Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #7,501 of 8,119
Did anyone tried the IE-8 with an ipod classic 5.5? (The older one with Wofson CODEC). A friend of mine just bought one and lent it to me, so I test drove it with a few of my higher tier gear, among them the W3 and IE-8. I'll be damned to report that neither the W3 nor the IE-8 sounds bass heavy at all with the old classic. While the sound is more airy and detailed from the W3, the IE-8 sings with the 5.5 classic like I never heard it before. So it's not the sound gear that's imperfect, but the damned players we use as sound source! The stuffy-nes and mid-bass hump completely disappeared from the IE-8, the sound absolutely perfect with eq disabled. Now my dear friend can kiss goodbye to his old "new" player, he is not getting it back...

That sounds a bit more like synergy between components than a better amp. Take a bass heavy IEM, and feed it from a bass light source, and get something approaching a nice neutral. Perhaps there's something else going on, but I strongly suspect that the non-neutral amp acts as your built-in EQ, which is different than claiming there is no EQ.

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #7,502 of 8,119
Did anyone tried the IE-8 with an ipod classic 5.5? (The older one with Wofson CODEC). A friend of mine just bought one and lent it to me, so I test drove it with a few of my higher tier gear, among them the W3 and IE-8. I'll be damned to report that neither the W3 nor the IE-8 sounds bass heavy at all with the old classic. While the sound is more airy and detailed from the W3, the IE-8 sings with the 5.5 classic like I never heard it before. So it's not the sound gear that's imperfect, but the damned players we use as sound source! The stuffy-nes and mid-bass hump completely disappeared from the IE-8, the sound absolutely perfect with eq disabled. Now my dear friend can kiss goodbye to his old "new" player, he is not getting it back...

That sounds a bit more like synergy between components than a better amp. Take a bass heavy IEM, and feed it from a bass light source, and get something approaching a nice neutral. Perhaps there's something else going on, but I strongly suspect that the non-neutral amp acts as your built-in EQ, which is different than claiming there is no EQ.

There are others who won't agree on such differences when on flat EQ and volume matched.. I still find each DAP to have it's own inherent sound signature. Although the differences may be subtle but they still do exist.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #7,503 of 8,119

Quote:
Quote:

I would certainly agree, you are absolutely right. I feel though, that portable music players are not getting better with every new release, but the trend is moving the opposite direction regarding sq. The focus is more to match the capabilities of smart phones rather than the output of quality and neutral sound. For example, I did have the classic 5.5 a few years back, but I did not have any decent gear to take advantage of it, and when I moved up to the 6.0 I did notice the difference, but with the crappy CX-300 it seemed insignificant. Since I moved up to higher tier IEMs, I never used the classic 6.0 without amp, because the sound directly from the player's headphone jack is just plain crap, regardless which eq option I tried. With the classic 5.5, I can leave the optional eq settings disabled and the sound is perfect for my taste. By that I don't mean there's no eq involved from the player's opamp.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #7,504 of 8,119

I feel though, that portable music players are not getting better with every new release, but the trend is moving the opposite direction regarding sq.

Yeah, the decisions on design and components is often driven by factors other than SQ. I would suspect cost is a huge factor. It's a shame that we have to, more often than not, buy expensives DAPs or amplifiers to get good quality.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #7,505 of 8,119

So you consider the Classic better sounding than the itouch 4th gen and iphone4? I've heard that those 2 sound the best out of all the ipods due to the DAC inside of the touch and phone. I really do like the sound from my iphone and I find it to pair very well with the FX700, even without an amp. I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged my FX700 into my phone earlier today to hear such good synergy and much more controlled bass.
Quote:

I would certainly agree, you are absolutely right. I feel though, that portable music players are not getting better with every new release, but the trend is moving the opposite direction regarding sq. The focus is more to match the capabilities of smart phones rather than the output of quality and neutral sound. For example, I did have the classic 5.5 a few years back, but I did not have any decent gear to take advantage of it, and when I moved up to the 6.0 I did notice the difference, but with the crappy CX-300 it seemed insignificant. Since I moved up to higher tier IEMs, I never used the classic 6.0 without amp, because the sound directly from the player's headphone jack is just plain crap, regardless which eq option I tried. With the classic 5.5, I can leave the optional eq settings disabled and the sound is perfect for my taste. By that I don't mean there's no eq involved from the player's opamp.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #7,506 of 8,119

Quote:
So you consider the Classic better sounding than the itouch 4th gen and iphone4? I've heard that those 2 sound the best out of all the ipods due to the DAC inside of the touch and phone. I really do like the sound from my iphone and I find it to pair very well with the FX700, even without an amp. I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged my FX700 into my phone earlier today to hear such good synergy and much more controlled bass.

