Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #8,011 of 8,119
I feel we should compile a list of combinations of IE8/80 paired with DAPs and/or AMPs having great synergy...

I will share my experience with IE8 pairings:
The best pairing for my IE8 I've found till date is with my iphone 4.
The IE8 does not sound good with Galaxy S3 and definitely not with DX50 (lot of noise and hissing).

I am particularly interested in hearing about IE8 paired with RSA amps, like RSA Shadow, Mustang, and the Pico Slim....Anyone??

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #8,012 of 8,119
I tho
I feel we should compile a list of combinations of IE8/80 paired with DAPs and/or AMPs having great synergy...

I will share my experience with IE8 pairings:
The best pairing for my IE8 I've found till date is with my iphone 4.
The IE8 does not sound good with Galaxy S3 and definitely not with DX50 (lot of noise and hissing).

I am particularly interested in hearing about IE8 paired with RSA amps, like RSA Shadow, Mustang, and the Pico Slim....Anyone??

I thought that the iPhone 4S was pretty special.
The 5S seems to me to be better in some areas that are useful with the 8's.
Top end detail and separation of the frequencies.
Maybe not as relaxed and natural as the 4S though.
I think the Headstage Arrow is very good with them.
I like the cross feed setting.
With the 4S I used the treble boost.
With the 5S I do not
I prefer the Arrow to my Graham Slee Voyager
(now sold)
I honestly do not know how much my impressions are coloured by placebo and expectation bias though!

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #8,015 of 8,119
  That's why I'm asking... And because a number of people here claim an improvement of some sort. :p

Never got around to trying with my IE8, but tried with my TF10....a silver cable does affect sonic quality in a good way. So, I guess it would be the same with IE8.

But, the cables you mentioned are "silver plated" not silver, so can't say how much they would improve upon the stock cable.
You should go for a pure silver cable, if you are looking to improve upon SQ of your IE8. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #8,017 of 8,119
Hats off to Sennhieser UK. My IE8's would only work on an ie8i cable when L&R was transposed. This meant that the mic and buttons were on right hand side. If worked find but confused me as the connectors are asymmetrical so you can't connect the poles the wrong way but could easily swap sides.

I asked Senn to take a look at them and they returned a brand new retail set of ie8i.

Just live that kind of customer service! With ie800's in my bag now I could have sold on the 8's to afford the iphone cable for them. I can't do that as I feel such loyalty to a company that helps me out that much.

Ie8's rocking with Pink Floyd on the train tonight with ie800 and JH13 taking a back seat for a while!

I am in no way connected with Senn other than as a customer!

Sceptre

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #8,018 of 8,119
Hats off to Sennhieser UK. My IE8's would only work on an ie8i cable when L&R was transposed. This meant that the mic and buttons were on right hand side. If worked find but confused me as the connectors are asymmetrical so you can't connect the poles the wrong way but could easily swap sides.

I asked Senn to take a look at them and they returned a brand new retail set of ie8i.

Just live that kind of customer service! With ie800's in my bag now I could have sold on the 8's to afford the iphone cable for them. I can't do that as I feel such loyalty to a company that helps me out that much.

Ie8's rocking with Pink Floyd on the train tonight with ie800 and JH13 taking a back seat for a while!

I am in no way connected with Senn other than as a customer!

Sceptre

hi, also having a problem with mu ie8i. im losing volume in the right hand side. i have 2 pairs of these incidentally. just fired off an email to sennheiser ireland, although these were bought as a present and proof of purchase wont be easy to provide. these ones got hardly any use and im disapointed with this failure.

will see if they help me out, i also have hd650s and momentums at the moment, great brand loyalty shown over the years and im on the hunt for hd 700s. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #8,019 of 8,119
My ie8s failed, disappointingly, 2 months outwith their warranty.

I haven't really bought any iems in that price-range since.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #8,020 of 8,119
I've just past a 1000 posts so I just thought I would mark that by giving the IE8's some love.
I've been using them for a few years now. With custom tips from ACS.
I have tried a couple of other options but always end up back on the 8's.
They are a frustrating 'phone. They do so much right but that mid bass hump is just wrong.
Straight out of my iPhone 5S they sound as bad as the day I bought them. No burn in there IMHO. Even after a few hundred hours.
Through my Headstage Arrow, which is a very clean little amp, with a bit of treble boost they sound pretty damn good.
If I have learned anything on here it is that nothing in audio is perfect.
I could, and probably will! Waste £100's trying to find better but would probably just find different.
Thanks to all who have interacted with me during my time on Headfi. Good and bad it's taught me a lot. About Audio. About forums. And maybe even a little about life!
Thanks again. :)

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #8,021 of 8,119
I am looking to buy a silver cable for my IE80's and am located in the US.  Can anyone tell me are there any reputable dealers I can buy from.   I did some research on ebay last night and saw several different kinds, is there any one particular I should be looking for.

I would prefer to buy within the US if possible, I just don't know if any US dealers carry these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #8,022 of 8,119
  I am looking to buy a silver cable for my IE80's and am located in the US.  Can anyone tell me are there any reputable dealers I can buy from.   I did some research on ebay last night and saw several different kinds, is there any one particular I should be looking for.

I would prefer to buy within the US if possible, I just don't know if any US dealers carry these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike

I know moon audio makes them and also whiplash audio

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #8,023 of 8,119

Easy answer: Ted's Headphone Lounge: LINK

Great reputation, quality, & price. Located in Oregon.  His Silver Litz IEM Cable is highly recommended.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #8,024 of 8,119
how can i know if the ie80 are fake a guy here in israel is selling an ie80 for about 250 usd but has no receipt he said he lost it as  it was bought about a year ago from a store in the USA that closed down 

is there a way to detect fake ones ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back