Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #826 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by musictang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine burned around 20 hours, high-mid-low getting harmonies quality sound...just that the punchy bass amount drop to the stand i starting to worry.. i am a basshaed, i got set to highest Bass EQ(Sony player have high bass EQ) to get more boom.

i need to check into Comply tip for greater comfort and isolation...

I think you will find the T-400s will improve the bass, although the attack may suffer just a tad. When I tried all the supplied tips, I liked the double silicones the best and the punch was better than the Complys, but the comfort wasn't as good. Franky, no matter how good an earphone sounds, it's useless if they bother you when wearing them.

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #827 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes this is a worry, this poster is the second that I've read here that's chosen their phones by appearance. They must have fish eyes as they can see themselves wearing them!!

i think i understand. if i were to drop 300-500 on a pair of earphones, they had better at least look good to me. personally, i find the w3 to be ugly and the tf10 to be the best looking. however, i would never buy them as i don't like ones that stick out that much.

i bought the audio technica ck10 and have never been so happy with a pair of heapdhones. they also, are incredible lookers.

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #828 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i understand. if i were to drop 300-500 on a pair of earphones, they had better at least look good to me. personally, i find the w3 to be ugly and the tf10 to be the best looking. however, i would never buy them as i don't like ones that stick out that much.

i bought the audio technica ck10 and have never been so happy with a pair of heapdhones. they also, are incredible lookers.

So, how do the ATs sound compared to the Victor FX-500s?

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #829 of 8,119
Well, to me the best looking earphones are CK10, then IE8 and then CK100/C751.
The ugliest of all are by far sf5eb,second place tf10 and third Atrio. How they all sound i don't know, but I'll find out sooner or later (except for sf5eb...too ugly).

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #830 of 8,119
Thanks jwbrent, il order some and give them a try. I like the double silicones the best its just they get a bit itchy after a while, not a major problem but worth trying something else. Am really enjoying the sound so far at about 50 hrs play time (i think) Listened to Jean Michel Jarres Aero last night, wow
gs1000.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #831 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruits /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks jwbrent, il order some and give them a try. I like the double silicones the best its just they get a bit itchy after a while, not a major problem but worth trying something else. Am really enjoying the sound so far at about 50 hrs play time (i think) Listened to Jean Michel Jarres Aero last night, wow
gs1000.gif

These really are as good as all the hype suggests, or at least to my ears.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #832 of 8,119
ck10 are quite opposite to the fx500: not bassy and not as good a stage but more detailed and bright. the fx500 are a softer version of the c700 but infinately better bass and echo with a more realistic stage.

the ck10 are of course: armatures so ultra fast and with foamies, very solid and quantitative. in all matters they sound good but are not for slow electronic or other slow bassy music like the fx500. my favourites still are the atrio if they were only less plastic sounding and the fx500 trump them in some areas but overall now, i champion the sound of the ck10 as fast, with enough bass and a good stage. certainly, i prefer them to um2 and even the e500 for most things. price is one of them and comfort. um2 has a better cable of course.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #833 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruits /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gs1000.gif

thanks and please keep us inform of the changes after burning from time to times..

my IE8 have a major change on around 10 hours on high and bass, now reaching 30 hours burning...

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #834 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ugliest of all are by far sf5eb,second place tf10 and third Atrio.

Atrio is most certainly NOT a looker.... ha ha. But the v2 makes up for it in sound.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #835 of 8,119
i never found the atrio to be ugly just not graced by good looks as is the ck10. i had the um2 and myself and my girlfriend (now my wife) both found the atrio to be far nicer to look at than the um2 despite its teardrop or slug shape. the um2 in the ear looks like a build up of wax or a bubbling issue of tissue.

the w3 at least is black but the shape is still in the world of headphones, likened to a car: the ford taurus. the ie8 is not much better as an 80's benz c series. the sa6 is a pimped out nasty old caddy. the list goes on. they may all be nice sounding but why ignore quality of physical design for only sq? if paying that much for an earphone, i would want more than an acoustic engineer to be at the helm of my audio investment.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #836 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ck10 are quite opposite to the fx500: not bassy and not as good a stage but more detailed and bright. the fx500 are a softer version of the c700 but infinately better bass and echo with a more realistic stage.

the ck10 are of course: armatures so ultra fast and with foamies, very solid and quantitative. in all matters they sound good but are not for slow electronic or other slow bassy music like the fx500. my favourites still are the atrio if they were only less plastic sounding and the fx500 trump them in some areas but overall now, i champion the sound of the ck10 as fast, with enough bass and a good stage. certainly, i prefer them to um2 and even the e500 for most things. price is one of them and comfort. um2 has a better cable of course.

Ah, then the CK is probably not for me. Funny, here it is I just got my IE8s and am loving them and I'm already thinking of a companion for them. High end audio of any kind is such a crazy (and expensive) hobby.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #837 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atrio is most certainly NOT a looker.... ha ha. But the v2 makes up for it in sound.
biggrin.gif

I remember reading your posts about the IE8 vs the Westone 3 and your decision to keep the Westones. What happened?

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #838 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

And that's why I'm so interested in trying them too, because of their good reputation despite the looks
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #839 of 8,119
I really want to make a move for these but I'm a little bit concerned about the isolation. Is it quite bad? I will be mainly using these on the London underground and on the buses and I don't think it'll be worth it if I can't even hear the great sound quality. How much more leakage do these suffer compared to something like the Shure's, UE's and westones? I don't mind a little leakage, but I don't want anything inaudible.

And do these leak more when you increase the amount of bass via the knob? Assuming that bass increase is a result of more air being passed through the IEM. Could it be possible that isolation decreases when bass is increased? Can anybody help me out with this? help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #840 of 8,119
Hi guys, this is my first post after lurking here for a couple of days.

So I've had the IE8s for about a week, and I'm absolutely in love with their soundstage and clarity. The bass has tightened up, at first it was very boomy and drowned out the mids but after about 60 hours it's almost perfect, and the high mids/low trebles that were a bit recessed have really cleared up and come forward. I just listened to the whole buena vista social club album and it was audio bliss....

Anyways, despite being crazy about the sound these things make, I simply cannot get the left monitor to sit comfortably in my ear. I've tried lots of tips, i've tried reversing them and wearing them pointing downwards, but nothing works. When I realised they don't sit as far into your ear canals as shures and stopped trying to force them in the sound improved a fair bit and the comfort was a little better, but still the left one just doesn't sit right.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if I should try some comply tips? My alternative would be to return them (amazon) and get the se530s that I'd originally looked at, I'd hate to see them go, but the best sound in the world is no good if you can't use the damn things for more than 10 minutes comfortably... I'm not totally sure if I can return to amazon (uk) given that I've opened and used them, then again everything in the box looks as new and I dont think you could tell. If I did decide these weren't for me how much do you think they'd go for on eBay/the FS forum?

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back