Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #2,641 of 7,699
Unfortunately I do hear a hiss with the cowon s9 as well. Not pronounced like with other devices I have used...but in a quiet room it is easy to hear while in soft sections or with no audio playing.

Edit: forgot to mention that every Android device I have used hisses worse.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #2,643 of 7,699
Quote:
hi everyone

I won a auction for IE80 on ebay for 250 dollars.. froma UK seller the seller claims its genuine still a bit skeptical.. any input..

thanks

could be, only way you'll find out is when you get them. But the down side is even if they are genuine, you wont be covered by senns warranty. Should always do a google search, as am sure you can get them for that price from authorised dealers.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006EK9J9S/ref=asc_df_B006EK9J9S8375631?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B006EK9J9S&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=31302583557772097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,646 of 7,699
Quote:
Unfortunately I do hear a hiss with the cowon s9 as well. Not pronounced like with other devices I have used...but in a quiet room it is easy to hear while in soft sections or with no audio playing.
Edit: forgot to mention that every Android device I have used hisses worse.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not too sure about ie80.
But my ie8 has no hiss coming from my cowon J3 nor Z2

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,647 of 7,699
Greetings from Jamaica.

I had a chance to audition the IE80 (along with a few others) in a quiet airport store. 

I really don't mean to make this sound like a snuff job, but I quite frankly wasn't impressed by it. The first thing I noticed was the thick mid-bass veil over the sound. The IEMs weren't even that bassy, but it still managed to cover up everything in the lower mids. The other thing I noticed was a lack of refinement in comparison to everything else I listened to. The W4, ASG-1, and HF3 (awesome little thing, btw) all sounded a tier or two above it in SQ. I had to double check that I was using the IE80, and not the IE8. The sales clerk must have seen the look on my face, because he walked over and turned up the bass dial to the max. I was expecting the bass to rattle my brain out, but there was (at max) a 2-3db increase in the bass.

To be honest, I think I prefer the older IE8 to the IE80. Maybe the IE8 I had was fully burned in, if you believe in such a thing. I also find the GR07 to be a better IEM than the IE80, FWIW.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,648 of 7,699
Well you could be right on the IE80 not being ran in properly. Sources also play a big roll and synergy can make or break it. I think the best bang-for-your buck portable pairing would be with the Rocoo BA. While you found the IE80 to be veiled I actually find my pair to be mid centric with well controlled bass. Moreso on the sub bass than mid bass. The notes are definitely thicker FWIW and I much preferred that to the very thin and sibilant sounding EX1000. I'm actually at a loss regarding my  FX700s. While they do sound nice the Mids are whats destroying it for me when compared to the IE80.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,649 of 7,699
I used it with the iP4, which is considered fairly bright. Maybe that silver cable you're using has something to do with the improved sound.

As for note thickness, the ASG-1 is thick. What I heard on the IE80 was a tangible veil over the lower and mid spectrum.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,651 of 7,699
The IE8 has more mid bass. It is so bad that it destroys the mid range and veils the treble. Without EQ the IE8 is a joke. Using the IE80 I don't find the need to use EQ at all. I get the sound signature that I want and had been looking for. The IE80 mid range is more upfront and detailed. The bass emphasis is on sub bass while the IE8 is on mid bass. The sound stage is a little smaller on the IE80 but you get more intimacy (which I like). Overall the IE80 has more detail and is the winner IMO.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,652 of 7,699
Quote:
I used it with the iP4, which is considered fairly bright. Maybe that silver cable you're using has something to do with the improved sound.

As for note thickness, the ASG-1 is thick. What I heard on the IE80 was a tangible veil over the lower and mid spectrum.

The silver cable definitely does help. But when I didn't have the cable I still found the IE80 to be a big enough improvement over the IE8 to warrant the upgrade. It got ride of the flaws the IE8 had for me. I still found the IE80 to pair quite nicely with the iphone4 though but nothing special when compared to using it with the  Rocoo BA or  Studio V. The issue with the Studio V though is the hiss. If you think the iphone4 is bright lol, the Studio V and Rocoo Ba are noticeably brighter and I feel more neutral to the ipod. IMO the  ipods tend to accentuate the bass region (mid bass). My favorite characteristic about the BA and Studio V is the amazing sound stage and instrument placement. It's so 3D like yet the Vocals are very upfront. So you get a large presentation with intimate vocals. It's like an oxymoron :wink:.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2,653 of 7,699
Quote:
The IE8 has more mid bass. It is so bad that it destroys the mid range and veils the treble. Without EQ the IE8 is a joke. Using the IE80 I don't find the need to use EQ at all. I get the sound signature that I want and had been looking for. The IE80 mid range is more upfront and detailed. The bass emphasis is on sub bass while the IE8 is on mid bass. The sound stage is a little smaller on the IE80 but you get more intimacy (which I like). Overall the IE80 has more detail and is the winner IMO.

Thanks a lot, I love the huge sound stage for IE8. So, how much smaller for the IE80?

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2,654 of 7,699
It's not a huge difference but a noticeable one. Lets put it this way, the IE8 sound stage was just a tad bit too big for my liking as it was too disconnected and far away . I was always urged to pump up the volume more than I should to bring the mid range closer. The IE80 brings it into my comfort zone where its not too far away and not too close (or invading). Keep in mind these IEMs really do have potential and finding the right source to pair it with will show you its true potential. The IE8s are surely the more finicky IEM to find a good pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back