Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #841 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwatson87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, this is my first post after lurking here for a couple of days.

So I've had the IE8s for about a week, and I'm absolutely in love with their soundstage and clarity. The bass has tightened up, at first it was very boomy and drowned out the mids but after about 60 hours it's almost perfect, and the high mids/low trebles that were a bit recessed have really cleared up and come forward. I just listened to the whole buena vista social club album and it was audio bliss....

Anyways, despite being crazy about the sound these things make, I simply cannot get the left monitor to sit comfortably in my ear. I've tried lots of tips, i've tried reversing them and wearing them pointing downwards, but nothing works. When I realised they don't sit as far into your ear canals as shures and stopped trying to force them in the sound improved a fair bit and the comfort was a little better, but still the left one just doesn't sit right.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if I should try some comply tips? My alternative would be to return them (amazon) and get the se530s that I'd originally looked at, I'd hate to see them go, but the best sound in the world is no good if you can't use the damn things for more than 10 minutes comfortably... I'm not totally sure if I can return to amazon (uk) given that I've opened and used them, then again everything in the box looks as new and I dont think you could tell. If I did decide these weren't for me how much do you think they'd go for on eBay/the FS forum?

Thanks for your help.

or you could just get custom molds. it will improve the sound as well as the isolation. win-win in my book.

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #842 of 8,119
It's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure it's actually the tips that are hurting my ear as much as the corner of the actual driver body. Digs into the cartilage at the top of my tragus. It's very strange, I put them in and don't know they're there, super comfortable for about 5 minutes, then the left one starts to get sore...

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #843 of 8,119
Quote:

So I've had the IE8s for about a week, and I'm absolutely in love with their soundstage and clarity. The bass has tightened up, at first it was very boomy and drowned out the mids but after about 60 hours it's almost perfect, and the high mids/low trebles that were a bit recessed have really cleared up and come forward. I just listened to the whole buena vista social club album and it was audio bliss....

Anyways, despite being crazy about the sound these things make, I simply cannot get the left monitor to sit comfortably in my ear. I've tried lots of tips, i've tried reversing them and wearing them pointing downwards, but nothing works. When I realised they don't sit as far into your ear canals as shures and stopped trying to force them in the sound improved a fair bit and the comfort was a little better, but still the left one just doesn't sit right.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if I should try some comply tips? My alternative would be to return them (amazon) and get the se530s that I'd originally looked at, I'd hate to see them go, but the best sound in the world is no good if you can't use the damn things for more than 10 minutes comfortably... I'm not totally sure if I can return to amazon (uk) given that I've opened and used them, then again everything in the box looks as new and I dont think you could tell. If I did decide these weren't for me how much do you think they'd go for on eBay/the FS forum?

Thanks for your help.

I use the Comply T-400s to great effect; no problems with them staying in. Amazon sells a 3pr pack for $14.99 with free shipping.

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #844 of 8,119
Quote:

It's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure it's actually the tips that are hurting my ear as much as the corner of the actual driver body. Digs into the cartilage at the top of my tragus. It's very strange, I put them in and don't know they're there, super comfortable for about 5 minutes, then the left one starts to get sore...

I had the same issue with the included tips since I had to push them in so they would seal. An hour later, my ear hurt. The Complys don't need to be inserted very far for a good seal, so no pain.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #846 of 8,119
Quote:

Thanks JW, that's very reassuring. I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of t400s and see what they're like, I really want these to work out! Did you feel they improved the isolation as well?

Yes, without question the isolation is better. Again, the comfort factor is a big plus if you like to listen for long stretches of time. The only downside besides the wear factor is you may not be happy with the effect they have on the upper frequencies if you like things sparkly.

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #848 of 8,119
Quote:

Thanks for your help.

If you are using silicons, try this (I get a perfect seal every time):

1. Insert your tip downwards towards the bottom of your ear canal just at the opening. Don't insert it too deep initially.
2. Now rotate them forward (so clockwise for the left ear, counter-clockwise for the right)
3. Stop when the tip in your left ear is at your 10 o'clock, and the right at 2 o'clock.
4. At this point rotate the IEM in small circles and try to pull it out a bit, and you should feel a suction from the tip it has made with your ear. This is when you have a good seal.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #849 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using silicons, try this (I get a perfect seal every time):

1. Insert your tip downwards towards the bottom of your ear canal just at the opening. Don't insert it too deep initially.
2. Now rotate them forward (so clockwise for the left ear, counter-clockwise for the right)
3. Stop when the tip in your left ear is at your 10 o'clock, and the right at 2 o'clock.
4. At this point rotate the IEM in small circles and try to pull it out a bit, and you should feel a suction from the tip it has made with your ear. This is when you have a good seal.

Also one must:
1. Lift right leg up to chest.
2. Turn south while performing step 1.
3. Baseball cap must be worn backwards at all stages.
4. Home has to be devoid of all metal objects.
and lastly..
5. Extremely tight underwear must be worn while inserting tips.

Hope this helps.
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #851 of 8,119
Quote:

But I wasn't wearing any underwear.

Gross.
biggrin.gif

'Kay, so Hi. I currently have the Shure SE530 and am considering getting the IE8. I have a few questions. First of all, one of the biggest gripes I have with the SE530 is the rolled off highs. After burn-in, how do the IE8's highs compare to the SE530's in terms of extension, quality, quantity, etc.? Second, do tips that fit on the SE530 also fit on the IE8? Last, does the SE530 beat the IE8 (beyond personal preference) in any areas that's worth noting?

Thanks

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #852 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4. Home has to be devoid of all metal objects.

Just being curious how you posted this reply without metal objects, let alone opened that Chianti?
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #853 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just being curious how you posted this reply without metal objects, let alone opened that Chianti?
biggrin.gif

When you insert the tips you must perform the above, when posting on the net or drinking Chianti I use my floor speakers for music!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #854 of 8,119
Quote:

But I wasn't wearing any underwear.

By doing the above, you tend to open your ear canals up ever so slightly. This allows you to insert the tip just that little bit better and after removing the underwear, the canals seal around the tips perfectly providing super isolation.

(You didn't think I could back up my nonsense).
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #855 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbrent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, without question the isolation is better. Again, the comfort factor is a big plus if you like to listen for long stretches of time. The only downside besides the wear factor is you may not be happy with the effect they have on the upper frequencies if you like things sparkly.

The isolation may be slightly better with the Complys but IMO that no way equals out the disadvantage of the dampening of the highs. I found that the Comply tips dont produce the full sound potential on these IEMs.
I use some JVC silicone tips i've been using for a long time. Very similar to the standard Sony and Senn silicone tips but produced to a much a higher quality. They are much thicker which results in better isolation, more durability, and none of the annoying flip-back that happens to most silicone tips do when pulled out of the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back