Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2,566 of 7,699
Quote:
Gee you audiophiles seem to complicate things. Why don't just plug the phones directly into the daps and call it a day?
wink_face.gif

Because some of us want better than that. 
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #2,568 of 7,699
Quote:

I did play it from Fiio E17 at first. Later, I plugged the IE80 to Lyr later because my HD650 sounded best from Bifrost + Lyr. Bifrost + Lyr is significantly better amplification system than E17. I just wonder how will the IE80 perform if it was given a better amplication system than E17. I guess it was too early for IE80 cause it hasn't properly burn in yet. 

If you give it a better amplifier (with low impedance and synergy) the IE80 can shine even more. My IE80s with the silver cable powered through my  UHA4 and DACport LX sounds amazing. Also paired with my Rocoo BA and Studio V the IE80 really shines.

May 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2,569 of 7,699
Quote:
Because some of us want better than that. 
wink_face.gif

Yeah that's the cause of the hifi disease and mine has been cured with the age old pod. I am now sober and want to keep that way. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
it din't, not to worry, am no audiophile! And please hurry up and get the silver cable before you leave, want to read your opinions on it! :)

I am afraid if I get the S cable I won't be able to leave, and I may end up with wanting a X cable after that. So better run right now before its too late.
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,570 of 7,699
Quote:

Yeah that's the cause of the hifi disease and mine has been cured with the age old pod. I am now sober and want to keep that way. 
wink_face.gif

I am afraid if I get the S cable I won't be able to leave, and I may end up with wanting a X cable after that. So better run right now before its too late.
wink_face.gif

In all seriousness, I'm happy for you that you've found your poison. I don't wish to sound as if I wanted you out of here, but be gone now. Be gone, before your wallet takes another big hit. 
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #2,571 of 7,699
Quote:
In all seriousness, I'm happy for you that you've found your poison. I don't wish to sound as if I wanted you out of here, but be gone now. Be gone, before your wallet takes another big hit. 
wink_face.gif

Hehe, escape before the IE800 bug hits the head-fi. It's always been the music that poisons me, even when I was using the earbuds.

May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,573 of 7,699
Hi Guys I'm back! Been having my IE8 for couple of years and cooled down a bit (very satisfied with what I got). But couple of weeks ago I lost my walkman (NWZ-A866) together with my beloved IE8 when I was out. So sad.

Anyway, I got my walkman replacement on the way anyway (NWZ-Z1060). And thought I'd settle with my EX1000 with it. I have had EX1000 for over a year too. Loved it loved it loved it. But when I got the Z1060 in hand, I realized the problem: Z1060 is way too big for me to take it out with me(not comfortable), together with EX1000 it's too fragile just to stuff them into my pocket. Which is the reason why I always used IE8 when I was out.

I'm sure so many have already shared the opinions on IE8 vs EX1000 (I also have a pair of TF10). But when I'm out I definitely only use IE8 for the easy to wear. I don't wrap them over the ear, just put on as normal earbuds. And when I jog (I run 10k a week), that's when I wrap it back and with the line spitter behand my neck. Very tight secure and yet very comfy without microphone effect. Can't imagine doing this with EX1000 (too fragile) or TF10 (just not as comfy).

Anyway, so I decided to look for another pair of IE8, that's when I found out about IE80 (and unfortunately, IE800...).

Back to the topic, I have tried quite hard to find the best price for this. Most US shops selling it for US$450 now. A bit discount here and there and the cheapest I heard is around $350. Australia (where I live) cheapest is AU$450. Others all $599 (ridiculous). So I tried hard to find a European shop to sell it online.

Luckily, Amazon.de has it for 233 Euros. What's more, if you are shopping outside Europe, they deduct the VAT and make it down to 190 something Euro (plus shiping). So for all other newcomers that are looking for one, don't look anywhere else :)

Remember to shop from Amazon.de, not any third party shops. They are more expensive (270+) and won't deduct the VAT when shopping internationally.

