Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #2,836 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. possibly the most over enginered box in history

those ebay double flange tips should help big time, made a huge difference to me

Thanks to you for directing me to these. I'm hoping that they will help with regards comfort and isolation.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #2,837 of 8,119
The box/stock carry case just sits at home doing nothing since I use a Soundmagic PL30 style hard case. Heck, I can fit my IE8 AND sansa clip 8GB all into the one little container.

The packaging is complete overkill even though it does feel nice.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #2,838 of 8,119
How is the IE8 compared to the Shure E5? I've had the E5 for around 3-4 years.
I'm reading this thread starting from 0 and i'm at page 69. It has taken me around 2-3 days. I might find out by reading the whole thread but i need to know asap if possible (and you can't search for the two letters e5).

I've ordered the IE8. I want to know before i pay for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
Raptor

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2,839 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm reading this thread starting from 0 and i'm at page 69. It has taken me around 2-3 days. I might find out by reading the whole thread but i need to know asap if possible (and you can't search for the two letters e5).

smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
Raptor

Im also waiting for this, my E5 cable got damaged when a little dog chewed it and now the silver wiring is exposed, only a mater of time before the wires inside give way.
Love the E5's though.

Considering the IE8 since im in the UK. Whats the cheapest place online for IE8's for UK?

Nik

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2,840 of 8,119
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
Raptor

Can't help you directly, but a treatsearch for 530 gives a lot of information.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #2,841 of 8,119
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
Raptor

that is dedication. 69 pages of reading. That's pretty amazing an E5 user. Not many of those around anymore.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #2,842 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What 'people' are you referring to?

the "people" that say cheaper headphones are just slightly below a more expensive headphone in quality so the extra price isn't worth it

also the "people" that complain about the price. That's the price. Accept it or go elsewhere.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #2,843 of 8,119
Quote:

Wow, an E5 user. I don't see the E5 mentioned hardly at all anymore.

From the little I have heard about it in my past, I would say the E5 (more bass prominence) is closer to the IE8 than the SE530 (more mid prominence). But I could be wrong as I haven't actually heard the E5.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2,844 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said the Phonaks had the same wide soundstage as the IE8, is that amped or unamped? When I listen to the Phonaks, I hear quite a decent soundstage, but not comparable with the IE8 soundstage by any means (in my opinion). So I wondered if your impressions were based on amped or unamped. Also, have you had a chance yet to just sit back and listen to the IE8 for pure enjoyment, or are you still busy analysing?
biggrin.gif

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I agree, the PFE soundstage with the grey filters is close, but not as wide as the IE8 in my experience using the Icon Mobile as an amp (and my other sources). Although I didn't listen with your array of great amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so... ie8s with nuforce icon mobile is good? because the icon mobile is selling for $89 here in singapore, iirc

First, not sure just how much an amp will improve the IE8. I was going to get a D10, but now am thinking I would be better off getting a 120gb Zune. My Prodigy sound card has a built in amp which sounds good, but now that my Fuze is burned in it also sounds as good, just a little different presentation.

I personally didn't like the combo of the Icon Mobile and the IE8 but HPA thinks it is a good match. The reason I didn't like it is the reduced deep bass output compared to my other sources and it gave me no tangible benefit with my Fuze HP out. It did have better soundstage than my Fuze at the time, but now my Fuze has opened up and sounds awesome.

There are select few tracks I listen to that I have a problem with the bass. And it is mid-bass, not deep bass. Armin van Buuren - Imagine has a lot of mid-bass energy in certain parts which is troublesome with the IE8 to me. While the PFE was better, I still thought it was too much, which means the original recording is the real problem. And I think we all know the IE8 is warm and full, which means a little extra mid-bass color, and I like it!

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #2,845 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the "people" that say cheaper headphones are just slightly below a more expensive headphone in quality so the extra price isn't worth it

also the "people" that complain about the price. That's the price. Accept it or go elsewhere.

What are you wearing?

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #2,846 of 8,119
Quote:
Quote:

You said the Phonaks had the same wide soundstage as the IE8, is that amped or unamped? When I listen to the Phonaks, I hear quite a decent soundstage, but not comparable with the IE8 soundstage by any means (in my opinion).

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I agree, the PFE soundstage with the grey filters is close, but not as wide as the IE8 in my experience using the Icon Mobile as an amp (and my other sources).
Although I didn't listen with your array of great amps.

Hmm... I don't have a single amp, never mind an array of great amps.

That must be why I don't notice an improvement when I don't use any of them
ksc75smile.gif

I think you meant to address HPA.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2,848 of 8,119
to average_joe: ok, thanks, maybe i'll just get fiio e5 first for testing with LOD first. I'll get my ie8s and burn them in first before trying it with different amps.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #2,849 of 8,119
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm... I don't have a single amp, never mind an array of great amps.

That must be why I don't notice an improvement when I don't use any of them
ksc75smile.gif

I think you meant to address HPA.

Yep, I meant to address HPA, sorry. But I agree with you about the PFE vs. IE8
biggrin.gif

Hey, maybe we both should get some of those great amps, hopefully enough to make an array
tongue_smile.gif
I actually am probably going to build a mini3 someday soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back