Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #2,852 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I agree, the PFE soundstage with the grey filters is close, but not as wide as the IE8 in my experience using the Icon Mobile as an amp (and my other sources). Although I didn't listen with your array of great amps.

A limitation of the amp more than the phones, as my tuned D10 or stock Pico does indeed widen the soundstage even more over the Nuforce.

First, not sure just how much an amp will improve the IE8. I was going to get a D10, but now am thinking I would be better off getting a 120gb Zune. My Prodigy sound card has a built in amp which sounds good, but now that my Fuze is burned in it also sounds as good, just a little different presentation.

I personally didn't like the combo of the Icon Mobile and the IE8 but HPA thinks it is a good match. The reason I didn't like it is the reduced deep bass output compared to my other sources and it gave me no tangible benefit with my Fuze HP out. It did have better soundstage than my Fuze at the time, but now my Fuze has opened up and sounds awesome.

In my test, I was only using the Nuforce with Macbook and USB out, which sounds much better than when using analog input with any source. With the USB DAC and IE8 the Nuforce is still better than expected from a $99 DAC/amp.

There are select few tracks I listen to that I have a problem with the bass. And it is mid-bass, not deep bass. Armin van Buuren - Imagine has a lot of mid-bass energy in certain parts which is troublesome with the IE8 to me. While the PFE was better, I still thought it was too much, which means the original recording is the real problem. And I think we all know the IE8 is warm and full, which means a little extra mid-bass color, and I like it!

You must get a good amp (with good source like DAC or line out dock) to really appreciate what the IE8 have to offer over your soundcard or DAP - the Icon Mobile is not the best choice, but what I found that it does seem to tame the bass so that I don't have to leave music out of my play lists. The $99 Vivid V1 is actually better with the IE8 than the $99 Nuforce, but my opamp rolled D10 is the pinnacle of synergy with the IE8.

The iBasso D10 - with opamps swapped to AD8599 LR and a pair of AD8656 in the buffers is a perfect match for the IE8 (while too bright or bass-lite with many of my other phones - see below). When I first put in the new opamps and tried it with my IE8 I thought it was fantastic, and probably matched my W3 - I was wowed. Soundstage is huge, bass is level with the rest of the spectrum and flat to 20Hz, details go up a notch and are not hidden by the bass, and I no longer have issues with the treble. This is the only amp I have that can drive the IE8 to this level of performance.

Then I put on my W3 with those opamps, and it was slightly bright with the new opamps but still with good bass control, and the HD600 sounded great too. Then I tried my RS-1, D2000, Phonak Audeo, Livewires, SE530 customs and Westone ES3X and it was even worse - too bright and bass-lite, and fairly un-enjoyable.
frown.gif
So that opamp combo is pretty much limited to being used with dark warm bass heavy phones, and anything close to neutral will go over the edge with it to my ears.

HiFlight says that opamp combo beats his iQube, but I had to tone it down for my other phones by going back to the stock AD8532 buffers while using the AD8599. That warmed it up a bit without losing the improved bass response with IE8, but I am still not sure I can leave it this way, tuned to only work with 2 or 3 out of 20 headphones. I noticed the same excess brightness or harshness any time I use the AD8656 as buffers to any other opamp, so I am done with that as an option.

However, for the IE8 the iBasso D10 and rolled opamps is the perfect combination, and with using the D10 DAC it stomps the Nuforce and V1 soundly. Next I will try the AD8066 opamp or the AD8397 opamp with the IE8 and D10.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #2,853 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The iBasso D10 - with opamps swapped to AD8599 LR and a pair of AD8656 in the buffers is a perfect match for the IE8 (while too bright or bass-lite with many of my other phones - see below). When I first put in the new opamps and tried it with my IE8 I thought it was fantastic, and probably matched my W3 - I was wowed. Soundstage is huge, bass is level with the rest of the spectrum and flat to 20Hz, details go up a notch and are not hidden by the bass, and I no longer have issues with the treble. This is the only amp I have that can drive the IE8 to this level of performance.

Do the performance on strings improve with the modded D10? Looks like you need a bright amp with less bass to make the IE8 frequency response flat.

