Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #7,906 of 8,119
Quote:
Not that this will change anyones minds to one direction or another, but I just wanted to give a short update of my life with the IE8's.

I purchased mine in 2011 and was quite dissapointed with what I got. The build was bulky and the sound very bassy especially for rock and metal. Quite soon I got myself W2's and have been using them since.

Lately I've started listening more to different electronic stuff including dubstep and some more ambient stuff and wanted to give the IE8's a go since I forgot the W2's at my friends place. I have to say I was quite pleasantly surprised with that I had in the drawer waiting for me. The bass response paired with the soundstage actually gave me goosebumps when I first tried it after the long W2 period. It was something that I've been missing without fully understanding it.

I listen this sort of music more for the feel good factor and almayst always on the go. In such use the IE8 is exactly what you want. If only the headphone would be a bit smaller, which would make the fit better I would say I love these. Despite the fit issues these will be back in the rotation and I'm really happy the investment hasn't been in vain.

The W2 will still remain my primary headphone for the guitar stuff, but it's great to have such options to pick from.

The part in bold is exactly why I love the IE8s (see for example my review in my signature). 

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #7,907 of 8,119
Quote:

The part in bold is exactly why I love the IE8s (see for example my review in my signature). 

I read your sig and can fully understand where you are coming from with your review.

I also read from your sig that you have a pair of UE700s. How do you like them? Propably quite different to IE8 at least. We have this crazy sale for them at 69€ (90$) and feel like I gotta give them a go as well.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #7,908 of 8,119
I read your sig and can fully understand where you are coming from with your review.

I also read from your sig that you have a pair of UE700s. How do you like them? Propably quite different to IE8 at least. We have this crazy sale for them at 69€ (90$) and feel like I gotta give them a go as well.

Disclaimer: sorry for any typos and other errors, typing from my mobile leads to incoherence as well!

They are decent value for what they are but if you are moving around whilst using them, they are really really annoying. The microphonics from any movement of the cable etc is ridiculous.

They are very different from the IE8s. Bear in mind I really like the IE8s though. But as a substitute pair, the UE700 just didn't work out and not because of bass differences. I couldn't get a good seal and got too annoyed trying to get the Fit right every few seconds. I suppose that's why they've been on sale for a really really long time as well.

Their SQ isn't bad mind you. If you are using them from home, it'll be less of an issue. But definitely not if you are moving around.

In terms of SQ, the UE700 brings clarity where the IE8s lose you with the bass ie the bass glosses over its treble clarity. That isn't to say the IE8s aren't good with treble though. On a quick note, with the IE8s I'm able to reduce the veil and the mid bass bump that exists. But with bass light earphones, you just can't EQ the bass to make it sound right.

The UEs aren't bright either mind. They aren't in your face forward. But they are far more neutral when you come from the IE8s.

And lastly, the UE700 just don't do bass. But again, I'm an IE8 user so :wink:

May 16, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #7,909 of 8,119
I am slightly embarrassed to have been so negative about the IE8's and effusive about the Zo.
The Zo2 is initially impressive and does give the bass more control but is really too much of a good thing.
I still use the Zo with my T-15's.
Recently I bought a Headstage Arrow which seems to work very well with the '8's.
it seems to give control to the bass. The treble boost has a very positive effect and the cross fade is the icing on the cake. (If indeed you do put cake in your ears!).
On fit. I have never had any problems with the IE 8's. Unlike several other 'phones that I have tried. There is also the option of custom tips from ACS...

May 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #7,911 of 8,119
Looking for a replacement cable for my ie8. looking for an under 50$ option plz!

I think the original replacement cable is under that price unless you were looking for an upgrade cable?

May 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #7,913 of 8,119
In terms of overall durability I'm not sure if you'll find a better cable in that price-point to the stock cable... But for sound that is another story...

May 27, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #7,915 of 8,119
Quote:
I would like better sound

Better sound would be a subjective thing.. Which aspect of the overall sound quality do you want improved?

May 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #7,916 of 8,119
You can't say that different cables change different aspects of sound, it changes the whole FR.. Cables only change conductivity. I just want a decent replacement that is not the stock cable and under 50$.
If it was even physically possible with a different cable would want less bass bleed into the mids.

May 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #7,917 of 8,119
Even if it was true that a wire could target single aspects of sound like just the mids or just the highs
Your still limited by the material of the contacts in your MP3 player, headphones, and or amp. Most devices have gold plated and most hps the same

May 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #7,918 of 8,119
Quote:
Even if it was true that a wire could target single aspects of sound like just the mids or just the highs
Your still limited by the material of the contacts in your MP3 player, headphones, and or amp. Most devices have gold plated and most hps the same

Yup, you are right.
That is why 1k Mp3 players exists like the AK120.

However, electricity does not travel as much as the wires of the IEM, thus improvement if any, should be made on the IEM cables and not
really the MP3 internal since there isn't much distance.

My twags does sweeten the mids and reduce a significant amount of mid bass away.

Some chinese manufacturer even classify their cables to do different stuffs and wonders.

May 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #7,919 of 8,119
Quote:
.....their cables to do different stuffs and wonders.

confused_face(1).gif

May 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #7,920 of 8,119
With cables you are either a believer or not. Personally I think the differences are going to be very small at best. I found that a good amp gave more control to the bass. That along with ACS custom tips have made the IE8's very acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back