Sennheiser IE7 Appreciation Thread ~~~
Jun 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #361 of 817
I have a question for IE 7 owners.This will be my first IEM and im searching for months.(and now got a headache^^)I was used that 20$(and dont think to give anymore than that^^) Sony earbuds(SONY MDR-818) before.Iam between Atrio M5 and IE7(161$-179$.There is a 18$ difference between them.so I tought it can be worth for IE7.Well i like that atrio's case anyway^^.Also Im open for Atrio opinions if you got anythink to say about it.)
Lets turn that question,Is that sound leakage that bad like old earbuds?Dont want to disturb someone else on bus.Is this leakage coming from its tips or that back grills?
For example if i bought that Ebay tips can that leakage reduce some more?

Thanks for your answers.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #362 of 817
the leakage was minimum, people on my bus would have a hard time listening to it on full blast, but I put my walkman on 23 while listening to it, it was enough, at 23 there is no sound leakage on the BUS. The engine basically drives off the volume, it's very small leakage.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #365 of 817
after >150hours, i still find stock foam offers the best sound, then stock tip and lastly stock bi-flanges

but in terms of isolation, biflanges > normal tip > foam

it is a shame that sennheiser cannot make the foam that fit better so i don't have to make compromise and use their stock normal tip most of the time... only thing the stock normal/bi-flanges has over the foam is the bass that stands out a little better whenever the foam slip off a little

closest solution i can come up with is a T400 or small olives fitting in the normal tip to act like a foam and improve on fit

no doubt it sounds great, but it is a disappointment after the super-ultra over package the accessories lacks in reasonable solution to many ears
frown.gif

soundleakage isn't an issue to me, no one is complaining around me.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #366 of 817
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but I'm new into in-ears, never had them either.
Would this be a good choice then?
And how do these compare to lower-end ones like CX500 (only 25 dollar in my country)?

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #369 of 817
sander, i might be the person you are looking for. I have both the CX500 and the IE7, I can say the CX500 has much better isolation, but sound wise its not even close comparing to the ie7. The ie7's sound stage will blow you away and the mid and vocal is so warm and smooth that you will never look back. I recommend a good source for the ie7 because when I use them on the iphone, they sound similar in terms of the bass and high. When I switch over to my computer or a creative Zen vision M, the sound stage exploded. Sometimes when I am using the IE7, i feel like I was listening to a fine set of surround speakers. I also feels that the IE7 has a little more punch in the low end while maintaining its smooth high and mid. But in terms of price/performance ratio, the CX500 will win. Head fi will burn a hole in your pocket very very soon...

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #370 of 817
Well, it's less than 24 hours since I started the "IE7 - Where's the Bass?" thread, and how silly do I feel....?
These have been playing in the back room all night (although at some stage my nice new Audio7 went bonkers and had been screaming high pitched noise through the phones for I don't know how long!. Thought the bugger wasn't going to switch off. It's OK now. So far....)

But these IE7s - what can I say. Fabulous. It's all there - bass, mids, highs, detail, spaciousness depth and clarity. I finally settled on the large Senn single tips because they're the only ones that I can wedge in place - even so my lugholes are getting sore from trying to jam them in so that they stick! Practice I suppose, and of course the Sony hybrids despatch tomorrow. Extension wise they look promising, but I'm not sure the reduced sound hole will do the IE7s any favours. Hopefully I'm wrong and they will be the perfect solution - many here love them I know.

For doubters - the effects of burn-in, even overnight, on these earphones is radical.

Many thanks to Decay, Mark, Honeyboy, Flying Monkey, h1a8, for responding yesterday.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #371 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend a good source for the ie7 because when I use them on the iphone, they sound similar in terms of the bass and high. When I switch over to my computer or a creative Zen vision M, the sound stage exploded. Sometimes when I am using the IE7, i feel like I was listening to a fine set of surround speakers. I also feels that the IE7 has a little more punch in the low end while maintaining its smooth high and mid. But in terms of price/performance ratio, the CX500 will win. Head fi will burn a hole in your pocket very very soon...

Lol @ last comment. Totally true
biggrin.gif
The more I read, the more I wanna buy.
I'm gonna buy a Sensa Fuze. Would that be a good source (without an amp) for the IE7?

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #372 of 817
Just got some ie7s few days ago. They have been burning since then.

VERY fancy packaging. The only tip I can get a seal where I feel the pressure in my ear is the large dual flange tip.

As for the sound, I can't tell much difference from ie7 to my freebie headphones. Overwhelming and uncontrolled sounding bass and nothing amazing in details. Nothing great, as expected out of box.

I'll post my thoughts after 200hrs of burn in to (hopefully)
biggrin.gif
justify my purchase.

@ Sander: I use a Sansa Fuze and ie7 works well on it. I barely need the volume at half to hear the ie7 well which is good sign as the freebie phones that came with the Sansa Fuze need almost full volume to hear well. I'll compare sound quality from my computer source, ipod, and the Sansa Fuze next week after burn in for you.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #374 of 817
Anyone with IE7 using cowon D2? How is the bass roll-off with this combination?

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #375 of 817
I'm using my IE7s (only a day old) with Cowon Audio7, which I'm told sounds pretty much the same as the D2 - a little less output but plenty of oomph.
I'm not honestly sure what's meant by "roll off" - I'm fairly new to this kind of listening apart from occasional minidisc while travelling (all too rare these days) and am more used to sitting in front of my sound system. But I can tell you that the bass is spot on, deep and punchy, not intrusive and not at the expense of the mid and highs. I would add that the quality of output from these phones is absolutely dependent on getting that seal. I had no idea how critical this was to the sound quality and it's been an intereting learning curve.
I only got these IE7s yesterday and have done little else other than listen to them all day today. I'm amazed at the difference after overnight burn in, although of course my fitting technique is now pretty much perfected.
I am used to pretty damn good speakers, and the quality of sound from these earphones is really very good. I don't know how much they will change with further burn in, but a little more sparkle at the top would be nice. Of course there's a lot of adjustment on the cowon, and just a little tinkering with EQ makes a big difference.
Now - am I going to have to try those IE8s........? Or shall I stick.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back