Sennheiser IE7 Appreciation Thread ~~~
Apr 26, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #77 of 817
I retract my previous post. I just switched back to medium sized tips and much the bass has come back. Maybe I need to try those sony tips you recommended...

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #78 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will do. My early impressions are I just prefer the IE7 sig over the IE8, due to more forward mids, but not fair to even make a judgment until the hallowed 300-hour burn-in is complete (I know, some Senn owners think it's mental, not physical, but why argue? I am just going to let them burn in full-time for a week or so).

I can already tell the W3s will remain my #1 IEM, but the IE7s are a great backup pair that don't require an amp.

Much appreciated. I think the IE8's have caused people to evaluate these IEM's in a more relative manner. Since they were both released at roughly the same time, no one really critique's the IE7's as an indepedent entity, as the IE8's were the more popular flagship model.

I don't have much doubt that the W3's would be my IEM of choice, if I had the $$ for them. The isolation being a major factor.

The IE8's sound like they'd be right for me too, based on my musical preferences. I'm wondering if I wait long enough, whether they'll come down a bit in price. If I didn't have a problem with carrying around a portable amp, I'm guessing I'd have already pulled the trigger on PFE's...even though their sound signature doesn't sound like they're ideal for bands like Tool/Mars Volta, etc...

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #79 of 817
To me, they are the best with the Senns and other phones with similar sound tubes. What size would you be? I have one pair of extra smalls? They are the orange ones. I have a pair of smalls promised to another Head-Fi'er, but my new pack will have a pair. I only use the large or medium, light and dark green respectively. And I am saving the super smalls (red) for my daughter. However, to get the best fit, might be worth the $10 or so. Your call.

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #80 of 817
Plenty of PFE owners go ampless and love them, so don't let my bias affect you. They have the 14-day MBG, remember. Much less cost than the IE8s or even IE7s for that matter. But you are right, the IE8s are nice, but the W3s rule them in my view. But the 7s offer much of the same sound sig, albeit different, for a lower price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much appreciated. I think the IE8's have caused people to evaluate these IEM's in a more relative manner. Since they were both released at roughly the same time, no one really critique's the IE7's as an indepedent entity, as the IE8's were the more popular flagship model.

I don't have much doubt that the W3's would be my IEM of choice, if I had the $$ for them. The isolation being a major factor.

The IE8's sound like they'd be right for me too, based on my musical preferences. I'm wondering if I wait long enough, whether they'll come down a bit in price. If I didn't have a problem with carrying around a portable amp, I'm guessing I'd have already pulled the trigger on PFE's...even though their sound signature doesn't sound like they're ideal for bands like Tool/Mars Volta, etc...

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #81 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, they are the best with the Senns and other phones with similar sound tubes. What size would you be? I have one pair of extra smalls? They are the orange ones. I have a pair of smalls promised to another Head-Fi'er, but my new pack will have a pair. I only use the large or medium, light and dark green respectively. And I am saving the super smalls (red) for my daughter. However, to get the best fit, might be worth the $10 or so. Your call.

I would probably need the mediums. I'm definitely considering buying a pack. The OEM tips just don't feel secure enough, especially considering my main IEM is the UE-10 pro customs and Westone UM2s before that (I love Westone fit and comfort).

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #82 of 817
I agree, get a pack, and then send me the larges LOL. A lot of trading going on among the Sony hybrid fans relative to sizes. I've sent out two pair and one to go. An IE8 owner is trading me a small for a large, for example. Sooner or later, everyone will have 3-4 pair of their preferred size. I would trade a medium for a large probably. Mediums are the dark green ones. But I need to experiment a little more, since I am using the mediums on my PFEs right now. These babies work on so many phones.

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #83 of 817
Very interesting observations about the relative value of three of my 'finalists'...

The PFE's certainly seem to be the bang-for-the-buck champion. The soundstage of the IE series are tantalizing to me, having been away from IEM's for a few years after finally settling on UM2's back when they were considered top of the universal heap. Lots has changed, to say the least. Amazing to see how this niche has developed since then...

The more forward mids of the IE7's sound as though they'd fit well with my preferences. The bass of the 8's seems as though it borderlines on overwhelming, anyways, so the idea of the 7's being slightly toned down doesn't put me off of them. Unfortunately, I'm brutally afflicted with the head-fi disease of having to stave off upgraditis if I know there's a potentially superior alternative.

The isolation of the PFE's is a major factor in their favour, even if I'd have to use the black filters, which I've read is less than ideal. The idea being that the amp would allow the grey filters to be used, retaining many of the positives of the PFE sound sig.

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #84 of 817
I really love the black filters, and could never cotton to the gray ones, even with the MiniboxE+ bass boost turned on, though I haven't revisited that combo in awhile. Time to try again, considering I bought a box of the gray filters for god knows what reason. Doh!

I think the IE7s are going to turn into a really outstanding mid-focused IEM, which is more along the lines of what I like as well. The Westone 3 mids sparkle and are so fine, same with the PFEs, and even the lower priced ADDIEMs. So my taste in IEMS is pretty transparent, though it took a long time to get here.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #85 of 817
I still don't have time for an extensive review yet, but I think IE7s are sounding the closest to an in-ear version of the unamped HD650s out of the phones that I have right now.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #87 of 817
Yes, that is very good for an IEM
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #88 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't have time for an extensive review yet, but I think IE7s are sounding the closest to an in-ear version of the unamped HD650s out of the phones that I have right now.

Very great to hear that! I hate wearing headphones, so being able to experience such a big sound in an IEM is quite wonderful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #90 of 817
I have the X10, and while they are very nice phones, especially fit and comfort-wise, and they sound very good (excellent bass, sparkle is a little lacking), they suffer from serious microphonics, Even with a shirt clip, they make a lot of noise. The IE7s have no microphonics, which can make a major difference in terms of enjoying an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back