Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #2,821 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i ask which would be more worth it? getting an ie8 with/without a fiio e5 or phonak audeo with ibasso t4, or westone 3? in regards to sound quality, i've saved enough for ie8, but apparently sennheiser has some production issues, so money was returned back to me...

The E5 doesn't do anything for my IE8, IMO it doesn't need it. And I can't comment on the T4 + PFE, but with the Icon Mobile + PFE I much preferred the IE8. I think it really comes down to which sound signature you like. The weaknesses of the PFEs IMO compared to the IE8s are the bass quantity is much less with the grey filters and the soundstage is slightly narrower (maybe 85-90% of the IE8), and with the black filters the bass response is close, but they do sound leaner and you lose detail in the treble compared to the IE8s. Oh, and with the black filters the soundstage shrinks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not placebo, I did test tones just for fun on them at around 30-40 hours and they could only produce up to 16khz. After 250 plus hours I can hear the test tone to the limit of my hearing 18khz. I have a feeling they go beyond my hearing.

I agree, if I could find it in my posts I listed that the IE8 went to 15.5K or 16K sometime during burn in and now I can hear 18K (probably the limit of my hearing also).

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #2,822 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i ask which would be more worth it? getting an ie8 with/without a fiio e5 or phonak audeo with ibasso t4, or westone 3? in regards to sound quality, i've saved enough for ie8, but apparently sennheiser has some production issues, so money was returned back to me...

I should be able to tell you very soon, have the t4 on the way and PFE replacements coming. You don't need an amp with IE8 imo. As average joe can tell you PFE and IE8 are very different beasts.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #2,823 of 8,119
Well, at 335 hours the bass is taming down a little again. It was far too bloated at zero hours, then toned down a bit at 24 hours, but was back up at some point a few days later and stayed that way for a week, and now somewhere between 270 hours and 335 hours it has come back down to less oppressive levels. And this is unrelated to changes in tips or position. It is still too much with some music but not quite as bad as before, and now with the right amp I may like these more than my old Image X10, and maybe as much as my Phonak Audeo. The Phonak with grey filters have a similarly wide soundstage like the IE8, but one that gets smaller with black filters while achieving a better frequency balance.

As promised. I also tried some more amps. With the concern that the bass was a bit much with D10, Predator, Pico, 3MOVE, XM5 and D2 Boa; I find the bass is much flatter and controlled with my cheapest DAC/amps - Nuforce Icon Mobile (via USB) and Vivid Audiotech V1. Go figure, but these two $99 DAC/amps have better synergy with IE8 to my ears in terms of controlling the bass, and for dealing with the slightly recessed mids of the IE8 (both amps have a forward mids quality and tight but flat bass, and they help my bass/mid issues with IE8, D2000 and the bass with Edition 9). They also sound good with my W3 (and X10 when I had them), but the Phonak need black filters to use with these amps.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2,824 of 8,119
Pretty amazing to think they are still evolving after 300 hours, but I'm happy to hear that it sounds like the changes are for the better!

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #2,825 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, at 335 hours the bass is taming down a little again.

What, are ya burnin em in at your minimum volume
wink_face.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #2,826 of 8,119
Larry, nice to hear the bass is calming down a little for you.

You said the Phonaks had the same wide soundstage as the IE8, is that amped or unamped? When I listen to the Phonaks, I hear quite a decent soundstage, but not comparable with the IE8 soundstage by any means (in my opinion). So I wondered if your impressions were based on amped or unamped. Also, have you had a chance yet to just sit back and listen to the IE8 for pure enjoyment, or are you still busy analysing?
biggrin.gif

Oh, and on the subject of "Raising Sand"... having established that it's a very bassy CD (slightly distorted and fuzzy by design) - wouldn't you agree that the IE8 is doing its job if it presents the bass as it really is, ie; very heavy? I know you said the bass is tolerable with your other headphones, but doesn't that mean that they're not presenting the bass as it is? The bass is overwhelming to me too on that CD, but it's supposed to be, so that tells me the IE8 is presenting the quantity very accurately. Would you agree that's a positive point?

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #2,827 of 8,119
Based on HeadphoneAddcts comments, my PFEs + D10 and PFEs + IM, both in USB-DAC mode, I agree with HeadphoneAddict, with more forward and bit lesser bass amp such as Nuforce IM should bring IE8s to more neutral sound.

So, is this pseudo equation PFEs + D10 = IE8s true ?
MSRP (USD) : 139 + 275 = 414, hmmm, very close to IE8s price
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #2,828 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people need to understand the Law of Diminishing Returns applies heavily in the headphone market.
If you don't got the money to burn, then don't jump in.

Oh I think if you call them, most of the retailors will quote you a lower price. How low will be YMMV.

What 'people' are you referring to?

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2,829 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, are ya burnin em in at your minimum volume
wink_face.gif

Medium to loud levels, about 12 o'clock low gain on iBasso D10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, nice to hear the bass is calming down a little for you.

