down a bit (very satisfied with what I got). But couple of weeks ago I lost my walkman (NWZ-A866) together with my beloved IE8 when I was out. So sad.

Anyway, I got my walkman replacement on the way anyway (NWZ-Z1060). And thought I'd settle with my EX1000 with it. I have had EX1000 for over a year too. Loved it loved it loved it. But when I got the Z1060 in hand, I realized the problem: Z1060 is way too big for me to take it out with me(not comfortable), together with EX1000 it's too fragile just to stuff them into my pocket. Which is the reason why I always used IE8 when I was out.

I'm sure so many have already shared the opinions on IE8 vs EX1000 (I also have a pair of TF10). But when I'm out I definitely only use IE8 for the easy to wear. I don't wrap them over the ear, just put on as normal earbuds. And when I jog (I run 10k a week), that's when I wrap it back and with the line spitter behand my neck. Very tight secure and yet very comfy without microphone effect. Can't imagine doing this with EX1000 (too fragile) or TF10 (just not as comfy).

Anyway, so I decided to look for another pair of IE8, that's when I found out about IE80 (and unfortunately, IE800...).

Back to the topic, I have tried quite hard to find the best price for this. Most US shops selling it for US$450 now. A bit discount here and there and the cheapest I heard is around $350. Australia (where I live) cheapest is AU$450. Others all $599 (ridiculous). So I tried hard to find a European shop to sell it online.

Luckily, Amazon.de has it for 233 Euros. What's more, if you are shopping outside Europe, they deduct the VAT and make it down to 190 something Euro (plus shiping). So for all other newcomers that are looking for one, don't look anywhere else :)

Remember to shop from Amazon.de, not any third party shops. They are more expensive (270+) and won't deduct the VAT when shopping internationally.

I ordered mine when Amazon.de was out of stock couple of weeks ago. Still ordered and waited. They are just back in stock and mine will be delievered here end of this weekend :)

I love you for telling us about this!  I just ordered to the US with a total cost of $302.62.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,594 of 7,699
Quote:
The classic 5.5 receives so much praise, I should really find one.

Mine's not a classic 5.5, I have a 7th generation.  Kind of a pain in the ass to Rockbox it, but it was worth it!

I like the foam tips that came with the IE80s, but the small ones don't stay in my ears and the large ones pop out after a little while.  I'm starting to think I need medium size tips, but Sennheiser doesn't seem to make them in a medium size.  The funny thing is, the large size single and double flange silicone tips work perfectly for me.  The stock foam tips seal pretty deeply when they do stay in my  ears, and I like the improved isolation.  I've tried Comply foam tips and those sound muffled to my ears, which is why I like the Sennheiser tips. 

How are the Shure Olives?  Anyone tried them on an IE80?

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #2,595 of 7,699
Quote:

Found below cables on previous posting. I also found out that Moon Audio also have silver cable for iem but ie80 is not listed as one of the terminations. Too bad.

Silver Galaxy Cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Upgrade-Cable-for-SENNHEISER-IE8-Galaxy-silver-/120916313726?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c272c867e

Silver sonic MKIII - Beat Audio Earphone Cable
http://www.custom-iem.com/silver-sonic-mkiii-beat-audio-earphone-cable-p-664.html?zenid=1e226cd80503adae66dfb3b2b48a86d7

Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 IEM Cable (no termination for IE80)
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-iem-cable.html

Silver Galaxy Cable and Silver Sonic MKIII do not mentioned anything whether their cable is Cryo treated or OCC Silver. As for Moon Audio, the Silver Dragon IEM is a coaxial design using a 99.99998% UP-OCC Stranded Silver and 99.99998% UP-OCC silver plated single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper stranded gauge conductor with 7N purity 99.99998%.They told me that they are currently working on a mold (not sure what they mean by that) and the Silver cable will be available for IE80 this summer. Well... summer is a long way to go, not sure whether I can wait that long. Also not sure about the coaxial design, I personally prefer braided or twisting design but it might not matter. Toxic Cables also makes occ silver cables (as well as copper, silver plated copper) for IE80. I know Toxic Cables occ silver cables is good cable because I am currently using Toxic Cables occ silver plated copper for HD650. However, the price for the occ silver cable is way out of my budget. Price wise the Silver Galaxy cable is the cheapest among all. Silver Sonic MKIII and Moon Audio Silver Dragon is about the same price. For now, I am leaning toward Silver Galaxy cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back