That I really can't tell you since I never had or tried any of the ipod touch series, neither any iphones. My first ipod was the 4GB mini, I upgraded that to the 8GB version, than when the ipod video was released (the 5.5) I moved on to that. I pretty much stayed with the classics because of the storage space, I was just about to get the 7-th generation soon to have that 160 GB storage. After this experience that won't happen. If you happy with the sound from your iphone, that's all that matters, especially if you don't need to use an amp.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #7,507 of 8,119
Have anyone listened  to the IE8 with the Teclast T51  ?

Still thinking should i buy the IE8 or not....

I listen to everything : Jazz , Rock, Metal, Pop

And is the noise isolation on these any good ?

I will be grateful if someone would kindly help me out :)
 thanks

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #7,508 of 8,119
Have anyone listened  to the IE8 with the Teclast T51  ?

Still thinking should i buy the IE8 or not....

I listen to everything : Jazz , Rock, Metal, Pop

And is the noise isolation on these any good ?

I will be grateful if someone would kindly help me out :)
 thanks

Noise isolation isn't the IE8s strong suite. If you plan on using them on a subway or a very noisy environment then I'd suggest something else. The IE8s do pair well with the Sflo2 as the IE8 stock are more laid back while the T51 is more bright and digital.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #7,509 of 8,119
I mainly use them for on the go. I think by using the sony hybird tips will help me blocking out the noise (from research) 

I am still tempted to get it as my mate can sell this to me for 60gbp (2nd hand brought on amazon UK , burn-in ~ 200hrs) and it sounds like an amazing deal.

so any amps recommended ? or the T51 is good enough on its own ?

thanks again :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #7,510 of 8,119
The UHA 4 pairs really well with the IE8 bringing the mids more forward or at least adding clarity to the mids. An amp is not a requirement but it will improve the IE8s further.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #7,511 of 8,119

Quote:
Hey guys, looking to buy a pair of these babies

Would you say they would be harsh to someone who is treble sensitive after burn in?

For reference, i found the ath-m50s to have sibilant and bright painful treble....

Also, are there any metal/hard rock listeners here that found them good for that genre?

And can someone also compare them to the hd 650 in sound signature, it would be a big help, thanks

i am very sensitive to sibilance, iv had it bad on every set even the ie8 but that all changed after i left them to burn in for 100hours.
they are super smooth now to me.

i only listen to metal/ hard rock and i can say they are the best ones for them genres that iv used because of the huge sound stage and the non flooding bass that stays low and doesnt vanish when the double bass pedal kicks in. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #7,513 of 8,119
Don't think I could ever part with IE8s. I love there non fatiguing nature yet they still have lots of detail. Just hope the newer version can be used without EQ although that's not a deal breaker for me as most IEMs will need some sort of EQ to sound their best, unlike speakers. :cool:

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #7,514 of 8,119
@lee730

sorry for this question again, are the silver galaxy cables an upgrade? i'm planning to buy the new IE80s they said that it was sonically improved. I like very good highs too

in fact i have auditioned yesterday an IE8 but it was not in perfect condition. the highs are great for me very natural and nice impact and extension. How does the Silver galaxy cable differ from this? it it more extended? more pronounced?

thank you

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #7,515 of 8,119
@lee730

sorry for this question again, are the silver galaxy cables an upgrade? i'm planning to buy the new IE80s they said that it was sonically improved. I like very good highs too

in fact i have auditioned yesterday an IE8 but it was not in perfect condition. the highs are great for me very natural and nice impact and extension. How does the Silver galaxy cable differ from this? it it more extended? more pronounced?

thank you

The silver galaxy adds more emphasis on the treble, definitely more extended. The cable also takes away from the IE8s warmth for more added clarity. The bass is more controlled with the cable as well. Regardless the IE8s still need EQ to sound their best. Now if these new IE80s have gotten rid of the Sennheiser veil then I am all over them. I bet if the cable is compatible with the IE80 it would be a nice upgrade overall. It would make them more aggressive and in your face but that remains to be seen. Depending on the impressions to come. My IE8s may be going up for sale :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back