Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #2,866 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, this post is being made with the utmost caution, but I think I inadvertently may have stumbled onto a solution for the perfect IE8 tips for my ears. If someone else has posted about this, I am sorry, but didn't even know how to search this massive thread for it.

I have a Sony Visa card, and I had accumulated a very modest amount of points, enough to buy a $20 pair of Sony canalphones, the MDREX36V (black), just for kicks. I'm not even sure why I ordered them, maybe it was because they are the most expensive thing I could afford with my meager point total (hardly ever use the card).

Anyway, they arrived today and I took them out of the pack, didn't even listen to them, but noticed right away that their silicone flanges (singles) look pretty typical except for one small detail...they have a solid sound tube, not the usual flabby black material that the rest of the tip is made from. It's flexible, but much stiffer and also a different color (yellow).

The light went off...maybe I could stretch them over the IE8 sound tube. Sure enough, I somehow wrestled them over the wide IE8 tube, as the Sony posts are narrower (not the usual thickness for Sony canal phones, somewhat smaller). At first, I had some trouble getting them on, but once I shimmied them down onto the tubes, they seemed very secure.

The sound? A very strong emphasis on the mids and highs, and not a hint of sibilance. Because they sit on the very tip of the post (not flush against the IE8 body), the are extended a little deeper into my ear than say the OEM single flanges that came with the IE8s. So they go just a little deeper, and provide a perfect seal. The bass is still IE8 bass, but again, the sparkle is much more pronounced than I am hearing with the RE2 bi-flanges I have been happily using (and really the only tips that work for me, until now).

So far, I have only listened to a few tracks and I intend to spend more time with the IE8s while watching Syracuse (alma mater) take on WVU tonight. But on acoustic guitar, the sound is excellent. There is a little reverb, but I have to see how these tips compare to the W3s (now that I have found a tip solution for them too). Also want to compare the IE8s with these Sony tips to the PFEs amped as well.

I am at about 180-190 hours of burn-in right now, so I know I have yet to hit the max potential for mids/highs with the Senns, but I expect these new sleeves are gonna be keepers (now I have to get some more).

Comfort-wise, they are as comfy as any phones I have, with maybe one exception (the X10s, which never cease to amaze me with comfort, if not SQ).

Anyway, I am going to post some photos if I can, but just imagine black single flanges silicone tips (standard round, no big deal), but with much more rigid sound tubes that can be stretched over the phone post. That's these. I had never seen them before, maybe this is nothing new to Sony canalphone owners, but it seems that Sony's number of in-ear models has exploded since the old EX51/71 days. They also have added a different type of flange as well.

I hope these work, since I don't want to spend any more time or money on the search for the best IE8 tips (for my ears at least). I am already considering the UM56 for the Westone 3s.

I am back to the head-direct RE2 large clear bi-flange tips, just for some extra comfort, even though the eBay clear bi-flange tips sound similar. The only part that really goes inside my ear is the smaller tip flange which is the size of a medium single flange, but this also provides more support like the Sony tips. The second larger flange section of the bi-flange just sits at the opening of the ear canal, but not inside. This basically makes the sound tube longer like you are getting with the Sony.

I have some replacement Sony tips from office max that are not as good as the ones that actually come with the Sony. Those are on my Denon C700 at the moment. I'm pretty much done trying tips, except for a pair of Shure E2c tips I want to try later.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2,867 of 8,119
tstarn06, those newer Sony "hybrid" silicones originally shipped with the EX700s (in 7 different sizes
eek.gif
), and are also available (in SS/S/M/L sizes only) in Sony's EPEX10A pack. average_joe (among others) was inquiring about them earlier, thinking they may be a good fit for the IE8. Glad to hear they are for you. I snagged one of the few EPEX10A packs available on Amazon USA earlier this week, so I should get a chance to try them out too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #2,868 of 8,119
Wow, guess I got lucky. They are a little tricky getting onto the IE8 tube, but I used the angled approach, and managed to get them on. No need to stuff them with foam or anything. They just seem to work as is, so far.