I am curious if the resolution on strings is dynamic driver slowness trait or just the bass over powering the mids.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #2,854 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the performance on strings improve with the modded D10? Looks like you need a bright amp with less bass to make the IE8 frequency response flat.

I am curious if the resolution on strings is dynamic driver slowness trait or just the bass over powering the mids.

It's a global improvement - for instance listening to John H. Clarke "Acoustik Guitar" the sound of the cello in the background behind the guitar is more audible and easier to follow now. There wasn't a lot of bass hiding that, but the texture and tone of the Cello is more realistic and not so lopsided towards the bass.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,856 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what does FYU stand for? Just.....curious.

its a new pair of headphones. best ever. Better than all the headphones combined with all the amps too. It's so good that, that's the only thing I can say publically.

btw, i've currently got the IE8s in.
I've got HeadphoneAddict to thank for these. Great buy.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #2,857 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must get a good amp (with good source like DAC or line out dock) to really appreciate what the IE8 have to offer over your soundcard or DAP - the Icon Mobile is not the best choice, but what I found that it does seem to tame the bass so that I don't have to leave music out of my play lists. The $99 Vivid V1 is actually better with the IE8 than the $99 Nuforce, but my opamp rolled D10 is the pinnacle of synergy with the IE8.

First, thanks for your response. My sound card sounded much better IMO than the Icon Mobile with an AD8066, as the bass was deeper, the amp was faster and had more energy, and the soundstage was wider. I also have an OPA627 which I like a lot and the two op amps are very similar in bass and stage, but the 627 is more laid back and a little less bright yet still impactful. I really don't think my sound card is bad at all and I do wonder how much better the D10 would be for the price. Since I do like my Prodigy I was going to upgrade to the HD which has a rollable 3 op amp configuration, but I don't feel I need to rush to do so, Plus depending upon how long I want to wait, the cost is between $75 and $130 for the card.

My Fuze, while it has taken a huge step forward, still doesn't compare to my sound card. It just isn't as punchy and impactful, but it does have great detail and the stage is close (probably on par with what I remember the IM to be).

Vivid V1, I will have to search the amp thread for that one. I am thinking of the Mini3, or even a cmoy with an op amp socket and upgraded components. I am still open, but not feeling like there is a big step up from where I am. I could be wrong!

Quote:

Then I put on my W3 with those opamps, and it was slightly bright with the new opamps but still with good bass control, and the HD600 sounded great too. Then I tried my RS-1, D2000, Phonak Audeo, Livewires, SE530 customs and Westone ES3X and it was even worse - too bright and bass-lite, and fairly un-enjoyable.
frown.gif
So that opamp combo is pretty much limited to being used with dark warm bass heavy phones, and anything close to neutral will go over the edge with it to my ears.

HiFlight says that opamp combo beats his iQube, but I had to tone it down for my other phones by going back to the stock AD8532 buffers while using the AD8599. That warmed it up a bit without losing the improved bass response with IE8, but I am still not sure I can leave it this way, tuned to only work with 2 or 3 out of 20 headphones. I noticed the same excess brightness or harshness any time I use the AD8656 as buffers to any other opamp, so I am done with that as an option.

However, for the IE8 the iBasso D10 and rolled opamps is the perfect combination, and with using the D10 DAC it stomps the Nuforce and V1 soundly. Next I will try the AD8066 opamp or the AD8397 opamp with the IE8 and D10.

I compared the AD8599 to the OPA627 and to me the AD8599 just didn't sound right. I wonder how the OPA627 would sound in place of the AD8599s in that config.

Another question I have is how much difference is there between the D10 and the Pico, Predator, 3move, and headsix that you own? And what I mean by that is are the differences just a preferred sound sig with different source and HPs combos, or is there more detail, wider stage, deeper bass, etc? I feel my Prodigy stomped the Icon Mobile also, so I am trying to get a feel for the improvement. (I know, I need to keep reading the portable amp forum.)

Quote:

Personally I thought the IE8 sounded more natural with guitar and drums than the PFE, yet piano (still strings) sounded almost the same. Maybe it is just what I am used to, but to me the IE8 sounded closer to live music for me.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2,858 of 8,119
Quote:

[/color]
Personally I thought the IE8 sounded more natural with guitar and drums than the PFE, yet piano (still strings) sounded almost the same. Maybe it is just what I am used to, but to me the IE8 sounded closer to live music for me.

