Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #7,863 of 8,119
Quote:
I think insulating tape might leave a residue depending on the quality of the tape.

Any tape residue is easily removed with rubbing alcohol or 'Goo Gone' or even olive oil. Just stay away from solvents that may eat plastic (IE-8). The trim panel on IE-80's is stainless steel and will not be damaged by any tape or solvents short of paint remover.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #7,864 of 8,119
Quote:

I just cover the bass ports with a tiny square of transparent tape. I think insulating tape might leave a residue depending on the quality of the tape. I tried covering the whole faceplate, but I found the tape edges to be uncomfortable if they touched my ears.

I've done this and used the black insulating tape. It's a cheap one so I'll have to see how it goes. I cut the tap into a triangle of sorts such that two sides of it are flush against the sides of the IE8 and just far enough to cover the bass ports. Hope I'm not going to disturb the bass ports anytime soon!

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #7,865 of 8,119
Quote:

The "Tape Mod" = covering the bass adjustment hole w/tape (supposedly) does beneficial things to the SQ, i.e. reduces the mid-bass bloat and smooths out the mids and highs.

I don't find it to smooth out the mids and highs lol. It actually increases the mids/vocals significantly and makes the treble more upfront and aggressive. It does quite the opposite of smoothing them out :).

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #7,866 of 8,119
Quote:
I don't find it to smooth out the mids and highs lol. It actually increases the mids/vocals significantly and makes the treble more upfront and aggressive. It does quite the opposite of smoothing them out :).

I'll have a listen tomorrow on the way to work. Will see how it goes! Hope the mod was worth it!

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #7,867 of 8,119
My preliminary thoughts on the mod. Mid bass is severely diminished but I also feel it's bass quality has been lost where some of the bass on tracks now sound hollow. If you dont EQ the IE8s prior then the treble is much better. But if like me, you already EQ it up, then I'm not reducing my treble EQ.

Takes some getting used to. Sure there is slightly more detail. But. The bass still irks me a little. That and I'm not sure if closing up the vent messes with the drivers in the long run

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #7,870 of 8,119
Two things: first, I spent a bit of time today trying various tips for my IE8 (Monster hybrids, Sony hybrids, small silicone bi-flange that I think came with the IE8, and Comply T-500), and I keep coming back to the Comply. They just seem to have the best mix of bass response, isolation, clarity, and comfort of all the ones I've tried. I saw the recommendation for the Hifiman RE series bi-flanges, and I might give those a go too. Naturally, I'm  open to any other thoughts anybody has! (I have a set of custom tips I had made for them, but they were uncomfortable and difficult to get in and out, so I haven't used them in a while).

Second, I just saw the reference to the 'tape mod' and tried it out, and WOW-- it really does make the bass SIGNIFICANTLY less overblown and wooly!! I've only been listening for a few minutes, so we'll see how it works in the long term, but so far, I'm very impressed!! Major kudos to whoever figured this out!!! :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #7,871 of 8,119
Quote:
Two things: first, I spent a bit of time today trying various tips for my IE8 (Monster hybrids, Sony hybrids, small silicone bi-flange that I think came with the IE8, and Comply T-500), and I keep coming back to the Comply. They just seem to have the best mix of bass response, isolation, clarity, and comfort of all the ones I've tried. I saw the recommendation for the Hifiman RE series bi-flanges, and I might give those a go too. Naturally, I'm  open to any other thoughts anybody has! (I have a set of custom tips I had made for them, but they were uncomfortable and difficult to get in and out, so I haven't used them in a while).

Second, I just saw the reference to the 'tape mod' and tried it out, and WOW-- it really does make the bass SIGNIFICANTLY less overblown and wooly!! I've only been listening for a few minutes, so we'll see how it works in the long term, but so far, I'm very impressed!! Major kudos to whoever figured this out!!! :)

U Can Say Thanks to Russian Guys.... Hahaha.. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #7,872 of 8,119
In that case...

THANKS TO YOU, RUSSIAN GUYS!!!!! 
size]

beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #7,873 of 8,119
Who here is crazy enough to punch holes in the IE's back plate to covert it to a semi-open iem? ME! I put 3 holes per IEM.

Initial impressions : EPIC. The sound stage is a lot massive and improved the treble and holographic-ness of the sound. Sounds like an open can but still blocks outside noise unlike open cans.

Other observations :
- I though the hole would make its bass bloated like maxing out the bass port. Apparently, it doesn't. Even with holes, the bass port still controls the bass. Which is a good thing!
- Bass didn't reduce, but sounds much more deep. (probably attenuated some of the excess mid bass?)

Worth a try if you are fine having reduced outside-world isolation. As for me, I never really liked closed headphones and this mod has made me use the IE8s again instead of open cans at home!

pictures to follow. it doesn't look pretty though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #7,874 of 8,119
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #7,875 of 8,119
Quote:
Who here is crazy enough to punch holes in the IE's back plate to covert it to a semi-open iem? ME! I put 3 holes per IEM.

Initial impressions : EPIC. The sound stage is a lot massive and improved the treble and holographic-ness of the sound. Sounds like an open can but still blocks outside noise unlike open cans.

Other observations :
- I though the hole would make its bass bloated like maxing out the bass port. Apparently, it doesn't. Even with holes, the bass port still controls the bass. Which is a good thing!
- Bass didn't reduce, but sounds much more deep. (probably attenuated some of the excess mid bass?)

Worth a try if you are fine having reduced outside-world isolation. As for me, I never really liked closed headphones and this mod has made me use the IE8s again instead of open cans at home!

pictures to follow. it doesn't look pretty though.

You sound like a fun guy to drink with. 
size]

Keep us posted man :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back