Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #8,043 of 8,119
The orange graph for the MAX settting is taken from Goldenears' measurements. The green graph is a rough estimate based on my listening tests.

Hmm. Not exactly scientific. If you enjoy your IE8's more that way then all good and certainly worth trying. I use custom tips so it's not for me. I do find EQ to be the very thing to alter the sound of my 8's.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #8,044 of 8,119
Hmm. Not exactly scientific. If you enjoy your IE8's more that way then all good and certainly worth trying. I use custom tips so it's not for me. I do find EQ to be the very thing to alter the sound of my 8's.

I think I have a basic understanding of how venting and acoustic resistance affects dynamic IEMs, however I'm not a scientist. Back when I had the JVC FX700, I sent my pair to Rin Choi for measurements and mentioned that I thought a leaky seal would tame their bass quite nicely. Rin measured the effect of acoustic leak on the FX700 (scroll down to "ON SECOND THOUGHT #4") and confirmed my subjective findings. So one could argue, that this mod, which ensures a controlled amount of acoustic leak, isn't entirely unscientific either.
wink.gif

But above all it's a result of hours of DIY tinkering and fun with IEMs, and quite a few people have been happy with it on their JVCs. I've only recently dusted off my trusty old IE8s and feel that it works pretty well on them too, so I thought I'd share it here. Of course everyone is welcome to try or ignore it as they please.
smile_phones.gif

FWIW, here's my stance on EQ:

First of all, I'm not opposed to EQ at all. However, ...

1. ... many DAPs have poor EQ implementation, so you'll need something like Rockbox, or an IOS / Android based source for really high quality EQ.
  2. ... if you're using your IEMs with several DAPs and / or a stationary source, getting the same EQ on all of them can be a pita.
  3. ... modding will change the signature consistently and once-for-all, no matter what source you use.
  4. ... modding can achieve more than EQ, e.g change transients or equalize air pressure.

On the other hand, some issues like e.g. treble spikes are much easier to correct with EQ than modding. 

Bottom line, I think the most important thing is to stay open-minded und simply try out what works best for you.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #8,045 of 8,119
i just now put some electrical isolation tape over the bass settings thingy, and it works a charm. i thought i should try different types of tape, as i put the settings of bass ports to max, then applied tape... is there any other worthy mod for ie8?...
the tape mod completley destroys the air flow, and it kind of puts some pressure to the ear...

after 4 minutes, did the mod on the last page too.. does not make a world of difference. the sound is still not perfect, too less bass now. at least the mid bass 100 hz region is not that bad anymore. now. completley covering the bass thingy was not a great ideea, i think about punching small holes in it could improove the sound.

the two mods cannot work in the same time. they destroy the bass completley.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #8,046 of 8,119
  i just now put some electrical isolation tape over the bass settings thingy, and it works a charm. i thought i should try different types of tape, as i put the settings of bass ports to max, then applied tape... is there any other worthy mod for ie8?...
the tape mod completley destroys the air flow, and it kind of puts some pressure to the ear...

after 4 minutes, did the mod on the last page too.. does not make a world of difference. the sound is still not perfect, too less bass now. at least the mid bass 100 hz region is not that bad anymore. now. completley covering the bass thingy was not a great ideea, i think about punching small holes in it could improove the sound.

the two mods cannot work in the same time. they destroy the bass completley.

For the tape mod, pierce only a single small hole with a needle right above the bass dial, that should do the trick.

I haven't tried both mods together, but you're probably right it might be too much and sound unnatural.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #8,047 of 8,119

For the tape mod, pierce only a single small hole with a needle right above the bass dial, that should do the trick.

I haven't tried both mods together, but you're probably right it might be too much and sound unnatural.

and i failed... the hole is healed because of the tape which is super tape made for electrical dangers. what an amuzing thing to happen. i ended pasting two layers one over another, leaving an opening, the sound is actually great. i get mids, bass, treble. the only downside is that they clip at very high volumes, and the treble is much less in quanity than it was. on the other hand, soundstage, and everything is so much better, the entire sound is more enjoyable. 

i only miss some brightness in the mid treble region... it is a little too dark...

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #8,048 of 8,119
and i failed... the hole is healed because of the tape which is super tape made for electrical dangers. what an amuzing thing to happen. i ended pasting two layers one over another, leaving an opening, the sound is actually great. i get mids, bass, treble. the only downside is that they clip at very high volumes, and the treble is much less in quanity than it was. on the other hand, soundstage, and everything is so much better, the entire sound is more enjoyable. 

i only miss some brightness in the mid treble region... it is a little too dark...