You said the Phonaks had the same wide soundstage as the IE8, is that amped or unamped? When I listen to the Phonaks, I hear quite a decent soundstage, but not comparable with the IE8 soundstage by any means (in my opinion). So I wondered if your impressions were based on amped or unamped. Also, have you had a chance yet to just sit back and listen to the IE8 for pure enjoyment, or are you still busy analysing?
biggrin.gif

Amped - much of my listening is with a USB DAC amp on my Macbook pro, but some is on the iPhone or 4G Nano to confirm some of my findings. So, when I am comparing the IE8 to Phonak or W3, it is usually with the iBasso D10 optical or USB DAC/amp, Pico USB DAC/amp, XM5 USB DAC/amp or Nuforce Icon Mobile USB DAC/amp. With the D10 and Pico via Macbook Pro the Phonak have a great soundstage with grey filters.

Today was my time to try for musical enjoyment, although I did also watch a whole movie (Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist) with the Macbook and IE8 and it was good. I pretty much let these run without listening for the past 2.5 days after I posted my 270 hour review, and then tried them again this afternoon.

Oh, and on the subject of "Raising Sand"... having established that it's a very bassy CD (slightly distorted and fuzzy by design) - wouldn't you agree that the IE8 is doing its job if it presents the bass as it really is, ie; very heavy? I know you said the bass is tolerable with your other headphones, but doesn't that mean that they're not presenting the bass as it is? The bass is overwhelming to me too on that CD, but it's supposed to be, so that tells me the IE8 is presenting the quantity very accurately. Would you agree that's a positive point?

Yes, it is a bassy CD, but the Phonak and W3 handled it better. I picked that CD to test the IE8 exactly because of the recording's heavy bass. With the Nuforce or V1 amp, the IE8 represent "Raising Sand" more accurately. Other bass heavy recordings have been much tighter sounding on the IE8, such as Infected Mushroom "B.P. Empire" or Kenji Williams "Faces of Epiphany", allowing me to use the better amps with those artists and the IE8. Only today did I notice that the bass was a little less oppressive with the same amps that I used at 245-270 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on HeadphoneAddcts comments, my PFEs + D10 and PFEs + IM, both in USB-DAC mode, I agree with HeadphoneAddict, with more forward and bit lesser bass amp such as Nuforce IM should bring IE8s to more neutral sound.

So, is this pseudo equation PFEs + D10 = IE8s true ?
MSRP (USD) : 139 + 275 = 414, hmmm, very close to IE8s price
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure, and substitute the D10 for a Predator, Pico, 3MOVE, XM5 or even D3 and they all bring the PFE up to a higher level of performance. Those were the DAC/amps that I was using with the IE8 comparisons vs W3 and Phonak - and with all those amps the 245-270 hour IE8 did not hold up as well vs the W3 and Phonak due to the bass. But then today I tried the original amps as well as two $99 amps that I left out, which I remembered to have a sound signature that could benefit the IE8 more, and they did indeed help.

Nevertheless, the IE8 are sounding better with the top of the line amps as well today, better than at the 245-270 hour review, with the 335 hours on them now. I'm still only using the eBay bi-flange or the more comfortable RE2 bi-flange tips, as discussed in my 270 review.

PS: The only headphone I have found to have this long of an erratic roller-coaster burn-in was my Ultrasone headphones (iCans, Proline 2500, HFI780, Edition 9)

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2,830 of 8,119
I guess this erratic roller-coaster burn-in will keep u occupied and intrigued for another few weeks :p

I already enjoying IE8 after 230+ hours with own clear medium single flange. Currently burn in time reaching 256+ hours.

P.S: Does anyone find that the provided single flange tips suck? Thin and poor quality.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #2,831 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P.S: Does anyone find that the provided single flange tips suck? Thin and poor quality.

I'm surprised at their quality.

In fact, I'm wondering if Sennheiser is sending a message through the packaged tips, in that ... for best sound performance :

- we don't want you inserting the IE8 too far in your ears
- we don't want a complete seal to be achieved.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #2,832 of 8,119
so... ie8s with nuforce icon mobile is good? because the icon mobile is selling for $89 here in singapore, iirc

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #2,833 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...............Does anyone find that the provided single flange tips suck? Thin and poor quality.

They should have put the team that designed the box in charge of selecting the tips!
I have just ordered the eBay flanges, we'll see what happens here.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #2,834 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should have put the team that designed the box in charge of selecting the tips!
I have just ordered the eBay flanges, we'll see what happens here.

LOL. possibly the most over enginered box in history

those ebay double flange tips should help big time, made a huge difference to me

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #2,835 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. possibly the most over enginered box in history

those ebay double flange tips should help big time, made a huge difference to me

You got it about the box!!!

I was thinking that there must be something to those IE-8 tips when the packaging design is considered. Or maybe they need to move those packaging heads to the tip design department. Those guys in packaging are being wasted, BIG TIME!
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back