Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #7,891 of 8,119
Hmm.... I liked what I heard pretty much everywhere except the bass, so I'll give this a go! I had originally covered up the entire face (or nearly so) of the IE8 with a single layer of basic scotch tape. I'll give the two-layers-and-a-pinhole mod a try. Thanks for the tip, bro!!

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #7,893 of 8,119
Hmm, but the IE8/80 aren't closed, since their bass screw works as an adjustable vent. So wouldn't removing the bass screw do pretty much the same as punching holes into the housing?

That's what I thought initially as well. However even with these holes the bass is still responding to the bass knob and tape mod. I also didn't want to completely destroy the IE8 by removing the bass screw as it is attached to the driver. I think the bass screw only allows air towards the tube between it and the driver which i guess only regulates the bass notes.

Anyhow, I dont think anyone should follow the mod without giving it much thought as it is quite an expensive toy to drill; also removes the resellability. But for me, it is quite worthit and do not intend to buy any more gear for now.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #7,894 of 8,119
Quote:
Or get rid of the IE8's and buy something less flawed. Worked for me!:japanese_ogre:

I've got DBA-02 MkII on the way, so we'll see. I feel like there is some pretty world-class sound in these babies, and the more I play with them the more glimpses of it I get. Eventually, if I'm not able to get out of them what I want, they'll move down the list of formerly owned gear. But at the moment, I don't see that as necessary. Time will tell :wink:

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #7,895 of 8,119
I was being a bit arsey. I do think though that once I heard what a better designed IEM is capable of I realised how limited the IE8 is.
Good luck with the DBA's. I will be very interested to hear what you think to them. :thumbsup:

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #7,896 of 8,119
Guys I am having a really bad issue with my ie8s. I purchased mine back in July 2011 and couple of months ago I started to notice that the sound is reducing in right earpiece.. And now there is an apparent difference.. My warranty is runs out in June 2013 and i would appreciate if you guys advise solution for this problem... Urgent response is requested

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #7,897 of 8,119
Guys I am having a really bad issue with my ie8s. I purchased mine back in July 2011 and couple of months ago I started to notice that the sound is reducing in right earpiece.. And now there is an apparent difference.. My warranty is runs out in June 2013 and i would appreciate if you guys advise solution for this problem... Urgent response is requested

Well you could try detaching and re-attaching the cables.. They've been known to loosen up from time to time.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,899 of 8,119
Quote:

i had the exact same thing happen to me, i haven't found a solution.  I just adjust the balance and it works alright.  I would send them back for warranty asap

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #7,900 of 8,119
Quote:
Apart from the cable with controls, the IE8i is supposed to be the same IEM as the IE8, right? Or are there any further differences?

afaik it's the same thing. I ordered a ie8i cable from sennheiser and been using it for months now on my ie8's. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is a bit shorter than the regular cable.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #7,901 of 8,119
Quote:
afaik it's the same thing. I ordered a ie8i cable from sennheiser and been using it for months now on my ie8's. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is a bit shorter than the regular cable.

Thanks for the reply! Looking at pictures of both models, it seems that the cable is indeed the only difference between them, and considering it's a removable cable, it makes sense...

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #7,902 of 8,119
It is going to seem like I am shilling for this gadget but honestly the Digizoid Zo 2 is a winner with the IE8's. You would think that bass enhancement is the last thing the 8's need but used subtley the Zo allows lighter insertion and adds detail.
It is available from various places that accept returns or direct from Digizoid with a 60 day money back trial so you have nothing to
lose by trying it. Better than drilling holes!!! :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #7,903 of 8,119
I have owned the IE8 for about two years now. Unfortunately, they broke and the supplier offered me a full refund of €200. 
Of course, I can play safe and get the IE80 but I would like to try something new. Since I bought them, I haven't really been following the in ears business so I don;t really now which new in ears have been introduced over the past two years. Could you guys advice me a set of in ears below 250 euro's with the following characteristics?:
Build quality: similar to IE8 
Cable: as less as possible microphonics, deattachable is not required
Sound: Comparable soundstage to the IE8, Highs: smooth as the IE8 but a tad more clearer/volume. Mids: a tad less recessed as with the IE8 and a smaller midbass bump, Lows, More subbass than the IE8  and less midbass. (
So I basically want an  IEM that is comparable to the IE8. Thanks in advance!

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #7,904 of 8,119
Quote:
I have owned the IE8 for about two years now. Unfortunately, they broke and the supplier offered me a full refund of €200. 
Of course, I can play safe and get the IE80 but I would like to try something new. Since I bought them, I haven't really been following the in ears business so I don;t really now which new in ears have been introduced over the past two years. Could you guys advice me a set of in ears below 250 euro's with the following characteristics?:
Build quality: similar to IE8 
Cable: as less as possible microphonics, deattachable is not required
Sound: Comparable soundstage to the IE8, Highs: smooth as the IE8 but a tad more clearer/volume. Mids: a tad less recessed as with the IE8 and a smaller midbass bump, Lows, More subbass than the IE8  and less midbass. (
So I basically want an  IEM that is comparable to the IE8. Thanks in advance!

So basically perfection then.
etysmile.gif
I am driving myself nuts trying to supercede the IE8's.
deadhorse.gif
I too have been using them for a couple of years. I have fallen in and out with them. ATM I am enjoying them again courtesy of the gadget I posted about above. I tried a pair of Musical Fidelity EB-50's which would have been it for me if the rather large form factor had been compatible with my ears. The ACS T-15's with the Digizoid are strangely similar to the '8's. With better detail. YMMV.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #7,905 of 8,119
Not that this will change anyones minds to one direction or another, but I just wanted to give a short update of my life with the IE8's.

I purchased mine in 2011 and was quite dissapointed with what I got. The build was bulky and the sound very bassy especially for rock and metal. Quite soon I got myself W2's and have been using them since.

Lately I've started listening more to different electronic stuff including dubstep and some more ambient stuff and wanted to give the IE8's a go since I forgot the W2's at my friends place. I have to say I was quite pleasantly surprised with that I had in the drawer waiting for me. The bass response paired with the soundstage actually gave me goosebumps when I first tried it after the long W2 period. It was something that I've been missing without fully understanding it.

I listen this sort of music more for the feel good factor and almayst always on the go. In such use the IE8 is exactly what you want. If only the headphone would be a bit smaller, which would make the fit better I would say I love these. Despite the fit issues these will be back in the rotation and I'm really happy the investment hasn't been in vain.

The W2 will still remain my primary headphone for the guitar stuff, but it's great to have such options to pick from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back