Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #7,186 of 8,119
Its silver cable not silver plated. Don't waste your time with silver plated it won't work well. and its laminated so its covered not exposed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #7,188 of 8,119

Quote:
How's the build on the silver cable? Is it hard to loop over the ear? Any pics of the cable? 

Aya you making me take pictures now? :) Ok your wish is granted. I don't really have an issue with rapping them around my ear. I asked him to make it so they wrap around my ear as i think they normally hang down stock as opposed to over the ear. He bent them so that the work perfectly for my ears. No issues with microphonics over the ears. They also seem quite durable to me, but I also got a 3 year warranty from square trade just in case :wink:.

IE8s with Sflo2 and UHA4 Slimline amp/Fiio lod.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #7,189 of 8,119

Quote:
Aya you making me take pictures now? :) Ok your wish is granted. I don't really have an issue with rapping them around my ear. I asked him to make it so they wrap around my ear as i think they normally hang down stock as opposed to over the ear. He bent them so that the work perfectly for my ears. No issues with microphonics over the ears. They also seem quite durable to me, but I also got a 3 year warranty from square trade just in case :wink:.

IE8s with Sflo2 and UHA4 Slimline amp/Fiio lod.

Wait they take requests on how you want it build? That's sweet! Can you choose the type of plug they use as well? I appreciate the pictures, they look pretty dope indeed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #7,190 of 8,119
I'm quite sure you can customize it with the plugs they have and also the actual length of the cable. I plan on buying a silver LOD sooner or later as I know that will also have a nice effect on the sound.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #7,191 of 8,119

Quote:
The IE8's stock cable has served me well. I think it's one of the strengths of this earphone. 

While its a strength of it I also consider it a weakness of these IEMS. The nickel connectors doesn't do as well as gold plus I'm not sure what the actual wiring is inside of it but it doesn't handle the frequencies as well as silver does.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #7,192 of 8,119
@ImperialX,

Yes, for me they did improve with usage. I did not bother with burning them in with any specific "noises".  I just listened with them out of the box and they burnt in with usage.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #7,193 of 8,119
Anybody know where you can get the IE8 cable connectors from?

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #7,194 of 8,119

Quote:
If you're asking where to get the cables? I got mine from here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Advanced-Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Galaxy-silver-/120704302992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a897f90

Hi lee730,

How do you like the silver cables for your IE8?  Thinking of re-cabling and your recommendation fits my budget for IE8.   Look forward to your advise.  I also own EX1000 so hope it is worth re-cabling to sound different from original cable.  

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #7,195 of 8,119

Quote:
So its strength is also its weakness grasshopper. 
wink.gif
 I haven't had any problems with the stock cable or connectors, but I'm intrigued by what you're saying. In what way do gold connectors out-perform nickel connectors, and silver wire improve upon the frequency response of whatever wire is used in the stock cable? Could you describe the differences that you hear between the two cables? 

Gold allows for a better passing of the signal from your source to the headphones. The silver cable tightens the bass so its not so boomy and stuffy. It also significantly improves the treble, that is the biggest effect silver wire has is on the highs. The mids are more forward as well, and vocals are improved (more intimate). There is also more sparkle due to the improved treble which IE8s tend to lack. Depending on your source you'll still have to equalize the mids bass hump but that's minor as you are not adding you are subtracting thus not adding distortion to the sound anyways; I still wish Sennheiser didn't mess up here to begin with though. So if you are looking for improvements in dynamics and overall clarity the upgrade is wonderful in my opinion. I clearly do hear a difference and I'm not making myself want to hear a difference like some like to say.

Quote: Hi lee730,

How do you like the silver cables for your IE8?  Thinking of re-cabling and your recommendation fits my budget for IE8.   Look forward to your advise.  I also own EX1000 so hope it is worth re-cabling to sound different from original cable.  

I very much like my silver cable and find it to have greatly improved my IE8s in my oppinion. And going to the Sony also helped lol as they don't have that big bass hump (after getting use to that I really eq the bass hump on the IE8s and all is grand).

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #7,196 of 8,119
Keep in mind synergy is also key. At first with my Sflo2 through its line out with the new wire, these things were unlistenable for 2 days (the treble was really bad, actually worse than my Sony EX1000). After a few days of burn in though the treble mellowed down and the synergy came back with the Sflo2/UHA4. I even contacted the seller to initially complain lol. Later apologizing and thanking him for allowing me to upgrade from the red angel to the silver galaxy.

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #7,198 of 8,119
Aug 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #7,199 of 8,119
Aug 7, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #7,200 of 8,119
I'm curious about that comment as well. I wouldn't say my cable is better than someone else' silver cable; that purely subjective. But caracaras cable does look quite thicker and more expensive. Not sure if having more is better though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back