Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #7,877 of 8,119
Ordered some Auvio tips from Radioshack at the kind recommendation of burtonmr (link). Here's hoping they fulfill all my wildest hopes and dreams!! Or at least provide me with comparable SQ w/ the Complys without having to roll foam every time I put them in my ears :wink:

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #7,879 of 8,119
^ This guy 
size]

Thanks again, bro!!

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #7,880 of 8,119
^ to the guy with TIP issues, have you tried Superlux tips? they are free with any superlux 381F/386/etc iems. for the price you get a very good backup IEM and good tips that fit unlike all i've tried. The Largest one doesnt only provide good seal but the best soundstage. Why? Its because its so big it is literally outside your earhole but it seals easily despite it.

I understand that foam-based tips' isolation are best but they attenuate highs. I have also noticed that tips with small nozzle also attenuate treble (i.e. Sony Hybrids)

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #7,881 of 8,119
Update on the Hole Mode :

So far, so great. I don't remember the last time I had multiple eargasms in a public transport since ever. This mod has transformed the IE8 into the IEM i have been looking for all these years (without going customs & without paying insane amounts a la ie800 or k3003)

It has escalated the already large soundstage into another level of airyness, lushness, naturalness, and everything sounds uncongested without sounding thin i.e. still has the nice fun warmth everyone loves about the IE8s but sounds livelier.

To my delight of the 1st result, I have added another hole on each earpiece and now it has 4 holes. This time I punched a hole atop the driver and this move has resulted in a noticeable drop in the mid bass hump and furthers the positives above. (at the expense of isolation of course)

I have also notice a bit better textures & layers. But the significant characteristic I could not directly put into words are : consider the difference between a closed IEM and an open headphone -- i always noticed that I can always crank up the volume and rock out more on an Open headphone (even using a cheap one) compared to a closed expensive IEM. For example, Foo Fighters or any guitar heavy songs on the IE8, when compared to the Superlux or a PX100ii, while the IE8 is alot more refined, I find that there is a distinct quality in Open headphones that these songs sound rocking on high volumes compared to when using a closed which sometimes sound shouty/congested/un-fun/faitguing on high volumes. This characteristic is now gone in this mod, which is awesome. Even if I use super sealed foamies or Sony hybrids, it still sounds open and airy and fun.

The loss in isolation is quite minimal and despite having 4 holes, it still blocks alot more noise than intentionally open IEMs like the Superlux or compared to my Open Portables. The loss in isolation is only around 5-10%

While I am a proponent of this mod, please be warned that I did this to a 5 yr old IE8. I do not encourage people especially to units with warranties to be modified to this. If anyone is interested on how I made the mod. let me know.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #7,883 of 8,119

Here you go.

Tool used to punch the hole :
The smallest one is enough to induce a hole just by adding some force. Ofcourse mine looks like crap without any proper alignment planned ahead, so you may try to not overlook this prep if you dont want yours to look as crap as mine :D

Steps Done :
1. Remove Screw
2. Remoe back plate
3. "Drill" the holes
4. Assemble back

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #7,884 of 8,119
i never knew that the ie8  is an IEM with full of amazing mod
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #7,885 of 8,119
Quote:
But the significant characteristic I could not directly put into words are : consider the difference between a closed IEM and an open headphone...

Hmm, but the IE8/80 aren't closed, since their bass screw works as an adjustable vent. So wouldn't removing the bass screw do pretty much the same as punching holes into the housing?

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #7,886 of 8,119
Quote:

Here you go.

Tool used to punch the hole :
The smallest one is enough to induce a hole just by adding some force. Ofcourse mine looks like crap without any proper alignment planned ahead, so you may try to not overlook this prep if you dont want yours to look as crap as mine
biggrin.gif

Steps Done :
1. Remove Screw
2. Remoe back plate
3. "Drill" the holes
4. Assemble back

U are a one hell of a epic bastared SIR...!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #7,888 of 8,119
Quote:
^ to the guy with TIP issues, have you tried Superlux tips? they are free with any superlux 381F/386/etc iems. for the price you get a very good backup IEM and good tips that fit unlike all i've tried. The Largest one doesnt only provide good seal but the best soundstage. Why? Its because its so big it is literally outside your earhole but it seals easily despite it.

I understand that foam-based tips' isolation are best but they attenuate highs. I have also noticed that tips with small nozzle also attenuate treble (i.e. Sony Hybrids)

I havent, no. But due to your recommendation, I looked around to see if I could find some a bit and wasn't particularly successful. I'll keep an eye out-- thanks for the tip (ha!!)

I'm currently using the Auvio tips at burtonmr's recommendation, and they certainly are vastly easier to use when you have to pull your IEMs out periodically. They don't isolate anywhere near as well as the Comply, but they do seem a bit brighter. Very comfortable to wear. 

I ended up taking the tape off... It didn't just reduce the bass, it damn near eradicated it, which is not what I wanted either :wink:. I might turn up the bass control a bit and try to tape them again-- anyone had success with this? 

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #7,889 of 8,119
Quote:
Don't know if anybody has mentioned these, but I use Sony EP-EX1 tips, they fit perfectly and they have a wider opening than Sony Hybrids. If you have a Sony factory Outlet store near you, you can always find Sony Hybrids or the above mentioned tips for $.99 or less.
size]

Ordered :wink:. Thanks bud!!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #7,890 of 8,119
Quote:

I havent, no. But due to your recommendation, I looked around to see if I could find some a bit and wasn't particularly successful. I'll keep an eye out-- thanks for the tip (ha!!)

I'm currently using the Auvio tips at burtonmr's recommendation, and they certainly are vastly easier to use when you have to pull your IEMs out periodically. They don't isolate anywhere near as well as the Comply, but they do seem a bit brighter. Very comfortable to wear. 

I ended up taking the tape off... It didn't just reduce the bass, it damn near eradicated it, which is not what I wanted either :wink:. I might turn up the bass control a bit and try to tape them again-- anyone had success with this? 

that wont do any good mate.... i tried it.. tell u something elz to do... do the tape mod all over again. but remember to cover the whole face-plate ( 2 layers will be enough) then get a small needle and punch a single hole where the bass knob has.. do it to the others as well.. but make sure u dont over do it.. needle size will be more than enough ( do not make it larger ) .. have to say that it gave the tape mode a good airiness as well as a nice oozing sub-bass presence with the same (tape-mode) sound... + i noticed that the upper treble harshness just vanished and vocals became pretty more live... Very transparent sounding  and non-fatiguing .. give it a try :)    ----- remember i did this to my IE80 but cannot go wrong with the IE8s..--------

Users who are viewing this thread

Back