Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7,531 of 8,119

Quote:

Thank you! I can't wait until they arrive today. :)  My other flagship IEMs (Triple.fi 10 Pros) I greatly love, however they just don't have the bass impact and soundstage that I desire.

That's because you don't have an airtight fit, I guarantee that. With a good seal, the TF's bass is even deeper than of the IE-8's, minus the upper and mid-bass hump. Than, if you open up the bass port on the IE-8, the bass goes deeper of course.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #7,532 of 8,119

Quote:
That's because you don't have an airtight fit, I guarantee that. With a good seal, the TF's bass is even deeper than of the IE-8's, minus the upper and mid-bass hump. Than, if you open up the bass port on the IE-8, the bass goes deeper of course.

I most certainly DO have an airtight fit on the TF10s. I use bi-flange silicon tips that came with them and those give me a perfect seal in both ears. The bass quality is there (detail wise), but the quantity that I desire is not.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #7,533 of 8,119

Quote:

I most certainly DO have an airtight fit on the TF10s. I use bi-flange silicon tips that came with them and those give me a perfect seal in both ears. The bass quality is there (detail wise), but the quantity that I desire is not.

That's another story. I most certainly agree that the IE-8's sound sig is a lot darker, for a good "bass fix" surely you did pull the right gun out of your arsenal. If you demand a lot of bass, the IE-8's are hard to beat.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #7,534 of 8,119

Quote:
That's another story. I most certainly agree that the IE-8's sound sig is a lot darker, for a good "bass fix" surely you did pull the right gun out of your arsenal. If you demand a lot of bass, the IE-8's are hard to beat.

Right - don't get me wrong, I love my TF10s. :) I've had them for about 2 1/2 years now. However, I also wanted another pair of high-end universal IEMs that could complement them nicely.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #7,536 of 8,119
My IE8is arrived! HOORAY!!!

4 songs in, and I already love these things so damn much.....the bass and soundstage is exactly what I am looking for in an IEM. The mids and highs are there too in good detail, the highs aren't too harsh either. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #7,537 of 8,119

Quote:
My IE8is arrived! HOORAY!!!

4 songs in, and I already love these things so damn much.....the bass and soundstage is exactly what I am looking for in an IEM. The mids and highs are there too in good detail, the highs aren't too harsh either. 
beyersmile.png

Glad to hear you're liking them :). I recabled my IE8s and have loved the results silver cable has brought. I have FX700s which compliment my Silver IE8s quite well; happy listening!
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7,539 of 8,119

Quote:
Totally hope the price on these drops to the floor if the IE8 is discontinued. I'd love some of the closeout prices the IE7 was bought at!

If they haven't fixed the issues though with the last generation I will be very disappointed in Sennheiser. They have winners with the HD600 and HD650. They need to make IEMs that sound pretty much exactly the same as those 2 and I guarantee you they would sell like hot cakes. If they can be rid of the veil on the IE8, get rid of the mid bass bloat and make things more in your face and a tad less laid back I'd definitely pick up a pair.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #7,541 of 8,119

Quote:
yeah, if the IE8 is discontinued and there is a dramatic price drop, im totally going to jump on them. No matter how good an IEM sounds I dont think I can justify paying more than $300 for it.

The IE8is are already getting cheaper. They're currently $279 directly from Amazon.

EDIT: OK, maybe not quite..

IE8is: $282.73
IE8s: $299.99

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #7,542 of 8,119

Quote:
The IE8is are already getting cheaper. They're currently $279 directly from Amazon.

EDIT: OK, maybe not quite..

IE8is: $282.73
IE8s: $299.99

yep, just a few days ago the IE8i was about $293 or so on Amazon, so I guess I'll wait to see if the price comes down any further. One question I have is that why is the IE8i more expensive than the IE8? The IE8i has a microphone which can be used with the iPhone, while the IE8 has no such feature. So, its the IE8i that should be more expensive than the IE8, right?

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #7,544 of 8,119

Quote:
yep, just a few days ago the IE8i was about $293 or so on Amazon, so I guess I'll wait to see if the price comes down any further. One question I have is that why is the IE8i more expensive than the IE8? The IE8i has a microphone which can be used with the iPhone, while the IE8 has no such feature. So, its the IE8i that should be more expensive than the IE8, right?

The price difference for the IE8i being lower actually doesn't make sense to me. That is technically the flagship version since it has additional features with the cable not offered with the standard IE8 model. However, my guess to the lower price is that most people end up buying the standard IE8s, so they lower the price of the other model to try to entice more sales. Either way, I paid $292 for the IE8is from Amazon this past Thursday and my ears have fallen in love with them ever since. Money well spent. :)

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #7,545 of 8,119
Curious: is the only difference between the IE-8 and the IE-8i just the cable? 

So the drivers are the same, just the cable incorporates a mike and a 4 conductor plug for "smart" phones/iPods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back