Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2,806 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, imho, IE8 sound not really that sensitive to fit compared to UM2 or SA6 i tried. Triple.fi also doesnt affected much. Probably the advantage of big bore diameter.

I've been thinking the same thing about earphones with the wide nozzle. They all seem so much more unconstrained than their narrow nozzle brethren.... such as the Atrios, which have recessed/choked mids and treble. The W3's had sibilance issues. The Sleeks and Klipsch image X10's weren't too bad, but still not as natural and open as the wide nozzle varieties. Don't even get me started on the Phonaks.......
ksc75smile.gif
Anyway, I think the wide opening has a lot to do with an open sound. I really wish FutureSonics would try a dynamic with the wide nozzle, I'd love to hear that.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2,807 of 8,119
So, an update on sound that I'm hearing... and keep in mind that I've only done any overnight burn in during the first couple nights, and only with music playing in those instances- I seem to be hearing a marked improvement in treble clarity and extension. All my burn in has been with everyday listening since the first couple nights, and I would estimate I have around 150 total hours on this set now. Yesterday I realized I'm hearing a good deal more clarity than I remember, and it's not a subtle thing. I'm sure digging what I'm hearing. Placebo? Doubtful.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #2,808 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, an update on sound that I'm hearing... and keep in mind that I've only done any overnight burn in during the first couple nights, and only with music playing in those instances- I seem to be hearing a marked improvement in treble clarity and extension. All my burn in has been with everyday listening since the first couple nights, and I would estimate I have around 150 total hours on this set now. Yesterday I realized I'm hearing a good deal more clarity than I remember, and it's not a subtle thing. I'm sure digging what I'm hearing. Placebo? Doubtful.

Yes, as reported in this thread many times
wink_face.gif
Some people think the IE8 has too much treble!

My PK3s sound dark compared to the IE8s. Actually I can't listen to any of my other headphones, speakers, or car audio after long listening sessions with the IE8s. Everything just sounds so wrong afterwards.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #2,809 of 8,119
can i ask which would be more worth it? getting an ie8 with/without a fiio e5 or phonak audeo with ibasso t4, or westone 3? in regards to sound quality, i've saved enough for ie8, but apparently sennheiser has some production issues, so money was returned back to me...

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #2,811 of 8,119
no idea. just that the person who organised the mo said that instead of coming in this friday (tmr), because of some issues, it will be delayed until end of the month, and since there is a promotion at stereo for around the same price as the ie8, i just wanted to ask.

so? anyone?

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #2,812 of 8,119
This is the second time i heard bout this and it's also related to MO from Singapore too. I think something fishy happening there instead of production issues. The organizer using the money collected for something else? Afaik, there's no production issue on IE8. Ample stock in US, Europe and other parts of the world.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2,813 of 8,119
Sorry for not answering your question. If u like UM2 and CX500 sound, give IE8 a shot. U will like it. Quite similar sound signature but better overall. I never tried W3 nor Phonak though.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2,814 of 8,119
ok. no idea what's happening though. so i'm back with my money. back to topic. which is better?

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #2,815 of 8,119
If you're reading this thread, chances are most people will tell you to go for the IE8 - after all this thread is called "Sennheiser IE8 Appreciation Thread"

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i ask which would be more worth it? getting an ie8 with/without a fiio e5 or phonak audeo with ibasso t4, or westone 3? in regards to sound quality, i've saved enough for ie8, but apparently sennheiser has some production issues, so money was returned back to me...

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #2,816 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok. no idea what's happening though. so i'm back with my money. back to topic. which is better?

Have you tried HeadRoom? I recently, just over the last 10 days, got my IE8's through them!

As to which is better, that's a very personal thing. If you can't try them both, then I'd suggest flipping a coin or going for the one that's more available to you.
dt880smile.png
I very much doubt that you'll be unhappy with either of them.

I find them to be very close in performance especially with regard to mids and bass extension. It will take me a while to decide. So far, the W3 has a frequency response that's a bit more sparkly and hence prone to sibiliance issues with some recordings. Their sensitivity is about the same.

The W3 are better ergonometrically, i.e., providing an easier and more comfy fitting. However, unlike the IE-8, the cable for the W3 is not detachable and hence changeable. The IE-8 also has an adjustable base response while the W3 doesn't - I've not had to adjust the IE-8's base so this feature is of no consequence for me.

So for flexibility with cabling and sound adjustment, as well as a very good sound signature, I'd lean towards recommending the IE-8's to you. However, if ergonometrics mean a lot to you, and you wish for the BA design as well as great sound, then go for the W3.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #2,817 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried HeadRoom? I recently, just over the last 10 days, got my IE8's through them!

I too ordered through HeadRoom. They were back ordered for 7-10 days, but after I placed my order they had a cancellation? Received mine in 3 days!

I tried all 3....IE6, 7, and now the 8. I ordered the 6 and 7 from J&R. They have a 30 day return policy WITHOUT RESTOCKING FEES, as long as you return all the original packaging.

The difference between the 6 and 7? A fairly noticeable difference overall, but VERY close. The price difference is close as well. 160.00 vs 190.00. For 30.00 I would recommend bypassing the 6 and getting the 7.

As for the difference between the 7's and 8's....quite significant. I immediately noticed the larger sound stage on the 8's. Also, they sounded more 'complete' or 'full'. Please forgive my lack of audiophile speak. I haven't been around here long enough.

Is the price difference worth it? To me it is, but 120.00 more!?!?!?
Not sure if the average person would want to fork over that much more for the 8's. By the way, HeadRoom currently sells them for 319.00. J&R, as well as most of the other resellers in the US have them at 449.00.

As for burn in....I'm an atheist.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #2,819 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not placebo, I did test tones just for fun on them at around 30-40 hours and they could only produce up to 16khz. After 250 plus hours I can hear the test tone to the limit of my hearing 18khz. I have a feeling they go beyond my hearing.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #2,820 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too ordered through HeadRoom. They were back ordered for 7-10 days, but after I placed my order they had a cancellation? Received mine in 3 days!

I tried all 3....IE6, 7, and now the 8. I ordered the 6 and 7 from J&R. They have a 30 day return policy WITHOUT RESTOCKING FEES, as long as you return all the original packaging.

The difference between the 6 and 7? A fairly noticeable difference overall, but VERY close. The price difference is close as well. 160.00 vs 190.00. For 30.00 I would recommend bypassing the 6 and getting the 7.

As for the difference between the 7's and 8's....quite significant. I immediately noticed the larger sound stage on the 8's. Also, they sounded more 'complete' or 'full'. Please forgive my lack of audiophile speak. I haven't been around here long enough.

Is the price difference worth it? To me it is, but 120.00 more!?!?!?
Not sure if the average person would want to fork over that much more for the 8's. By the way, HeadRoom currently sells them for 319.00. J&R, as well as most of the other resellers in the US have them at 449.00.

As for burn in....I'm an atheist.

people need to understand the Law of Diminishing Returns applies heavily in the headphone market.
If you don't got the money to burn, then don't jump in.

Oh I think if you call them, most of the retailors will quote you a lower price. How low will be YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back