I had a issue with the Turbine and HPA had made a similar comment about the IE8. So I was just trying to see if there was something to do with driver type.

I might get the Ie8 but not right now. I got the Turbines so have a dynamic driver added to the stable.

My next upgrade will be either the W3 or Ie8.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2,859 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a new pair of headphones. best ever. Better than all the headphones combined with all the amps too. It's so good that, that's the only thing I can say publically.

Hmmm, interesting, based on HPA's recommendation. I am not doubting, just wondering what he said that made you think to buy? IMO HPA has been pretty neutral on the IE8.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2,860 of 8,119
Quote:

Hmmm, interesting, based on HPA's recommendation. I am not doubting, just wondering what he said that made you think to buy? IMO HPA has been pretty neutral on the IE8.

I was actually leaning toward the W3 (which I may still end up getting), but the IE8 price was just too good to pass up.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2,861 of 8,119
Quote:

I had a issue with the Turbine and HPA had made a similar comment about the IE8. So I was just trying to see if there was something to do with driver type.

I might get the Ie8 but not right now. I got the Turbines so have a dynamic driver added to the stable.

My next upgrade will be either the W3 or Ie8.

I am interested also to see if it is a dynamic driver thing or just a Turbine thing. Heck, I am interested in how similar/different the Turbines and IE8 are (have to admit I haven't kept up with the Turbine threads). Unfortunately I was not selected to try the Turbines and I am not going to buy them.

Although I don't feel compelled to buy anything else from reading about it here. I did feel compelled to buy the PFE and IE8 from what people have said, but now I don't think any universal would be a step up for me.

Quote:

I was actually leaning toward the W3 (which I may still end up getting), but the IE8 price was just too good to pass up.

Gotcha, thanks!

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2,862 of 8,119
Quote:

Why get the IE8's when you already have those worlds greatest, top secret, FYU ultra-phones?

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #2,863 of 8,119
Quote:

[/color]

First, thanks for your response. My sound card sounded much better IMO than the Icon Mobile with an AD8066, as the bass was deeper, the amp was faster and had more energy, and the soundstage was wider. I also have an OPA627 which I like a lot and the two op amps are very similar in bass and stage, but the 627 is more laid back and a little less bright yet still impactful. I really don't think my sound card is bad at all and I do wonder how much better the D10 would be for the price. Since I do like my Prodigy I was going to upgrade to the HD which has a rollable 3 op amp configuration, but I don't feel I need to rush to do so, Plus depending upon how long I want to wait, the cost is between $75 and $130 for the card.

snip

I compared the AD8599 to the OPA627 and to me the AD8599 just didn't sound right. I wonder how the OPA627 would sound in place of the AD8599s in that config.

Another question I have is how much difference is there between the D10 and the Pico, Predator, 3move, and headsix that you own? And what I mean by that is are the differences just a preferred sound sig with different source and HPs combos, or is there more detail, wider stage, deeper bass, etc? I feel my Prodigy stomped the Icon Mobile also, so I am trying to get a feel for the improvement. (I know, I need to keep reading the portable amp forum.)

The AD8599 is picky about the amp's design and board layout and circuits, etc. It can sound good in one amp (like Stax SR-001) and not as good in another (iBasso D1). The OPA627 sounds good in the D10 but sucks the 5v battery down fast, so you can really only use it with the D10 plugged into the USB with the charge switch left on or then it will start inserting static into the music as the battery level drops.

Based on what I recall about the AD8066 in my D10 from 2 weeks ago, I think that will be the next best one to try back in the D10 again, and then I'll try a variety of buffers with it to further fine tune the sound.

As for D10 vs the Pico, Predator, 3move, and Headsix or others that I own and how they compare - I would say there are not huge differences between the sound of the top of the line amps (TOTL), but they each have a distinct sound sig and soundstage or instrument placement. Also, it makes a difference if they have a DAC or not, as that changes how it sounds as a source as well. See my big USB DAC amp review for details. In TOTL (out of what I have heard) I put amps like the D10, Micro Stack, Pico, Predator, 3MOVE, XM5 and TTVJ portable millett hybrid.