Update: Just checked Amazon and they had two packs, and I had $17 left on a gift certificate, so I got a pack too, free. Thanks for the info.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #2,869 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I snagged one of the few EPEX10A packs available on Amazon USA earlier this week,
so I should get a chance to try them out too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't fit the Sony tips on. I thought the UE tips were hard to get on, till I tried the Sony ones, the inner core's even narrower than the UE tips
frown.gif
- From left to right:

1. Sony regular. 2. Sony hybrid. 3. UE silicon. 4. Senn Foams (Soamies)

tips-1.jpg

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2,870 of 8,119
It ain't easy, but I did it, and they fit the upper part of the tip (5-6cm), and just enough to be firmly on (so they don't come off in your ear). I angled the lip of the hybrid tip on the edge, then sort of pressed it over the top. Again, it took me some effort, but I managed it. I tried the UE tips, but they ruined the sound sig for me (bass rolled off, mids and highs too much).

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #2,871 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't fit the Sony tips on. I thought the UE tips were hard to get on, till I tried the Sony ones, the inner core's even narrower than the UE tips
frown.gif
- From left to right:

1. Sony regular. 2. Sony hybrid. 3. UE silicon. 4. Senn Foams (Soamies)

tips-1.jpg

That sounds vaguely familiar - kinda like as hard as trying to install Shure black olives on an Ety ER6i isn't it?

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #2,872 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds vaguely familiar - kinda like as hard as trying to install Shure black olives on an Ety ER6i isn't it?

Don't know about the ER6i, but it seemed to be as hard as trying to fit a Shure orange foamie on a C700.

Something I also never managed
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2,874 of 8,119
Quote:

Don't know about the ER6i, but it seemed to be as hard as trying to fit a Shure orange foamie on a C700.

Something I also never managed
icon10.gif

Yeah, that's the ticket - now I remember!

c700er6i.jpg

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2,875 of 8,119
Finally made my move after 1 week struggle, I become the member of IE8 finally......

Anyone using Zune 30g/80g? wanna to grab one cos I kind of impressed the SQ after I tried a few days before. Natural but still having sparkle and good soundstage. Now I am using sony A728, is this worth?

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #2,876 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally made my move after 1 week struggle, I become the member of IE8 finally......

Anyone using Zune 30g/80g? wanna to grab one cos I kind of impressed the SQ after I tried a few days before. Natural but still having sparkle and good soundstage. Now I am using sony A728, is this worth?

I have the A829 and recently picked up a Zune (for the second time.) The IE8 sounds great with the Zune, you won't be disappointed, and the big IE8 soundstage goes great with it. And if the bass isn't enough, you can always tweak the bass on the IE8.

Larry - I have to scroll for 3 miles to the right to see your reminder of my failure to mod the Shure orange foam tips! Aaah, those were the days
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #2,877 of 8,119
I tried the Sony tips for the EX700s and was able to stretch it on, but it seemed to choke off the treble for me. Also, I received 1, and the 1 I tried didn't do it for me so I canceled the 2nd which was on back order and sent the one I received back. I am using regular (thick) single flange tips which do work with a de-cored comply under it.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #2,879 of 8,119
Quote:

I have the A829 and recently picked up a Zune (for the second time.) The IE8 sounds great with the Zune, you won't be disappointed, and the big IE8 soundstage goes great with it. And if the bass isn't enough, you can always tweak the bass on the IE8.

Larry - I have to scroll for 3 miles to the right to see your reminder of my failure to mod the Shure orange foam tips! Aaah, those were the days
ksc75smile.gif

I re-sized it - better?

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #2,880 of 8,119
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

Nice to know. Having this feeling already when I first heard the sound coming zune. It will be a match with IE8. Dynamic and soundstage ...wow, also stomp the artificial sound sig of sony by its natural sound

Thx for tstarn06 , too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back