Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #7,486 of 8,119

Quote:
I had thought there would be specific track's people use to burn them in.

example being pink noise.

Don't worry about that. Just play music as you would. Its always good to use a decent source to fully power them and play them at a volume slightly above what you'd consider comfortable. If they sound good enough for you to listen to then you may not have to burn them in just burn them in as you go.I did this more so as I could here the changes for myself overtime.

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #7,487 of 8,119

Quote:
I dont get how a cable would change the sound on iems?
Iv used several speaker cables from cheap to expensive (not for enhancing sound) just general cable quality
And iv havent noticed any difference between £5 and £100 wire
Also do sennheiser make a straight jack cable for ie8s? because.i hate L shaped

Well you'll never know until you try it now won't you? Silver cable has an emphasis on treble, not sure how it does but it clearly produces more treble and clear treble at that. You get more dynamics, clarity, tightened bass, and the mids come forward.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #7,488 of 8,119

Quote:
I always do burn in with my old cd player on listening level. I play a cd on repeat and switch out the cds so it gets burned it with music that emphasizes different frequencies. I've never really done pink, brown noise etc. and everything has worked out fine.

I do something similar, using music only-- just plug in my Sony X player to a wall outlet, set any particularly dynamic and well-recorded album on repeat,then stuff the rig into a nearby drawer with it closed as far as it'll go around the power cable. A couple nights' worth of this and you're hours further into burn-in.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7,489 of 8,119
If I may, I prefer to listen to my in-ears straight out of the box, simply because irrespective of whatever subtle improvements/refinements I hear post burn-in, there's never a night and day difference. For instance, the SM3 initially sounded dark and veiled to my ears, and even after burn-in, while the sound did in fact noticeably open up (at least to my ears), becoming slightly less veiled, there was no confusing that I was still listening to the SM3. Hence, while I've certainly come to notice subtle improvements throughout the burn-in process, what's MUCH more important to me personally is allowing oneself to acclimate to the earphone's intended sound signature (or as some would call it, brain burn-in), which can take quite some time. The RE252 serves as a prime example in my case, which at first sounded much too neutral and analytical for my ears. Ask me now and it's among my top 5 universals, for that very reason. Slowly but surely, I grew accustomed to it's signature, and came to admire it's incredibly natural, raw, and neutral presentation. The same holds true for the ER4S, among others, since there are not very many in-ears that 
basshead.gif
 me from the get go. 

Back on topic. Yay, go IE8! 
tongue.gif
 No but seriously, it's been far too long since I last listened to the IE8, and I may pay it yet another visit in the near future. Personally speaking, I'm still awaiting a (much needed) price drop.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #7,492 of 8,119

Quote:
Where did you order lol? Did you get the Silver Galaxy?

The Silver Galaxy looks too sexy, makes the IEM's look too attractive. lol

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #7,493 of 8,119

Quote:
The Silver Galaxy looks too sexy, makes the IEM's look too attractive. lol

lol but thats what I like about it. Pairs quite well with it lol. You worried about attracting attention? The red angel is quite sexy as well and a bit more portable (and cheaper).

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #7,494 of 8,119
I'm toying with the idea of getting the IE8 to go balanced with my RS Protector. Has anyone re-terminated the IE8 cable or even have an idea whether it has 4 wires going to the 3.5mm plug?

Or even if someone sells upgrade cables and may be willing to re-terminate to the connector Ray has on the protector.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve. Thinking of doing the same thing and was wondering if you were successful re terminating the stock cables? Thanks!

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #7,495 of 8,119
Hey guys, looking to buy a pair of these babies

Would you say they would be harsh to someone who is treble sensitive after burn in?

For reference, i found the ath-m50s to have sibilant and bright painful treble....

Also, are there any metal/hard rock listeners here that found them good for that genre?

And can someone also compare them to the hd 650 in sound signature, it would be a big help, thanks

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7,496 of 8,119

Quote:
Hey guys, looking to buy a pair of these babies

Would you say they would be harsh to someone who is treble sensitive after burn in?

For reference, i found the ath-m50s to have sibilant and bright painful treble....

Also, are there any metal/hard rock listeners here that found them good for that genre?

And can someone also compare them to the hd 650 in sound signature, it would be a big help, thanks

The IE8s are similar to the HD650 sound signature and they are more laid back so I doubt you'd have an issue with sibilance.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #7,497 of 8,119

Quote:
lol but thats what I like about it. Pairs quite well with it lol. You worried about attracting attention? The red angel is quite sexy as well and a bit more portable (and cheaper).

I wish they had the silver galaxy as a remote w/mic for android. Id def buy instantly.

Does anyone have a high quality pic of the cable and IEMS paired?

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #7,498 of 8,119

Quote:
The IE8s are similar to the HD650 sound signature and they are more laid back so I doubt you'd have an issue with sibilance.

I'm glad that they sound similar, but can you describe their differences in more detail?

Are they brighter, warmer, more intimate, less intimate, good for rock, etc..

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #7,499 of 8,119
Did anyone tried the IE-8 with an ipod classic 5.5? (The older one with Wofson CODEC). A friend of mine just bought one and lent it to me, so I test drove it with a few of my higher tier gear, among them the W3 and IE-8. I'll be damned to report that neither the W3 nor the IE-8 sounds bass heavy at all with the old classic. While the sound is more airy and detailed from the W3, the IE-8 sings with the 5.5 classic like I never heard it before. So it's not the sound gear that's imperfect, but the damned players we use as sound source! The stuffy-nes and mid-bass hump completely disappeared from the IE-8, the sound absolutely perfect with eq disabled. Now my dear friend can kiss goodbye to his old "new" player, he is not getting it back...

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #7,500 of 8,119

Quote:
Did anyone tried the IE-8 with an ipod classic 5.5? (The older one with Wofson CODEC). A friend of mine just bought one and lent it to me, so I test drove it with a few of my higher tier gear, among them the W3 and IE-8. I'll be damned to report that neither the W3 nor the IE-8 sounds bass heavy at all with the old classic. While the sound is more airy and detailed from the W3, the IE-8 sings with the 5.5 classic like I never heard it before. So it's not the sound gear that's imperfect, but the damned players we use as sound source! The stuffy-nes and mid-bass hump completely disappeared from the IE-8, the sound absolutely perfect with eq disabled. Now my dear friend can kiss goodbye to his old "new" player, he is not getting it back...

Even headphonaddict confirmed this. He said the only amp that drove the IE8s perfectly without needing EQ was the Amphora amp. I still find I need EQ to make them sound how I want but they sound so good after EQ on the Hifiman 601.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back