I don't understand why you guys don't use EQ. 2or3 dB down at 100hz. 2dB lift at 14-16 KH. Job done. :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #8,049 of 8,119
I don't understand why you guys don't use EQ. 2or3 dB down at 100hz. 2dB lift at 14-16 KH. Job done.
smily_headphones1.gif

i use fiio x5, EQ doesn't work when it is used as a DAC
even if i will eq through foobar, i still use VLC and MPHC for videos..
i think that modding brings better sound than eq-ing. for example, i now have visceral bass, which is even better than before, now the mid bass is fine, but i still need more treble. i will eq for more treble, but eq never got the mid bass hump clean, no matter what. and the 100hz region is bumped by more like +6db, the eq kind of makes the sound thin if i push it that much. 

have you tried the mods?... they are cheap, almost free, and sound nice~

tomorrow i am going to buy cheap medial ear tips for hearing protection, punch holes in them, use them as complys, as i cannot seem to buy comply foam tips...

also ::: dat mids! they sound amazing now, without being veiled or anything.
i even thought of removing the metal mesh, but i have no ideea how to do so.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #8,051 of 8,119
Don't do that! The mesh is there to prevent brain dust and/or ear mites from attacking your 8's.

This is an ear mite: 

...once they discover your IE8's they will build nests inside and they will sound muffled.
!!!

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #8,052 of 8,119
i use fiio x5, EQ doesn't work when it is used as a DAC
even if i will eq through foobar, i still use VLC and MPHC for videos..
i think that modding brings better sound than eq-ing. for example, i now have visceral bass, which is even better than before, now the mid bass is fine, but i still need more treble. i will eq for more treble, but eq never got the mid bass hump clean, no matter what. and the 100hz region is bumped by more like +6db, the eq kind of makes the sound thin if i push it that much. 

have you tried the mods?... they are cheap, almost free, and sound nice~

tomorrow i am going to buy cheap medial ear tips for hearing protection, punch holes in them, use them as complys, as i cannot seem to buy comply foam tips...

also ::: dat mids! they sound amazing now, without being veiled or anything.
i even thought of removing the metal mesh, but i have no ideea how to do so.

I've tried the tape mod. With and without a pin hole in the centre. Didn't like it. Sounded phasey to me. I guess we all find our own way. It seems the one thing that we agree is that the IE8 is flawed.
As long as you are enjoying your music that's great. You don't need to convince me. :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #8,053 of 8,119

Don't do that! The mesh is there to prevent brain dust and/or ear mites from attacking your 8's.

This is an ear mite: 
...once they discover your IE8's they will build nests inside and they will sound muffled.

you do know that this is an animal infection much more than human, right?..

also, i really do consider taking the metal parts out, if it will be possible without destroying anything. it should bring up the clarity just where it should be at it's max!

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #8,054 of 8,119
Hey guys,

I have been aware of this forum for quite a while now, but didn't get so sucked-in because I am still in an age that I cannot spent a lot of money on sound. What you guys really helped with though, is point me to a very lucky direction, so I managed to sneak in a pair of fairly-new, though second-hand, IE8s, and the love and hate game began, almost a month ago actually :D

Well long story short, I still have a lot of pages to go through on this thread, although I got most of the vaiable information for now, and am a very happy Tape-Mod camper, using the right ammounts of EQ and Tidal straigth from my iPhone 6, which is kinda nice, coming from a DJ-pair of "over the head", which I know most of you would not even consider, so I might spare that note from my first post here. :) hehe

Why I felt like reviving this thread is the fact that I saw people saying that they're having a hard time finding real/genuine IE8s on the market.

The thing is that where I currently live (Berlin) I saw two pair at a Saturn shop nearby. It was shocking to see they costed more than the IE80s :D , but I have to add that they were the IE8i model (so with the iPhone control-talk type of thing). Here is a picture with the product and its price - I am still a little bit baffled whether or not people really meant the IE8is including, or just the stock IE8s, that they need, but I would gladly assist anyone who is willing to get a pair.

That's it from me, hope some of you guys still enjoy your IE8s, they are quite the tiny little miracles, for me santimentally-weighted as well, since they are my first pair of IEMs/In-Earphones.

Happy listening :)

2gxfmdf.jpg

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #8,055 of 8,119
Hey guys,

I have been aware of this forum for quite a while now, but didn't get so sucked-in because I am still in an age that I cannot spent a lot of money on sound.

Sounds like you have discovered that you do not have to spend a fortune to get good sound.
Very wise not to get sucked into all the hype.
Enjoy your 'phones and above all your music. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back