I ordered mine when Amazon.de was out of stock couple of weeks ago. Still ordered and waited. They are just back in stock and mine will be delievered here end of this weekend :)

May 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #2,574 of 7,699
[size=medium]After burn in IE80 for more than 70 hours, the bass is now punchy and solid and the boomy bass is almost gone. Compare to HD650, the bass for IE80 is definitely much stronger. Slightly too much bass for my taste though. I can hear separation of bass and mid clearly now. Mid and treble sounded more natural. Sound quality wise, it sounds closer to HD650 now with the exception of having more bass and slightly recess mid. Some headfiers said HD650 require at least 650 hours to properly burn in. Probably IE80 required at least 80 hours to properly burn in. I wonder whether the sound quality of IE80 will improve further with more burn in time like 200 hours. The sound improvement of IE80 is definitely not mental adjustment because I compared the IE80 with my HD650 which already burn in more than 600 hours.  I tested both IE80 and HD650 using the Fiio E17. [/size]

[size=medium]Laptop (flac) ->  USB cable -> Fiio E17 -> IE80/HD650[/size]

[size=11pt]As for the slightly recess mid and strong bass, will the custom silver cable bring out the mid and make the mid shine and also tame down the strong bass?[/size]

May 29, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #2,575 of 7,699
Quote:
[size=medium]After burn in IE80 for more than 70 hours, the bass is now punchy and solid and the boomy bass is almost gone. Compare to HD650, the bass for IE80 is definitely much stronger. Slightly too much bass for my taste though. I can hear separation of bass and mid clearly now. Mid and treble sounded more natural. Sound quality wise, it sounds closer to HD650 now with the exception of having more bass and slightly recess mid. Some headfiers said HD650 require at least 650 hours to properly burn in. Probably IE80 required at least 80 hours to properly burn in. I wonder whether the sound quality of IE80 will improve further with more burn in time like 200 hours. The sound improvement of IE80 is definitely not mental adjustment because I compared the IE80 with my HD650 which already burn in more than 600 hours.  I tested both IE80 and HD650 using the Fiio E17. [/size]

[size=medium]Laptop (flac) ->  USB cable -> Fiio E17 -> IE80/HD650[/size]

[size=11pt]As for the slightly recess mid and strong bass, will the custom silver cable bring out the mid and make the mid shine and also tame down the strong bass?[/size]

Hmm you consider the mid range to be recessed? I consider my IE80s to be a bit mid centric TBH. The silver cable has also improved all 3 frequencies while improving the sound staging as well.

May 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,576 of 7,699
Late to the party. The super.fi tips have been mentioned a lot. Where you can buy them?

Cheers

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #2,578 of 7,699
ya.... taobao is the china version of ebay.

the IE80 has different prices too.

a-grade replica is selling for around 100usd. they claimed the cable, housing and the unit are from the factory.

the b-grade replica is around 30usd. they admit these are replicas only.

go to taobao and have a look! it is quite amazing! you can buy fake atomic floyd, fake shure, fake monster, fake beats... 

there is also another branch of taobao, called t-mall. alibaba plans to list t-mall in NYSE, that's why t-mall only sells authentic stuff. (and all the IE80 on tmall is 400usd+).

have fun!

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2,579 of 7,699
Quote:

Luckily, Amazon.de has it for 233 Euros. What's more, if you are shopping outside Europe, they deduct the VAT and make it down to 190 something Euro (plus shiping). So for all other newcomers that are looking for one, don't look anywhere else :)

Remember to shop from Amazon.de, not any third party shops. They are more expensive (270+) and won't deduct the VAT when shopping internationally.

I ordered mine when Amazon.de was out of stock couple of weeks ago. Still ordered and waited. They are just back in stock and mine will be delievered here end of this weekend :)

Wow that is an amazing deal! I might place an order tonight. Any reason it's so cheap? Is it a sale or just regular price?

The fact that I can't speak German makes it a bit tough though...

Cheers,

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #2,580 of 7,699
good deal, comes out to almost 300 us (287 using current exchange rate, or 300 from amazon) shipped.

the shipping price is the same as the vat. 30 euro. and almost 10 euro for import fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back