What makes them TOTL? It is basically the group of amps that have a greater sense of transparency, immersion, power, presence and size to the instruments (D10 stock or rolled, Predator, Pico, 3MOVE, XM5, D2 Viper rolled D3). Below that are those that are less costly and not quite as immersive and believable or sometimes having flaws or faults stand out (Nuforce, D2 Boa, D1 stock, D2 viper stock, V1, Lyrix, Headsix, T4, cMoy).

So, the amps can also be divided up into the High-Definition USB DAC amps like the D10, Pico, Micro Stack which extract the most detail air and ambience possible because of their upgraded DAC, and the Good-Definition ones like the Predator, 3MOVE and XM5 that use the PCM2702E (japanese version or not). So, some lower level DAC amps might have a superior amp section but the DAC isn't quite as good. Then the D3 and D2's DAC fits into a spot between the High and Good = we'll call it Better-Definition, but the D2 amp holds it back more than the D3.

So, if I use a very good DAC to feed the D10, or Predator, Pico, 3MOVE or XM5 I would be very happy with any of their amp sections with the majority of my headphones and IEM, and very small differences in quality. Except with the IE8, and then my amp rankings turn upside down just to tune the frequency response. At least choosing an amp to tune the IE8 means I don't have worry about EQ.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2,864 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why get the IE8's when you already have those worlds greatest, top secret, FYU ultra-phones?

I've gots to spend my rolls of cash somewhere. and IE8s are a better investment than the stock market.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2,865 of 8,119
Okay, this post is being made with the utmost caution, but I think I inadvertently may have stumbled onto a solution for the perfect IE8 tips for my ears. If someone else has posted about this, I am sorry, but didn't even know how to search this massive thread for it.

I have a Sony Visa card, and I had accumulated a very modest amount of points, enough to buy a $20 pair of Sony canalphones, the MDREX36V (black), just for kicks. I'm not even sure why I ordered them, maybe it was because they are the most expensive thing I could afford with my meager point total (hardly ever use the card).

Anyway, they arrived today and I took them out of the pack, didn't even listen to them, but noticed right away that their silicone flanges (singles) look pretty typical except for one small detail...they have a solid sound tube, not the usual flabby black material that the rest of the tip is made from. It's flexible, but much stiffer and also a different color (yellow).

The light went off...maybe I could stretch them over the IE8 sound tube. Sure enough, I somehow wrestled them over the wide IE8 tube, as the Sony posts are narrower (not the usual thickness for Sony canal phones, somewhat smaller). At first, I had some trouble getting them on, but once I shimmied them down onto the tubes, they seemed very secure.

The sound? A very strong emphasis on the mids and highs, and not a hint of sibilance. Because they sit on the very tip of the post (not flush against the IE8 body), the are extended a little deeper into my ear than say the OEM single flanges that came with the IE8s. So they go just a little deeper, and provide a perfect seal. The bass is still IE8 bass, but again, the sparkle is much more pronounced than I am hearing with the RE2 bi-flanges I have been happily using (and really the only tips that work for me, until now).

So far, I have only listened to a few tracks and I intend to spend more time with the IE8s while watching Syracuse (alma mater) take on WVU tonight. But on acoustic guitar, the sound is excellent. There is a little reverb, but I have to see how these tips compare to the W3s (now that I have found a tip solution for them too). Also want to compare the IE8s with these Sony tips to the PFEs amped as well.

I am at about 180-190 hours of burn-in right now, so I know I have yet to hit the max potential for mids/highs with the Senns, but I expect these new sleeves are gonna be keepers (now I have to get some more).

Comfort-wise, they are as comfy as any phones I have, with maybe one exception (the X10s, which never cease to amaze me with comfort, if not SQ).

Anyway, I am going to post some photos if I can, but just imagine black single flanges silicone tips (standard round, no big deal), but with much more rigid sound tubes that can be stretched over the phone post. That's these. I had never seen them before, maybe this is nothing new to Sony canalphone owners, but it seems that Sony's number of in-ear models has exploded since the old EX51/71 days. They also have added a different type of flange as well.

I hope these work, since I don't want to spend any more time or money on the search for the best IE8 tips (for my ears at least). I am already considering the UM56 for the Westone 3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back